Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 02:15 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,043,065 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone is still watching this, but in last night's show Lori Greiner was very wrong when she said those man made cutting boards were cleaner (less microbial) than the wooden boards. Tests have shown exactly the opposite and this has been known for at least a decade. It looks as though she
just believes all that hype that QVC spews out.

UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.
Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,473,125 times
I picked up on her comments and then the VT contestant's comment and have to admit I was unaware about bacteria on plastic v wood and I don't watch QVC but I have watched many of the shows about bacteria on sponges etc and maybe that's where I picked it up, maybe not, anyway it was new info to me as I have several nice plastic cutting boards bought recently from Home Goods, Marshalls etc - I like the wooden ones but the plastic ones seem better for quick cleanup etc but I guess I'll be rethinking that now. I liked his product(s) but bottom line, it's up to them ;-) but I did find it interesting that they changed their minds w/ the last show when the one contestant practically begged them to (after initially deciding against it), I hadn't seen that happen before (the product was the gumbo brick).

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,305,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't know if anyone is still watching this, but in last night's show Lori Greiner was very wrong when she said those man made cutting boards were cleaner (less microbial) than the wooden boards. Tests have shown exactly the opposite and this has been known for at least a decade. It looks as though she
just believes all that hype that QVC spews out.

UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.
Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface.
She may have been wrong but I think her point was more the public's perception is going more toward wood boards being "dirty". Doesn't matter if it's true or not, if it's what the public believes, your business has a tough road ahead.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
I picked up on her comments and then the VT contestant's comment and have to admit I was unaware about bacteria on plastic v wood and I don't watch QVC but I have watched many of the shows about bacteria on sponges etc and maybe that's where I picked it up, maybe not, anyway it was new info to me as I have several nice plastic cutting boards bought recently from Home Goods, Marshalls etc - I like the wooden ones but the plastic ones seem better for quick cleanup etc but I guess I'll be rethinking that now. I liked his product(s) but bottom line, it's up to them ;-) but I did find it interesting that they changed their minds w/ the last show when the one contestant practically begged them to (after initially deciding against it), I hadn't seen that happen before (the product was the gumbo brick).
Not only changing their minds but if I remember right it was Mr. Wonderful! Does he actually have a heart??

Old 05-06-2013, 10:06 AM

758 posts, read 1,647,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Not only changing their minds but if I remember right it was Mr. Wonderful! Does he actually have a heart??
And they say that the Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day!

So surprising! Though I have to admit, the cynic in me was a bit upset that it was her story that made them invest, rather than her business. I wonder how many people in future shows will start selling their sob story just to win them over.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
And they say that the Grinch's heart grew three sizes that day!

So surprising! Though I have to admit, the cynic in me was a bit upset that it was her story that made them invest, rather than her business. I wonder how many people in future shows will start selling their sob story just to win them over.
All the same, we've seen a lot of people try to sell their sob stories and it doesn't work. I really don't know what was different about her.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,555,412 times
I think the main difference was that she had solid sales and future product orders already lined up. The main stumbling block (beside the valuation which is almost always an issue) wasn't that they didn't think the product would be successful, but that the investor would need to put a lot of capital at risk to bring the business to the next level. This issue was resolved by partnering with another shark and thus reducing each investors' risk exposure. If the sob story was the final straw, so be it. But sob story or not, I very much doubt they would have done a deal without that Costco product order in hand.

Last edited by Drover; 05-06-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 02:44 PM

741 posts, read 1,384,831 times
Earlier this week I watched an episode of Shark Tank "On Demand". I was looking for the one that did not air locally because of Boston coverage a couple of weeks before.

I didn't find it but the one that I watched must have been from April and it featured a man who said he was a rancher and the product was somehting like Echo Meats.

So, the sharks are discussing it with him and Daymond says, "maybe you noticed I didn't eat much of the sample because I am going vegan, and on that basis I am out."

Okay. Then yesterday two women wanted to expand their burger business from a food truck to a restaurant . They handed out sample burgers. They were spanked for a multitude of reasons, but not the quality of the food. After no deal they walked out and Daymond said "if they had a better business plan I would have been in because THESE BURGERS ARE DELICIOUS".

They must have been so delicious he forgot he was a vegan.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,792,884 times
I like this show, just discovered it a few weeks ago by accident and now watched 2 episodes now. My dream hast been to own my own business, but I am not a start-up type of person, so I enjoy watching others give it the old American try. I like watching the follow ups where everyone is doing really well.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:25 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,477,266 times
This last one with the ladies and their food truck. They really missed the boat. Their game plan should have been to franchise their truck idea to different cities. They would have gotten a deal and been working out of a corporate office by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV