Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,080,165 times

Advertisements

You know what's so funny though? Every single time the couple is totally pissed off at the brothers for showing them their 'dream house'..."Why would you show us this?" always gets asked. I find myself sitting there going "OK you agreed to be on the show and you don't have a clue as to the premise????" It's just kind of annoying how it is in EVERY episode. Same with the couple's attitude when they start to tour the fixers...Drew will look at Jonathon and say "I don't think they're on board" and Jonathon will reply "I'm going to convince them" or something of the like. EVERY single episode is like that. It's just so obviously scripted... producers pay attention! It makes it look way too fake!! At least ATTEMPT reality.

Other than that, LOVE the show. I think Jonathon is a genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,043,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
They show the buyers a spectacular house then blow their bubble when they tell them how much it costs. The contracter brother says he can put all their wishes in their fixer upper house to make it their dream house. Then he only he only does the kitchen...

Agree. The houses need help in every room on every episode I've watched and they only do one room.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM

901 posts, read 2,391,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
When I purchased my first house I looked beyond the former owners crap like tne swirly avocado carpet, pink dining room, dated drapes, old windows and so on. Can't the couples EVER have a vision of what could be? They always want perfect, new move in ready!
I agree with your sentiments. People these days are way too spoiled...and particularly first-time home buyers, who think they are entitled to a state-of-the-art kitchen with granite counter tops and restaurant-class stainless steel appliances. If they so much as tour a home that doesn't have that, they grimace and moan about how it needs to be updated.

Too many home buyers these days want a pristine home that matches their tastes exactly, without considering that they could remodel a home themselves. It's frustrating for people who are trying to sell a home that is clean, and in perfectly good condition, when they try to show a house that has...oh, let's say, blue paint on the wall...and a potential buyer doesn't want it because they don't like that color! Or perhaps it has a brand new washer, but it's a white top loader instead of a stainless steel front loader. The potential buyer doesn't consider that it's at least a washer, and not a galvinized tub with a washboard. Very spoiled indeed.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 AM

18,502 posts, read 31,720,806 times
I am not loving it.

I cant believe there are really buyers out there that have not one sense of imagination when looking at a home that is a resale.

I find the brothers a little ugly to look at.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

18,502 posts, read 31,720,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
When I purchased my first house I looked beyond the former owners crap like tne swirly avocado carpet, pink dining room, dated drapes, old windows and so on. Can't the couples EVER have a vision of what could be? They always want perfect, new move in ready!

no, for some reason they can't.
they think that the previous owners are suppose to know thier taste and the house will be furniture placement ready and the new buyers will just start Life the day after.

It really is sending a bad message out there to new home buyers.

and what is with a lot of the couples getting married planning a wedding and buying a house at the same time. then they tell the broker, it is too over whelming, they will wait till after the wedding.

jeez, a six year old could figure that out.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:53 AM

57 posts, read 162,553 times
What I don't like about the show is how the brothers tend to max out the buyer's budget, without setting aside funds for any contingencies. When a major structural issue is discovered, the renovation plan has to be compromised. I admit the end product still looks nice though.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:18 PM

5,545 posts, read 7,139,974 times
I don't like how one of the brothers has blondish hair in one episode then brown in the next...
I have never seen a guy who colors his hair every other week.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:24 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,394,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I don't like how one of the brothers has blondish hair in one episode then brown in the next...
I have never seen a guy who colors his hair every other week.
LOL! I think they taped some episodes earlier then taped newer ones and they are not showing them in the order in which they were taped. So some are old and some new with different hair color.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:04 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,946,430 times
I watched it a few times, and though I enjoyed it in general, there seemed to be a few repetitive themes.

1. (Like the other poster said) the couple gets ticked off that the brothers showed them a house they can't afford.

2. The couple has very expensive tastes that go way beyond their budget (like everyone on every househunting show).

3. The couple get upset, nervous, and overwhelmed when they see the house gutted.

4. The couple want to make last-minute more expensive changes when the construction is well under way, and they get warned about it having to be taken out of some other place in the budget.

5. Something the one brother ordered isn't available, and he has to make a last-minute decisions about a replacement without the couple's input, and he worries whether the couple will still like it.

6. The couple is relieved and like the finished product, and they like the last-minute replacement thing better than the original one they picked out.

I only watched the show like 3-4 times, and I swear, these things happened on all of them!

Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 PM

8,082 posts, read 4,763,909 times
I'm glad someone else brought up that one brother's odd hair coloring. I know a lot of twins try hard to form their own identity by changing their looks/wardrobes, etc. but those two take it too far. They remind me of the daytime soaps that create "evil twin" characters for one actor to play, where they give the actor radically different hair colors or haircuts (wigs), have them wear glasses, contrasting clothing styles, heavy eye make-up etc. to knock viewers over the head with the message "THIS IS THE GOOD TWIN! DON'T MIX THEM UP!"

I can tell which brother it is simply by the tasks they perform. No weird hairstyle or "trademark" plaid shirts are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV