Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times

Advertisements

We enjoy the shows, but they are misleading in that they: 1) lure newbie buyers into thinking they always have to bid close to asking on a home; and 2) show renovation pricing, timing and quality that is hard, if not impossible, to achieve with our usual, local bumbling contractors. My dream is to have Tommy, Norm and Rich from "This Old House" come and renovate my kitchen and bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccccxc View Post
Everyone stop it.... These shows are all scripted. These people have already purchased these homes. They just show additional homes for TV purposes. So the bidding wars Jas already been dealt with. Enjoy the decor and stop being so gullible.
News flash for you sparky, almost every post in this thread alluded to the scripting. You just failed kindergarten reading comprehension.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
And my favorite is Income Property, so there.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Property Brothers and the show Buying and Selling are not just in Canada. They've been in Austin for over a year. They pay $10,000 to help with a person's budget. Costs are still unrealistic and really hate that Drew doesn't have brokerage information on his signs as that's a clear violation of the Realtor's Code of Ethics, and in this area, he can only have MLS access if he's a Realtor, not just a licensed agent.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
I know its fake, but I like watching it. It's just as entertaining as watching anything else on tv that is fake.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM

775 posts, read 1,259,447 times
Even though I admit I love these shows, I know they are all pretty much fake. I like the Property Bros. show but you knowthe timelines to do these renos are crunched and I sure HGTV has put up cash and an extra handful of workers to get the jobs done.
When I found out House Hunters was faked my little dream of all those DIY/renovation shows was crushed

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM

504 posts, read 852,433 times
As with most of the other shows on HGTV that I enjoy watching, I mostly just watch to check out the houses in different areas of the country/world. I don't think I could possibly care less about the buyers and their soul-crushing angst over the lack of granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and double sink vanities

Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,668 times
Construction costs are extremely unrealistic. Especially in uber-expensive Toronto. The prices for repairs that are quoted on that show are often at cost or below and aren't reflective of the actual cost that a homeowner would normally have to face for similar renovation work.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 AM

118 posts, read 218,053 times
If you do a little googling, they're pretty honest in interviews of how it goes down to be on their show:
The realtor brother owns several realty agencies, and when couples who might be good fits for the show hire someone at the agency, that realtor vets them up to him - which is how you get the "Wha-??" reactions to the mansions. That portion is often shot several months in advance.

Then when they get around to fixing it up, the Brothers give them a lot of materials at cost, and most labor for free - so they save $10-$20K just in those costs, which is why it's always so much cheaper on the show than in real life. They also don't renovate everything, and/or only show the big deal stuff (fancy rooms, or serious structural issues that cut into the budget, etc.) for editing purposes. Often the horrid bedrooms that the couple originally hated, for example, aren't touched by the show, so that will be an additional expense for the homeowners.

I like the show, though. It gives some great ideas, and is one of the few HGTV shows with watchable stars. I can't believe how many people like Egypt!! She is grating-on-the-nerves awful, as are the Love It/List It stars. They make me angry every time I catch even 5 minutes of those shows.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Remember how Chris Farley would do the character that lived "in a van down by the river"? And he knew he was not "TV Friendly"??? I would love to hear the back story of how TWINS so obviously "TV Friendly" landed gigs as real estate sales / renovation business... Talk about right place / right time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV