Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 PM

9,896 posts, read 22,105,806 times

Advertisements

I dont like that the show is on at 10:00 pm here. That trash show the voice is on at the better time slot of 9pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 AM

14,538 posts, read 21,352,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Can anyone tell me what yr the power went out & what yr it is now ? Im guessing its at least 12 yrs since the incident.
In the pilot/first episode, it showed it as 15 years since the Change. My guess this occured somewhere in the late 90's. In the books its based on that was March 1998. The books are different in some ways, but do explain why things won't explode, thought not how it was done.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,966,244 times
I must say, my only dislike of the show has to do with a cast member. The daughter (Charlie Matheson) is one of the most annoying characters on TV, and although I understand her importance to the story line, I can't help but hoping that at every possible chance, they kill the character off.

Every thing she has done (with the exception of shooting one of the militia) has resulted in complete catastrophe for the plan, or in other people dying. In the latest show (spoiler alert for those that may not have seen it yet) she screws up the chance to get her brother from the bank and rescue him on the train, but at the end of the show stands up as the leader that all adults (who, so far, have shown an incredible amount of capability) follow based on her leadership and attitude.

I wouldn't follow her to an ice cream shop for fear of it being closed, or me being killed on the way!!

I don't know if it's the way her character is written, or if it's the way she's directed to act it, or if it's her acting itself. But I only enjoy the show when she's not in the scenes. She, single-handedly, takes the show from 90-95% enjoyable to about 50%.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,301,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
In the pilot/first episode, it showed it as 15 years since the Change. My guess this occured somewhere in the late 90's. In the books its based on that was March 1998. The books are different in some ways, but do explain why things won't explode, thought not how it was done.

Miles was driving a Camaro, Google and Apple were around.

I'd say it's present day, then 15 years from now.

And yeah, Charlie is the weakest part of the show. She was OK this week however.

So far the flashbacks in Revolution are really carrying the show for me. In LOST the main story was good on it's own and the flashbacks were filler IMO until the later seasons where we wanted to know more about motives.

In Revolution the main story can go anywhere, but I'm still interested in the days, weeks and months after the blackout.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,734,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I must say, my only dislike of the show has to do with a cast member. The daughter (Charlie Matheson) is one of the most annoying characters on TV, and although I understand her importance to the story line, I can't help but hoping that at every possible chance, they kill the character off.

I don't know if it's the way her character is written, or if it's the way she's directed to act it, or if it's her acting itself. But I only enjoy the show when she's not in the scenes. She, single-handedly, takes the show from 90-95% enjoyable to about 50%.
AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!! I cannot stand Charlie. Sometimes when the lead focuses so badly, they'll drop them. Let's hope they get rid of her ASAP.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,132,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Like the other poster just mentioned, the events of the show took place around now and the main difference between the Emberverse series and Revolution is that steam and explosions work normally in the latter.
I guess Abrams wanted to keep things somewhat along the lines of reality, while Stirling wanted to venture into fantasy land.

As far as the Emberverse books series is concerned, I'd liken the cause of "The Change" to the fact that a vast majority of the population was transported to a parallel universe where normal laws of physics no longer applied.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 PM

475 posts, read 650,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Like the other poster just mentioned, the events of the show took place around now and the main difference between the Emberverse series and Revolution is that steam and explosions work normally in the latter.
I guess Abrams wanted to keep things somewhat along the lines of reality, while Stirling wanted to venture into fantasy land.

As far as the Emberverse books series is concerned, I'd liken the cause of "The Change" to the fact that a vast majority of the population was transported to a parallel universe where normal laws of physics no longer applied.
Emberverse? Is that from the books by stirling "Dies in the Fire" being the first one?

Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 PM

9,896 posts, read 22,105,806 times
Heres info on the series & episodes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_(TV_series)

Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,384,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Emberverse? Is that from the books by stirling "Dies in the Fire" being the first one?
It is supposed to be based on the series, with "Dies the fire" being the first. Except only a tiny part of the beginning was exactly like the books. I am over halfway through book 2. Enjoying the books more than the series.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:19 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,352,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It is supposed to be based on the series, with "Dies the fire" being the first. Except only a tiny part of the beginning was exactly like the books. I am over halfway through book 2. Enjoying the books more than the series.
I'd like to see tv do the world after the change AS the book portrays it but no doubt it would not have enough adventure. I don't think life would be about adventure. As one of my cats knoced water on the first book it got the paper and hair dryer treatment and is resting under a book to finish things off so I can continue reading. Seems its only in paperback.

If you feel that the TV show skims over the surface, and would like to see life from the pov of the ones in places they go, you should like the books.

I've been watching a lot of old western on INSP, The Virginian and High Chaparel in particular, and wish the producers or writers would take a cue. They do tell stories from the town, and with our traveling characters, but instead of how it fits in with the main characters intentions, its about how they choose to fit their needs with the needs of the town.

Still, will watch the show as its not cops, doctors or reality crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV