Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,412,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My daughter and I have a running joke after the brothers show the first house. It starts out with them showing a house 1.5 to 4 times their stated budget. After the couple says they'll take it, for the move in ready house, we sing what the brothers are thinking,"You can't afford it, you can't afford it!"
The first couple times I saw the show, I was surprised that the Property Brothers would do this to people. After a few months, I knew it had to be scripted, because I can't imagine that people on the show wouldn't have seen previous episodes. The schtick began to annoy me. Now, I find it amusing – just a part of the show – and I do enjoy the show. It's also funny that the buyers never see anything they don't like about the out-of-their-price-range dream home. Then you go to "House Hunters," where people complain about paint colors and light fixtures. The least scripted show of the ones I watch seems to be "Income Property." People behave more realistically, although Scott McGillavry never seems to get prima donna clients. He must screen for the nice ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:40 PM

17,756 posts, read 30,051,258 times
Default We love the show

Our #1 channel is HGTV.
We know it is staged.
Don't care.
Lots of fun.
Miss Sandra. Sherrod is OK.
Love Mike Holmes. Sad that he has been demoted to DIY (The HGTV farm club.)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,766,380 times
Love it or list it makes me laugh, too. Caviar dreams on a beer budget. I don't know how that works, either.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,921,078 times
Rehab Addict is my new favorite, because they follow a project over several episodes. You still get a "big reveal" at the end because they'll finish a space, but the narrative typically continues through the next episode. Also, Nicole Curtis does more tasteful, less trendy design, and is most interested in restoring homes to their PAST glory.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:25 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,746,024 times
Nicole reminds me of too many other people I have met over the years that often get let emotions outweigh logic about homes. I suspect she has some really messed up financial issues becuase I know that even if she has contactors that "give her a deal" on some of the labor intensive things she has them do she will stil loose money and that assumes that she puts essentialy no value on her own hours of effort spent running around and doing grunt work.

Addict indeed.

The Property Brothers and Love It or List It seem a both a little more "prettied up for sake of the storyline" and more like the often really hard trade-offs that "normal" buyers / home owners have accept. You cannot belive the kinds of compromises that I have seen even at unbelievably high price points. No matter if your budget $1,500 or $1.5M once the money really is exhausted that really does mean SOMETHING has to give. I know it almost sound comic but I have a very well to do neighbor that did spend something over that $1.5M mark on a very lovely rehab / expansion of an older house and once the money was exhausted the elaborate landscape plan that would have been another five figures of plantings & labor got reduced to a very basic schedule of sod to meet village requirements for erosion control... Yes, I know eventually that they will execute some of the landscaping upgrades and no it is not like I have any "sympathy" for somebody whose master bath is now bigger than some Starbucks locations but even on a "Champagne budget" sometimes you end up running out of Dom Perignon before everyone gets their caviar ...

Old 02-23-2013, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
Default Blame Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Lots of shows are filmed in Canada - to avoid the US SAG union rules and expenses. I can't blame them but I would prefer to watch something done in the US.

Property Virgins - I'm so sad Sandra is gone and I hate her replacement, even if it is shown more in US cities. Too bad.
There are Canadian production companies which make shows for the Canadian viewer, which they may then sell to US programmers. But essentially they are a Canadian product, so why complain that they're not American? Do you have the same thing to say about the BBC's Downton Abbey? Do you find the fact that it is not contemporary jarring?

I know that sounds silly, but I do have to tell you, as an American who lived in Toronto for several years, that many Canadians find our patronizing tone, as though they have a lot of nerve thinking they are a totally different, independent country, sort of annoying.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:14 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,546,619 times
I think the point being that if filmed in the US a US viewer would be better able to related to the prices and cities. At least thats how I took it.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,531,154 times
I have to admit I watch it but every show seems the same. Couple freaks out over ugly/dated houses. Property Brothers do 3D mockups showing all of the walls knocked out, granite counters and stainless appliances with Pottery Barn furniture and couple freaks out and usually one cries at the reveal.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 PM

37,840 posts, read 41,197,341 times
I like Bad News Eddie (the contractor) on Love It or List It. He NEVER shows up with good news. If I was the person looking for a home, I'd lie to David about my budget by $50,000 so he actually shows homes in my real price range. I would always List It. Hillary never does what she promises. Let's face it. If you need more ROOMS (not space) her kitchen remodeling, new throw pillows in the living room and basement tidying up isn't going to pull a rabbit out of a hat. I don't understand those homebuyers who LOVE IT knowing outside the glitz, they still have the same old "too small house" problem.

I really like Drew and Jonathan on Property Brothers but the show itself is too repetitious and frankly, I'd like one buyer to tell them they want a house that's comfortable and doesn't look like a movie set or a magazine shoot. Let's see them show and renovate some country homes/log cabins/ranches.

P.S. Does everybody really like government green (the ugly green color in every old federal building) walls these days?

I like the swagger of the guy on Income Property. Scott McSomebody. He has the best commercial. It's very sexy, in my opinion. However, I'm not interested in income property so I never watch that show.

I like Property Virgins. It's the most unrealistic show I have ever seen with buyers who want the moon and the stars but I still like the show. I like that lady, Egypt, however, if I was her my eyes would roll inside my head and stay there from all of the unrealistic home buyers she deals with. Still, she's the most likely person on HGTV to tell them they are making assinine demands.

HGTV should do a revisit show so we can see who got divorced. How do they advertise for buyers? Are you a Pain In The Ass who has absolutely nothing in common with your husband/boyfriend and who wants to be on TV?

Don't like the New York City Show at all but the House Hunters International is illuminating just to see what's out there in other countries.

Do all pregnant women/new mothers not mind 3 or more story homes? I'm exhausted just watching them go up and down all of those stairs.

Don't really have a fix on the "cousins" show.

Last edited by LauraC; 02-25-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,135 times
Everyone stop it.... These shows are all scripted. These people have already purchased these homes. They just show additional homes for TV purposes. So the bidding wars Jas already been dealt with. Enjoy the decor and stop being so gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV