Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 10:09 AM

850 posts, read 1,031,585 times

Advertisements

At the end of this season's finale last weekend, the voiceover (lovely British accent of course) said the DVD set would be out "tomorrow" and there would be a holiday/xmas special. So you could buy the UK version DVD set now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 AM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
At the end of this season's finale last weekend, the voiceover (lovely British accent of course) said the DVD set would be out "tomorrow" and there would be a holiday/xmas special. So you could buy the UK version DVD set now...
Just watch the region. I have a couple of dvds that were not listed as region 2, european format.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Yes, nightbird is correct. The UK dvds will be PAL and probably not the US region so you should confirm that your dvd player is multi-region and PAL capable. It is my understanding that fairly new DVD players, especially those installed in computers, (vs standalone decks) are either already multi-region or can easily be tweaked/converted hacked. I've bought "foreign" dvds before (I'm in the US) and don't recollect any headaches - I've never had to hack/tweak a dvd player either. Internet search is your PAL.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Have to agree with you about last season... gone before you knew it. I will be watching again but can also wait until Jan. Good Lord, I hope they make it have some juicy tidbits.
That's because only PBS could give us a mere EIGHT episodes of something and call it a "season"

Ticks me off that it was over by the end of February and fans have to wait ALL THE WAY to next January for any more

But I'm hooked, so I guess I'll have to watch, lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,673,235 times
Aren't the PBS episodes edited? I seem to remember that came up before. Can you buy an unedited new season version later that works in all the U.S. DVD machines? Not that I want to watch it on DVD before I watch in on PBS next year!

Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM

PBS ran a commentary on why Matthew died last night. It was interesting. His carrear was taking off and he had multiple offers of work but couldn't take them and do DA. So they gave him an out. He's got three movies I think they said he was in coming out so he won the bet.

It was interesting the comment that instead of season of Matthew and Mary settling into each other, they have a dynamic story of a young, and grieving widow and the new options for her life instead. So I guess we got the best part of the fairy tale and don't have to watch the prince and princess fade off to the every day, which is why fairy tales and often books end at that point.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:17 PM

Just watched the Season 4/2013 Holiday special and it was SO MUCH FUN! I mean come on, a cameo with Homer Simpson!

Splendid I say. (Seriously) Rose has a new gal pal played by Poppy Drayton who is simply luminous. Also just caught a rerun of "Return to Downton Abbey" which was narrated by Susan Sarandon and is a S4 teaser for the yanks.

You know, I think I'll get one of them there those virginity restoration ceremonies and watch S4 again when it airs on PBS...finally. Ok - now somebody bring me-ow my saucer of milk.

BTW anyone else watch Mr Stink starring our Lord Grantham as a loveably gruff homeless...

Old 12-28-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Just watched the Season 4/2013 Holiday special and it was SO MUCH FUN! I mean come on, a cameo with Homer Simpson!

Splendid I say. (Seriously) Rose has a new gal pal played by Poppy Drayton who is simply luminous. Also just caught a rerun of "Return to Downton Abbey" which was narrated by Susan Sarandon and is a S4 teaser for the yanks.

You know, I think I'll get one of them there those virginity restoration ceremonies and watch S4 again when it airs on PBS...finally. Ok - now somebody bring me-ow my saucer of milk.

BTW anyone else watch Mr Stink starring our Lord Grantham as a loveably gruff homeless...
Last year, mid season three, the dvd's arrived. I really tried to wait. But I'd watched the first two online in a couple of days, and just couldn't.

I forsee a repeat of that with season four....

ABC had a two hour show on English manor houses the other night. They used a lot of clips from the PBS teaser, and showed some of the other homes used. It's gotta be big when ABC uses a pbs show to get ratings.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times
Quote:

I saw "Mr. Stink." I liked it until the end which was kind of silly. But Hugh Beaumount was great.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:00 PM

6,891 posts, read 7,962,277 times
Quote:

Yes, it was lovely! kind of like Roald Dahl meets the ABC Afterschool Special! I just adore Hugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV