Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,196,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Why didn't they clean Nicholas up this much in the beginning?
Thanks like asking why they didn't "clean up" Tom Waits, Captain Beefhart, or Frank Zappa. I don't think that he would have gotten nearly as far if he didn't have that hippie chic persona that exemplifies his old school vocals. The day Nicholas becomes Michael Buble, I'm gone.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:00 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,138,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Thanks like asking why they didn't "clean up" Tom Waits, Captain Beefhart, or Frank Zappa. I don't think that he would have gotten nearly as far if he didn't have that hippie chic persona that exemplifies his old school vocals. The day Nicholas becomes Michael Buble, I'm gone.

Me too!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:08 PM

5,364 posts, read 8,604,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Completely agree!

I think we got more unique voices back in the 60's and 70's before video became such a dominant medium for music and so much focus is placed on the singer's looks.

Many of the most popular artists from that time period were not good looking at all. Some were, but it was not a requirement.

I think Nicholas looks great. He looks like a genuine person, not some model.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I think we got more unique voices back in the 60's and 70's before video became such a dominant medium for music and so much focus is placed on the singer's looks.
Well that's kind of true and kind of isn't. Try telling the Beatles, the Yardbirds, Herman's Hermits from any of the rest. Of course when Mick and the boys showed up the tires started coming off. So let's not become our parents...back in the old days with Dean, Frank and Sammy....

Then and now music was too often in the hands of the suits who did their best to destroy creativity. Everybody wasn't Barry Gordie, or Ahmet Ertegün.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:04 PM

I don't feel I am becoming my parents when I talk about the music of the 60's and 70's being less image-focused than now.

Does that mean every musician back then was ugly? Of course not.

I do think there currently is more pressure for musicians to look a certain way now than there was 30+ years ago.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,672,675 times
Does anyone else hear a Dolly Partonish tone to Cassadee's voice? I think she could do a Parton song and sound very similar. Cassidy (jeez, how do you spell it?) really does have a country voice and vibe even though she wants to sing pop/rock. It's not just Blake as coach, but her tonality. My money's on her winning, too, even though I'm a Nick person. By the way - do the contestants get paid? At what point in the process? From the beginning, or later in the process? I'm just glad that the experience has led to enabling Nick's family to purchase a home. Houses in Mpls are expensive!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,563,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Does anyone else hear a Dolly Partonish tone to Cassadee's voice? I think she could do a Parton song and sound very similar. Cassidy (jeez, how do you spell it?) really does have a country voice and vibe even though she wants to sing pop/rock. It's not just Blake as coach, but her tonality. My money's on her winning, too, even though I'm a Nick person. By the way - do the contestants get paid? At what point in the process? From the beginning, or later in the process? I'm just glad that the experience has led to enabling Nick's family to purchase a home. Houses in Mpls are expensive!
I was wondering about them getting paid after seeing last night that Nicholas just bought a home. I don't know how else they could afford that since he's not working and she's probably not with 2 kids and one on the way.

Maybe they get appearance money for promoting the show in their hometowns? They each spent what looked like maybe half a day or so singing and signing around the country.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Does anyone else hear a Dolly Partonish tone to Cassadee's voice?
Not a bit. If you had said RaeLynn does, I couldn't agree more. But Cassadee is all Celine Dion... unfortunately.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 PM

I have heard a hint of a twang in Cassadee's voice.

And I am THRILLED that one of my favorites is in the final three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 10 votes last night must have pushed him up a notch!!

Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,426,725 times
I can't deal with Raelyn. I still think she's awful. Thought it then, think it now.
That's something good about this season versus last. Last season there were a few that truly didn't deserve to get as far as they did. This season the finalists are all pretty decent. Some better than others, but pretty solid.

Was nice to hear from Juliet again. Love the song. I've been following Chris Mann all along, and have been aware of what he's been doing, so... Nice to see him come back home to The Voice. To share all the success that he's been having since last season.

I think it's anyone's show next week. Just depends what they do.
I think it'll be down between Terry and Cassadee, unless Nicholas really surprises us with a knock-out performance.
I've got Nicholas' back all the way (and my votes)... but Terry and Cassadee have really been impressing on iTunes. That can't be denied.

I'll put it out there that I think we may just have our very first female winner this year... but we'll see. I think it could still go to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV