Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times

Advertisements

I'm watching Property Brothers and one house is for sale for $399,999, which Drew says is well under value and says they need to offer $450,000...WHY? If the house is listed at $399,000 and there isn't another offer on the table, why not offer the $399,000?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,711,438 times
Because he knows the place should have been listed for at least $450k, maybe more. It may be a hot market and by listing low, you get tons of bidders and a quick sale.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 PM

50,542 posts, read 64,549,019 times
Someone just shoot me, please. I like this show, but there is one on right now with a couple who look like teenagers. The poor kids only have a budget of $670,000., so they are having trouble finding anything. Husband wants to be walking distance from certain restaurants, and wifey wants to entertain their tons of friends.
I can't believe the dumps they're looking at. The houses are not even free standing, but they are those 1/2 houses they have in Canada. The real estate values in Canada are really scary.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:53 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,602,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stgs View Post
... where the hell to couples in their 20s in Canada come up with a budget of $600K-$800K to purchase a house, then dump another $40-60K into it, albeit only on the inside and usually confined to the kitchen and living area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Someone just shoot me, please. I like this show, but there is one on right now with a couple who look like teenagers. The poor kids only have a budget of $670,000., so they are having trouble finding anything. Husband wants to be walking distance from certain restaurants, and wifey wants to entertain their tons of friends...
It is laughable, some of the budgets they are working with. One show had a newlywed couple who were living with their parents and their purchase/reno budget was $900,000!!!!! They did admit that some of it was a gift from family members, but still!! It's really astounding. Quite a few of the homes are incredibly close together, too.

That said, I really do like the transformations that are pulled off -- it's really amazing. It enables people to purchase homes in the location they want. And I do like the personality of the brothers, so I keep watching.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,349,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
It is laughable, some of the budgets they are working with. One show had a newlywed couple who were living with their parents and their purchase/reno budget was $900,000!!!!! They did admit that some of it was a gift from family members, but still!! It's really astounding. Quite a few of the homes are incredibly close together, too.

That said, I really do like the transformations that are pulled off -- it's really amazing. It enables people to purchase homes in the location they want. And I do like the personality of the brothers, so I keep watching.
I wonder how many people who are lured away from their choice location by cheaper and more end up regreting it. That hour drive to work didn't seem so bad until a few early morning risings to battle traffic at the start of the day. Anyone who has a short sweet trip to work should treasure it.

It is so true that you can make a house your own, even if you have to give a little here and there but you can never remake the area into the one you want to be. And maybe making that place into your perfect image would be the thing that makes it even better.

I love the brothers too. They genuinely care about their clients, saving what are clearly old family finds and giving them new life, and they are very intuitive about what the clients really want over what they think they do. Nice to see how much caring matters.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:21 PM

50,542 posts, read 64,549,019 times
If HGTV wants to have a successful show here, why can't they bring the Property Brothers down to the USA? They did it with Sandra Rinomato on Property Virgins, so they could if they wanted to.
I'm guessing the brothers have valuable connections that would make it a bit difficult, but they could do it if they wanted to.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,388,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
... One show had a newlywed couple who were living with their parents and their purchase/reno budget was $900,000!!!!! They did admit that some of it was a gift from family members, but still!! ...
LOL. It's amazing what some parents have to do to get their kids out of the house.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 PM

4,357 posts, read 4,757,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If HGTV wants to have a successful show here, why can't they bring the Property Brothers down to the USA? They did it with Sandra Rinomato on Property Virgins, so they could if they wanted to.
I'm guessing the brothers have valuable connections that would make it a bit difficult, but they could do it if they wanted to.
What do you mean bring them to the USA? The PB production company is in Las Vegas and they've filmed shows in Texas and right now they are in Atlanta area. And their new show was filmed in Los Angeles.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,654 times
Default costly

I get frustrated sometime watching. i just dont understand the how a bungalow style 3 bedrooms 2full baths finished, roomy backyard, driveway, hugh master bedroom they say it is about 5 to 700,000. that home was not nearly that much. It went for 40,000.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,654 times
One more thing. They are shown a move in ready home for a lot of money then told they should get a fixer upper. By the time the house finished they could have had the move in ready. I an sitting here watching the surprises of 35,000. Since they had to put that amount, it could have put it towards the house they originally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV