Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,102,676 times

Advertisements

Thanks Beretta for eliminating the "spoiler" posts. I don't want to know ahead of time what happens. I look forward to seeing the new episode on Sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,773,483 times
Ethel was very naive and tried to climb out of the social bottom by latchng onto an officer. The venture failed miserably. There was another maid in the first season, Lady Sybli's friend, who had more wits about her. She was probably a little smarter intellectually and trained what was called in those days, to be a typewriter. With Lady Sybil's help, she was able to pull herself out of the servant class. I wish we could find out what happened to her. The writers could be a little thought-provoking if they contrasted this ex-maid with Ethel.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,366,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
When I first saw James, I thought that he arrived to read minds and solve murder mysteries.

I love it!! Who knows he just might be there for that... hahahahahaha

Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I was trying to add some historical information. I'm not denying homosexuality didn't exist in England.

Oh I know you were. I was just responding to the fact that it didn't matter if it was legal or not. Kinda how things are now if they are illegal.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Ethel was very naive and tried to climb out of the social bottom by latchng onto an officer. The venture failed miserably. There was another maid in the first season, Lady Sybli's friend, who had more wits about her. She was probably a little smarter intellectually and trained what was called in those days, to be a typewriter. With Lady Sybil's help, she was able to pull herself out of the servant class. I wish we could find out what happened to her. The writers could be a little thought-provoking if they contrasted this ex-maid with Ethel.

Actually, I wish they would bring back the maid who hit on Lord Grantham or bring in another. This show really needs some of the juices flowing upstairs, not just downstairs.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,318,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I love this last episode especially the bates/anna thing and I loved it them both smiling and reading the letters .I felt bad for the maid who had to give up her son . Im surprised that Matthew's mother did not fire the rude maid as well . I think the new footman might be on the homosexual side .
One of the best moments of the season is when the other prisoner tells Bates why he wasn't getting letters and he smiles with joy. He's there, in the dungeon, but only a part of him. If she did give up on him he would have nothing. And the split screen effect at the end was wonderful.

Given next weeks preview, I think Matthew's mom is about to replace her servant...

I keep wondering when they will revisit the information that Bates dead wife was scrubbing pastry off her fingeres so completely that it puzzled her friend. So she baked the poisioned pastry? Then ate it knowing it was? Was she taking her last revenge of sucide knowing it would implicate him? Was she planning to feed it to him and he declined?

Whatever he is, the new footman is certainly confident about himself. Don't know how that is going to play.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Like that actually meant anything. Or even bi-sexual. It was not uncommon but obviously not out in the open and people married but had their asides.
Divorce was also heavily frowned upon, and often marriages of those with money or property had interwoven finances complicating it further. But it was a time when having a mistress, or even one of ones own class who was having an affair were politely ignored, and the two would be given rooms next door to each other when 'in the country' for easy access. I'm sure that included men attracted to men, but it was very very discrete. For the gentry marriage wasn't a love match but a property settlement and even the king had a mistress who socially traveled with him.

But Thomas is a servant, and the same rules didn't apply, and those who lived below stairs with him would certainly not approve.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Or the son just took a fancy for her and she was just a servant. And when Charlie came along, he denied it. The connection would lose her her job and nobody would care if she wanted to sleep with him or not.

There was an episode of Upstairs, Downstairs, one of the early black and white ones shot during the strike, which dealt with this. The girl confessed to Richard that she'd been forced into it with the son of a friend. He tried to help. The girl got some money and fired and he cut off relations with the other family.

Maids could say no and end up on the street sooner, or not say no and end up on the street later. Most TV series are about the more likeable gentry who would really mind if their sons played with the servants.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,522,547 times
I loved the way all the young girls looked at Jimmy-James when they first laid eyes on him. He is a cutie. But the way Thomas looked at him was a kind of funny too. Poor Daisy, she got the kitchen help she wanted but now I bet she isn't so sure Ivy is the answer to her prayers.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,336,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
HomeIs, DTA is not on cable, it is on PBS stations for free if that's the way you watch tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I don't have cable either. I watch it on my local PBS station. If yours doesn't have it, I suggest you call and find out why. It's very popular and I would be surprised if they didn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I recently discovered PBS online has full episodes. Since I do not have a tv (use laptop for everything), knew I was missing out on a good program.

Watched my first episode earlier today....already I am HOOKED! Now if I can just find a way to review the past of DA and see how all has come to be thus far.
Used to have cable and TV...however, currently and like greatblueheron has said, I use my laptop for everything and it has revolutionized my news, my entertainment and my finances as well.

Thanks for sharing ladies/gents (?)!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV