Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,661,191 times

Advertisements

Thank goodness it is alien to us. I feel little kinship to that world. I had many ancestors in other countries, not just in British lands. The American melting pot has roots all over...and always has.

Last edited by Lee W.; 02-17-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,517,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
And interesting read from a contributor to Forbes magazine...

Down On Downton: Why The Left Is Torching Downton Abbey

H/T, Instapundit
Everytime I try to get onto the article it bumps me off. Can you tell me a bit about what it says?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,237,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Everytime I try to get onto the article it bumps me off. Can you tell me a bit about what it says?
From the author...
Quote:
But in my defense, I counterbalance my Downton viewings with at least one hour spent with my chainsaw for every hour tuned into Masterpiece Classic.
Quote:
Downton Abbey... is that Downton is unusually ideologically and religiously balanced.
Quote:
The upper classes at Downton aren’t repressed, they’re restrained. They are not inbred, intellectually backward fools; they are intelligent and thoughtful.
Quote:
on... why the left is bashing Downton Abbey.

Apparently Downton Abbey is snobbish, culturally necrophiliac (and if you don’t yet know what that word means, I suggest you leave it that way) and its popularity in the United States is due to the rise of the Tea Party movement and conservative opposition to the death tax.
Quote:
About Lord Bob

The world has to change; he knows it, but he wants the world to change more slowly than it wants itself to change.
The Weekend Interview with Julian Fellowes: The Anti-Snobbery of 'Downton Abbey' - WSJ.com

Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,237,387 times
Sooooo..... did everybody make it through the final okay?

A newborn child becomes the most precious commodity on an estate with in a couple of hours of his birth. And a member of the IRA is going to be the uncle who raises him. Ties right in with Sons of Anarchy.

The remaining single sister is going to become a kept woman.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM

115 posts, read 257,331 times
no, I did not make it through the finale OK

Old 02-17-2013, 09:45 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,100,221 times
OMG ! How could they do that to us and now make us wait for another season !
And, that editor Michael looks so much like the guy who left Edith at the altar. At first I thought it was him, that he came back, and wanted to marry Edith. I wish they had chosen a person with darker hair.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,769,170 times
It looks like Rose is here to replace the Sybil character, just like Georgina was brought in to replace the Miss Elizabeth character on Upstairs Downstairs because the actress wanted to leave the series.

Oh no, this last episode was tough to watch. I liked how the Tom Branson character conflict was handled.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:04 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,661,191 times
I feel like this show is in some weird time warp. Probably by the end of next season the two babies will be all grown up by that time. The time acceleration is worse than any of the American soaps I remember. Maggie Smith on the show was talking about how long she could stay on the show considering the character's age. Yeah, with time going at the speed of light, her character is getting quite old already! For the most part, it was a good episode, except for the end, which didn't make any sense...but I knew that was coming already. The nicer happy parts were just to set the viewer up for the shocker.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:48 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,517,516 times
Maggie Smith was interviewed on 60 minutes tonight. She said "Downton Abby" was moving so fast next season she would probably be over 100 years old if her character aged with it. It was a great interview. Apparently she doesn't like to give them and so doesn't give many.

So we will be seeing Rose more now. I am not thrilled about that. But they had to have some young thing upstairs I suppose. Mrs. Patmore was a hoot. She didn't want that guy anyway. Too funny.

At some angles, I think Edith's new love Michael Gregson resembles Michael Palin. I wonder where that story will go. Mary sure was being nasty about Edith seeing him. I can't figure out why she would be unless as Matthew said she was just being a snob. Or maybe she just can't stand seeing Edith happy. Wait until she discovers Mr. Gregson's little secret.

I knew how the show was going to end but I still felt so sad.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:08 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,384,846 times
Well that was a BIG surprise. I think Tom will step up to the plate and really do a good job as estate manager, I think at the end the Earl figured out that Mathew was right and glad he was drug into the current century. I knew the guy who plays Mathew wouldn't be back for next season and I wondered how they'd play it...I guess his death was the only way. I also think Mary and Tom will become the powerhouses next season as they continue to forge a new way for Downton. Mrs. Patmore was a hoot. I also like that the Jimmy and Barrow made some peace. I think Barrow has become less nasty. I love that O'Brian got her's for a change.

It's seems waaaaaaaaaaay too long in between the seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV