Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I'd love to see Anna and Bates reunited, although I'm not bored with the present s/l yet! Loved them both reading the letters that had been intercepted by the bad guys! They're so sweet as a couple! And the family NEEDS Matthew! Apparently, the household has been wasting money like crazy...and I know Lord Grantham can't be trusted to invest money wisely either!
Realistically, they can't reunite Anna and Bates without evidence and drawn out legal procedures but it is also sort of part of the background too. His look when he finds out he didn't get letters because they were not being given to him is priceless. Its pure joy since he was so deeply afraid she'd given up on him.

And oh, Matthew. I would call his talk with the Dame a middle class moment, because its easy to forget he was raised that way. Robert will let things slip because he was raised with the value of 'taking care of the village'. It was their purpose in the scheme of things, and the justification for their privilidge. Matthew doesn't see that. He sees tomorrow when that isn't going to cut it. And I think the Dame does too, since she was vastly ammused in her words about how he was going to put many noses our of joint and sounds like she's going to enjoy it.

The story is about the old meeting the new. Robert is steeped in his tradition. Matthew is borne of a newer one. Some of the series seems to be based on the real home and the family's history, and I wonder if this one will be too. For Matthew is right. The country houses that still exist do so since they found a way to pay for their own maintaince. I think he sees a situation where the inheritance was tossed away down the road if it stays how it is, but the rest are NOT going to see it that way.

It will be interesting to see how it plays when Cora's mother comes again, since maybe for once she and the Dame can agree on something.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-21-2013 at 07:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I was very happy to read that the show has been renewed for yet another season...yay!!! My first thought about Jimmy/James was that Thomas was going to like him (Thomas is just pure evil. I have not yet found anything redeeming about him..) When he caught sight of Jimmy with his shirt off did you see that lecherous smile come over his face - and Jimmy didn't seem to mind it either. I was tickled with Daisy - she was getting ready to reveal her true heart and just at that particular time - Mrs Patmore brings her the assistant she has been whining for - and she is rude to her. She saw Ivy's eyes sweep over her new flame and she is already jealous!!!! What do you all think about Ethel - giving her son up like that. It was for the best, but he was the only thing good in her life. It was very sad - and for some reason I keep thinking she has some disease and knows she will not live long. The way she kept telling Mrs Crawley earlier that it was too late for her - if she got any help it needed to be for Charlie - not for her. Did she mean it was too late because she was dying, or because she is so shamed and debased now that she has accepted that is her lot in life? Hmmmmm.....anyway - another great show last night. I also liked seeing Anna and Mr Bates in the split screen, smiling and crying, remembering, and realizing that the other one has not forgotten them.
I'll have to watch that scene again, (only watched it twice) but if there is a glint of interest, there could be fireworks on the way. I don't see it going well.

Of course Daisy was pushy and abrupt. She has a kitchen maid. She had been fully bumped up a notch and is going to show it. And if the very pretty girl he noticed is there she isn't going to get any niceities either.

Yes, Ethel did the right thing. She doesn't want to see her son sink into the life she can give him. I think the set where Anna is contacting the woman is the same as used for East London in Call the Midwife. In the 50's kids grew up in poverty and tiny little rooms. That's what he has to look forward to. Sometimes you have to think of the child. She was absolutely right that a mothers love is worth the world, but for *her*. For he son it wasn't working out so good. As a prostitute, she'd hit bottom and in their society that mattered. Charlie can be the son of a hooker or the grandson of an Earl. But not both.

One thing I liked a lot is the range of sociey we see. In the Crawleys, we see the traditional gentry. In Matthew we see the newly empowered middle class. In the village we see the traditional lower class, and in the city the poor of the city. And its still quite plain that class still matters very very much.

Seeing the alternative to service makes it look a lot better option as well.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:20 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times
They should be able to see that by allowing Sir Robert to keep on running Downton the way he has been doing it is to just take Matthew's inheritance and throw good money after bad. They need to try to invest in new things. Dame Grantham realizes that I think but she doesn't seem to believe she can influence her son. Sir Robert needs to get some financial advice that's for sure. Just because he is a lord doesn't make him right in everything he does. Makes you want to smack him.

Another person I would like to shake is Mrs. Bird. Just who does she think she is judging Ethel? It could have been her when she was younger. What choices did young women have in those days to support themselves when they became pregnant and the man ran off? Ethel was just trying to keep herself and her baby alive. I know it was the way the times were that "fallen women" were looked down upon but Mrs. Bird still gives me a good pain.

And speaking of women taking on the world, good for Edith. It looks like the Dowager Grantham approves of her writing because she is doing something useful. And boo again for Sir Robert for being such an old stick about it.

Daisy was sweet with William's dad. He is a nice understanding man.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,355,227 times
Default Well said...

fellow forum members (each of you of course have some very insightful opinions, I believe) and I can hardly wait for the next episode myself. Yes, the Bates and Anna saga is tiresome and yet always I remain hopeful that something will come of it, out of the blue, sooner or later; but I certainly prefer sooner or at least not so dragging in nature.

I also look forward to the continuing story line of Ethel and Mrs. Bird's provocations, another outlet for interesting developments. Agree with nightbird that class really mattered very much in those days, far more I believe than is apparent these days.

I have to watch the episodes again because I am never current or keeping up with them in a more timely manner as I should be. I actually don't have cable but do watch the episodes via the internet.

Anyway, I am so excited that I stumbled (literally) on this thread, thanks ladies for a wonderful read.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:10 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,301,515 times
HomeIs, DTA is not on cable, it is on PBS stations for free if that's the way you watch tv.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
fellow forum members (each of you of course have some very insightful opinions, I believe) and I can hardly wait for the next episode myself. Yes, the Bates and Anna saga is tiresome and yet always I remain hopeful that something will come of it, out of the blue, sooner or later; but I certainly prefer sooner or at least not so dragging in nature.

I also look forward to the continuing story line of Ethel and Mrs. Bird's provocations, another outlet for interesting developments. Agree with nightbird that class really mattered very much in those days, far more I believe than is apparent these days.

I have to watch the episodes again because I am never current or keeping up with them in a more timely manner as I should be. I actually don't have cable but do watch the episodes via the internet.

Anyway, I am so excited that I stumbled (literally) on this thread, thanks ladies for a wonderful read.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
I don't have cable either. I watch it on my local PBS station. If yours doesn't have it, I suggest you call and find out why. It's very popular and I would be surprised if they didn't.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't have cable either. I watch it on my local PBS station. If yours doesn't have it, I suggest you call and find out why. It's very popular and I would be surprised if they didn't.
Our station repeats it at least three times. PBS also has it online.

In eight days season three dvd's will be released. Yeah!

Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 AM

27,073 posts, read 12,016,380 times
I recently discovered PBS online has full episodes. Since I do not have a tv (use laptop for everything), knew I was missing out on a good program.

Watched my first episode earlier today....already I am HOOKED! Now if I can just find a way to review the past of DA and see how all has come to be thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Our station repeats it at least three times. PBS also has it online.

In eight days season three dvd's will be released. Yeah!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I recently discovered PBS online has full episodes. Since I do not have a tv (use laptop for everything), knew I was missing out on a good program.

Watched my first episode earlier today....already I am HOOKED! Now if I can just find a way to review the past of DA and see how all has come to be thus far.
I loaned my season 1 and 2 discs to a relative, and she can't wait to see season 3. Yep, its catching.

Netflix has the first season, and Hulu plus has season 2 if they aren't available on pbs. I did it in a marathon.

Also...do NOT read any of the spoiler thread. I accidently read the first message. Grrrrrrrrrr

Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,893,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wonder, too, with a name like Levinson if they're intended to be Jewish? If the Dowager Countess has a problem with her granddaughter being married to an Irish Catholic I'm sure she wouldn't have liked her son marrying a Jewish American. Though Cora's money may have made that a moot point.

One would assume that since Branson is Irish, he would be Catholic, but I never heard him or anyone else mention it. As far as I can tell, Branson's "religion" is Irish nationalism. I wouldn't be surprised to hear him say that he is not a believer, or something to the equivalent of today's "spiritual but not religious".
Lord Grantham claimed to be "anti-Catholic" in the episode most recently seen on PBS, so the religion issue will certainly be visited.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Downton Abbey has lasted much longer than Mr. Fellowes intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV