Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 PM

7,424 posts, read 5,532,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Am I the only one that finds the acting painful to watch? It's so terrible.
Yes, I noticed that too. The actress who plays Notkatniss=Charlie is not very good.
And I am confused on the time frame here. It seems rushed. One day they are in Chicago and then the next day they have WALKED to Pontiac, IL (which is in southern IL). Believe me, I live in Illinois and you can't walk that distance in one day and night.
And Notkatniss/Charlie was able to find Miles quickly the very next day in the middle of some forest.
I agree with the poster who says the writers might be making this up as they go along like they did with Lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,382,116 times
This series is supposed to be based on the books by S.M Stirling. The first one is "Dies the Fire." I am currently over half way through this book, ready to go on to Book 2: The Protectors War.
A blinding white flash was seen around the world which caused intense pain to everyone that witnessed it, and all the power went out. I was disappointed it did not start that way. In the book, it was all electrical power, batteries and guns did not work. They were plunged back in time a good 600 years or so. Not literally, just technology wise. Parts of the book they do go forward in time and then back. In the "Interlude" sections. The TV series keeps going back and forth because well, it's from the Producers of Lost. I quit watching that series the last two seasons because I could not stand the going back and forth bit.

The reason they did not follow the book, which I was hoping they would, they said it would not have been as interesting to the masses because sure, the book gets a little boring at times I guess, when it's the same old thing every day. But to me, it's really interesting. I do wish they would have followed the book more by at least using the same characters and names. All of the characters are all different in Revolution, although some are based on the books characters a teensy bit. In the book, most of the smart people fled the cities for the country, knowing gangs and others would take over the cities. They took what they could of dry goods, canned goods and other things to live on. They put it across their bicycles and/or horse drawn wagons. On the cover of the first book, it shows horses hitched to an old pickup truck.
For fighting and hunting, they use bows and arrows, axes, swords, spears, anything that you would have used in medieval times. They grow their own crops, kill wild animals for food.
I wonder if they will show the Eaters. The one's that could not find food and are eating people. No, not zombies. Cannibals. If you like to read, get the book series! Well worth it!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:34 AM

27,461 posts, read 27,491,020 times
I thought it would be good but since I missed the pilot, it just doesnt seem as good as the previews made it out to be.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:01 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,668,635 times
It went on my list of things to watch if I am bored.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,668,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Am I the only one that finds the acting painful to watch? It's so terrible.
Yes, terrible.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,349,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
This series is supposed to be based on the books by S.M Stirling. The first one is "Dies the Fire." I am currently over half way through this book, ready to go on to Book 2: The Protectors War.
A blinding white flash was seen around the world which caused intense pain to everyone that witnessed it, and all the power went out. I was disappointed it did not start that way. In the book, it was all electrical power, batteries and guns did not work. They were plunged back in time a good 600 years or so. Not literally, just technology wise. Parts of the book they do go forward in time and then back. In the "Interlude" sections. The TV series keeps going back and forth because well, it's from the Producers of Lost. I quit watching that series the last two seasons because I could not stand the going back and forth bit.

The reason they did not follow the book, which I was hoping they would, they said it would not have been as interesting to the masses because sure, the book gets a little boring at times I guess, when it's the same old thing every day. But to me, it's really interesting. I do wish they would have followed the book more by at least using the same characters and names. All of the characters are all different in Revolution, although some are based on the books characters a teensy bit. In the book, most of the smart people fled the cities for the country, knowing gangs and others would take over the cities. They took what they could of dry goods, canned goods and other things to live on. They put it across their bicycles and/or horse drawn wagons. On the cover of the first book, it shows horses hitched to an old pickup truck.
For fighting and hunting, they use bows and arrows, axes, swords, spears, anything that you would have used in medieval times. They grow their own crops, kill wild animals for food.
I wonder if they will show the Eaters. The one's that could not find food and are eating people. No, not zombies. Cannibals. If you like to read, get the book series! Well worth it!
That blast could have been an atmospheric nuclear blast, perhaps a group of them which were coordinated. I'm not sure why guns wouldn't work though. The most likely way the lights went out in the show would be a blast in the very high atmosphere where it would spread further but not be seen and send a powerful emp blast to the surface.

Thank you. Amazon will get to suck a bit more out of the checking account. That is one of my very favorite genres.

I agree, something about how you survive would not play well in tv. That fifteen years would be fascinating, especially how they did the first few years on the farm, how they reconciled it that they were stuck and either die or do as the gangs say. How they watch the children and know they'll never know the world their parents came from, and how much is lost. But this works well in books and 'dark' movies, but not so good on tv. I think they're doing this largely from the girl's pov since she is in a sense of neither generation, the one who mourns what was lost or the one who doesn't know anything about it. She's the transition and this makes her more interesting.

The people who couldn't survive are dead and the ones who didn't really want to are dead and so there has been a mass selection based on survival sense and strength. I liked how in the show she'd never killed anyone, but when it had to be done it had to be done...

In book or show, anything you can kill dinner with will be used. It would be gutsy to show the Eaters, put things in a sharper tone, but it would be cool too if the children were warned never to wander with stories of them and not see them, but make them the mysterious monster. They'd prey on the easiest to catch first.

The son is getting interesting, at first angry and scared and now... just watching. Taking it all in. Maybe wondering if he'll end up a boy soldier too. He probably remembers nothing of before and has only known his small village.

The first truely post apoc novel that broke into popular fiction was 'the road' and the movie of it didn't quite do so well, partly I think in that reading about a really hard broken world where you worry about today and let tomorrow take care of itself is one thing. Having it represented in full grimness on the screen is different.

I am enjoying Revolution, despite the 'lite' side. Checking for fanfiction thinking its where you'll find the darkside.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:27 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,702,679 times
I can understand building something into the show where the outage affected guns somehow. However, what doesn't make sense to me is where did they get all these flintlocks and muskets? Are there really that many of them out there? Without manufacturing capability, you sure aren't making new ones easily so they would have to be ones just laying around somewhere.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:29 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I can understand building something into the show where the outage affected guns somehow. However, what doesn't make sense to me is where did they get all these flintlocks and muskets? Are there really that many of them out there? Without manufacturing capability, you sure aren't making new ones easily so they would have to be ones just laying around somewhere.
Are you even watching the show?
They showed all the guns being collected and housed by the people in 'power.'

And the guns work.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 PM

4,067 posts, read 5,671,438 times
I truly believe that this show is yet another of many of JJ Abrams' follies. It's a shame because the basic idea of the power and everything going out...and what could happen afterward could be fascinating if they did it well.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,140,633 times
Apparently discussing the political themes of a show, be they overt or covert, will result in the deletion of the post if it offends the mod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV