Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM

4,505 posts, read 8,912,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Two quick questions after watching the first episode:

1. Why did all of the cars stop running at the same time in the opening scene? Cars run on gasoline and charged batteries.

2. Why can't someone just "reinvent" electricity, since it had already been invented?
One thing I noticed was the long line of headlights on the highway did not go out at precisely the same time. The lights in the head of the line went out first and then each in order behind. I suppose this will have a part to play in some future plot line.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 07:30 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
One thing I noticed was the long line of headlights on the highway did not go out at precisely the same time. The lights in the head of the line went out first and then each in order behind. I suppose this will have a part to play in some future plot line.
GL2
This is notable since headlights run on batteries. And it was like something rolled down the road smothering them as it moved. The first thing effected was cell and gps. Then the car stopped. As cars are full of electronics, something shutting off electronics would do that. And last the batteries.

In the house, the tv started flashing first, before the lights. If its sataliete then its the equivilant of the cells and the gps. then it goes dark with a few quibbles. Have to look again. Was there anything on pure battery power in the house?

If a small nuclear device was placed at exactly the right altitude, say on a satalite, and set off the resulting emp would black out everything within its sphere of influence and leave no raidoactive trace in the atmosphere. Fiist thing off was cells and gps and possibly satalite? The blast would eliminate any other satalites in its vicinity and shut down any with the emp for much further away. Hmmmm.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:17 PM

4,885 posts, read 5,045,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Are we supposed to believe that our nation's 300 million guns have disappeared but we have a surplus of muskets?
Muskets, blackpowder and the lead bullets require no electricity in their manufacture. A lot of those 300 million guns would be useless after 15 years, due to no replacement parts, bad to no maintence and by now no ammo.
The quarry reminded of the one from, The Walking Dead.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:49 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,419,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
A crank radio (even if not destroyed by the mysterious force in the story) would be useless if there were no power to broadcast from any radio stations. With an extremely large human population on the Earth, a lot of people would have to die to reach any possibility of survival of the rest without all the "stuff" that makes adequate food production possible in the present day. Especially considering that very little of our food is locally produced now. Transporting food over even fairly modest distances just would not happen in the scenario they're talking about.
Very true -I guess I was thinking of crank radios for short distance communications. (One one we have has a sort of walkie-talkie feature)

I'd agree many people would die off before you'd reach a tipping point. There might be enough food to survive in rural setting now but once the sub and city folk started to make their way out there, everything would be eaten pretty fast.... It might take longer in places like here (SoCal) which has a pretty much year round growing season (and the ocean) but in the MidWest , like where the show is, you'd have to find enough food for now and the winter.

I imagine you'd see people with Rickets and Scurvy (not fresh glowing young skin and hair like the show, LOL) . You'd also see weathered skin from working in the sun. Toothpaste would be long gone...

I'm not asking for the people and sets to look like MadMax but everything/everyone should look a little more weathered.

How much game would be left? Enough for breeding populations? I would think fish (in rivers and lakes) would be long gone. I fished with my family in much of Northern Minnesota as a child. Some lake it was rare to see but maybe another couple of people fishing while you were out..... The last few trips I've take back home (Twin Cities( - we've made a trip or two up North to fish. The lakes and spots are all now "stocked" ..

Old 09-23-2012, 03:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,983,764 times
Would ham radios work? They provide all kinds of emergency service now during blackouts due to weather-related disasters.

Would people use signal fires on hilltops to convey distant messages? Semaphors, or flags? Or Morse code, done with lanterns or candle-flashes? How about pony express for regular mail service?

It's possible to chew on sassafras or spicebush twigs and clean one's teeth - even going over tooth surfaces with a clean, wet cloth is helpful.

Of course, "clean" might present a problem.

I expect historical reenactors would have a real edge, as well as lots of usable goodies, under such circumstances.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,361,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Very true -I guess I was thinking of crank radios for short distance communications. (One one we have has a sort of walkie-talkie feature)

I'd agree many people would die off before you'd reach a tipping point. There might be enough food to survive in rural setting now but once the sub and city folk started to make their way out there, everything would be eaten pretty fast.... It might take longer in places like here (SoCal) which has a pretty much year round growing season (and the ocean) but in the MidWest , like where the show is, you'd have to find enough food for now and the winter.

I imagine you'd see people with Rickets and Scurvy (not fresh glowing young skin and hair like the show, LOL) . You'd also see weathered skin from working in the sun. Toothpaste would be long gone...

I'm not asking for the people and sets to look like MadMax but everything/everyone should look a little more weathered.

How much game would be left? Enough for breeding populations? I would think fish (in rivers and lakes) would be long gone. I fished with my family in much of Northern Minnesota as a child. Some lake it was rare to see but maybe another couple of people fishing while you were out..... The last few trips I've take back home (Twin Cities( - we've made a trip or two up North to fish. The lakes and spots are all now "stocked" ..
I used to live in socal, and the most pressing problem you'd find there would be water. All but a trickle of the water there now comes in by piped powered by electric pumps since it comes over the hills. This would stop. The areas where the growing season is so long there now are entirely due to ample irrogation. norcal would be much better off as it has a source of water, although much of it is still marginal high desert.

A year like this in a time like that in the midwest with practically no rain would be disastorows and cause starvation. Most farmers here (Ok) still depend on rain and didn't grow much at all. Without our system of shipping in foods, years of drought would become death traps.

And its true about the 'weathered' look but I think maybe Mad Max and sequals are one of the few presentations of a post apoc world where they took such care overall.

Some areas would have plentiful fish. Once when I was a kid we went up to the mountains above socal (Bigbear I think) and I caught all these fish, just within legal. The hatchery had washed out and all the river areas were full of them. If there was a hatchery near, the fish would just swim into the streams. IF the people left enough to breed they could reestablish themselves.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:45 PM

There was a rainbarrel at Grace's house, ifrc. I would think everyone would have them, and wells would also reappear, if anyone knew how to dig them by hand. Dowsers, aka water-witches, would do well.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:01 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,419,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I used to live in socal, and the most pressing problem you'd find there would be water. All but a trickle of the water there now comes in by piped powered by electric pumps since it comes over the hills. This would stop. The areas where the growing season is so long there now are entirely due to ample irrogation. norcal would be much better off as it has a source of water, although much of it is still marginal high desert.

A year like this in a time like that in the midwest with practically no rain would be disastorows and cause starvation. Most farmers here (Ok) still depend on rain and didn't grow much at all. Without our system of shipping in foods, years of drought would become death traps.

And its true about the 'weathered' look but I think maybe Mad Max and sequals are one of the few presentations of a post apoc world where they took such care overall.

Some areas would have plentiful fish. Once when I was a kid we went up to the mountains above socal (Bigbear I think) and I caught all these fish, just within legal. The hatchery had washed out and all the river areas were full of them. If there was a hatchery near, the fish would just swim into the streams. IF the people left enough to breed they could reestablish themselves.
I see your point about SoCal - I guess I was thinking more along the areas further north -and closer to rivers, and at higher elevations. Yuma, AZ and the surrounds grows a lot of produce - but it would be pretty tough growing with outelectricity. I was also wondering about crops in general and the bees. Many farmers rent bees, in the Revolution world - you wouldn' have that option. I wonder if 15 years, would bee pollutions bounce back from what ever is , in our modern world, killing them off?

The fish issue - I'm in my mid 40's , and my experince fishing as a child was the same as yours...... we caught our limit and were done. I've fished the exact same lakes now and it's really tough to catch your limit, there is just too people fishing. I don't think there'd be fish at all in some of the lakes without management and stocking and encouragement of catch and release.

I was thinking about this show theother day when I was watching Yukon Men. Even they arent' really self suffiecient. A good bit of their winter seemed to be spent trapping to sell skins in order to buy other things that they needed to survive.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM

If peace and order could be restored, I'd think trade routes would open up. Evidently there will be a remarkable market scene in an upcoming episode, and the website shows a field of cultivated sunflowers - oil and food, right there, for cooking and perhaps lighting if not power.

Little clues...it will be interesting to pick up these little indications of how activities of daily living would take place. To me, that's far more intriguing than all the swordfighting and pretty faces.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM

4,505 posts, read 8,912,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Muskets, blackpowder and the lead bullets require no electricity in their manufacture. A lot of those 300 million guns would be useless after 15 years, due to no replacement parts, bad to no maintence and by now no ammo.
The quarry reminded of the one from, The Walking Dead.
I Disagree. I have a small lathe and mill in my garage that I could convert to treadle power easily. Or wind or water power. A CNC programming machine could even be possible. Not to say that EVERYBODY has the skills to do this but I know of at least four or five dozen guys in my hometown of 250K that have the knowledge. Components like bullets, cases etc are very easy. Making modern smokeless powder in small quantities could be done by most College level Chemistry students.

These would be highly paid skills and there are plenty of folks in MOST communities capable of doing the work. Any good Public Library has the books needed to do all of these. BTW I have several guns that are sixty years old (one 1917 Springfield is close to 100) and they are still functioning as made originally. Some of my 30/06 Ammo is from WW2 and still fires just fine.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV