Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,027,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I read there is a 10 year age difference between Zendaya and Val.

Why are so many saying Val is 30 or older?

Didn't he just turn 27?

One of the Docs I work with is 80 and his wife of 23 years is 60 and they are very happy... like kids together... they both had lost a spouse to cancer and connected through it.

DWTS sure has had a lot of much older women dancing with very young pros...

Zendaya has a mother and father... a father that has been in studio for every rehearsal... just how much do you think can go on with her father there...

Besides... she is 16 and I know several women that married at 16... even if it was 60 years ago.

Several of my older female co-workers have said they sure hope Zendaya doesn't win... they are all huge DWTS fans...

I asked why and was told she is too young to win??? It would spoil her???

Can't we just say Zendaya did a good job... grew from her experience and leave it at that?
I think there is a certain development that children go through by age. At sixteen a girl is sexual, and in our society there is a level of appropriateness in her having feelings for boys around her age.

Encouraging her to dance in a sexual manner, to me, is a little twisted. Encouraging that with a much older man is kindof sick - just my opinion.

There is a BIG difference in the budding emotions of a sixteen year old and those of a grown man. There is a BIG difference in years when we are speaking of adolescence, too. A fifteen year old girl with a twenty year old man is just nuts, whereas a twenty-five year old woman with a thirty year old guy is absolutely fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I guess you guys are entitled to your opinion...

...thankfully it is the minority.

Somehow you both managed to take something relatively innocent and make it dirty. I guess that is your prerogative.

Bravo
Perhaps the dirt is to be found elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with recognizing a child's emotional development and asking that it's boundaries are respected. In some cultures child marriages are arranged by the parents. In ours we allow a lot of time for children to explore and find themselves. Sexual understanding usually starts with tenderness and love and not overt sexuality in our culture.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, apparently there's some cranky old biddies on this thread. Don't know what they've got against a nice young woman who never did them any harm, but apparently they seem to find fault in everything she does.

MEOW!
HISSSSSSSS!

But whatever - as if anyone's opinion on this thread counts for anything. In the final analysis, that young woman still be younger, prettier, more talented and more successful than all of her detractors combined - and it sounds like she's pretty happy doing what she does. I wish her well.

Ken
Lord, I think you're mistaken. There are loads of totally gorgeous women on the show, some whom I think are prettier than Zen, and yet I don't hear people complaining about them. There are valid issues here. I think the 'MEOW' may be coming from your own mind, unfortunately.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You can certainly feel that folks in the public eye are fair game for personal attacks if you wish - but don't blame others when they note that it reflects poorly on you. I just don't happen to think that a 16 year-old kid is EVER fair game.

Ken
Why not? Because she is young and vulnerable - for the very reason why people don't think her sexuality should be used on public display or encouraged to be used in questionable ways.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Advertisers and shows want younger audiences. No offense, but we typically spend more. They don't typically make TV shows on the main networks that air at 7-8PM that aren't going to get a younger demographic. Look at the other shows airing at those times, sorry but old demographics are NOT what they want.
But times are changing and the demographics of the country as a whole are getting older.
The fact is, younger people are more willing to spend indiscriminatingly because they have not lived long enough to develop good taste.
Older folks are choosier.
When I studied Marketing it was thought that several European countries were harder to sell to, and demanded quality (though they would pay more for it) rather than the disposable items that sold here.
Many people prefer foriegn films because they ARE more adult.

So DWTS may be making a mistake in their movement towards the rude and crude.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 PM

884 posts, read 1,064,166 times
Loving your responses and opinions Goldengrain! I could not have said all of that better Thank you for stating it all so well!!

Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,336,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think there is a certain development that children go through by age. At sixteen a girl is sexual, and in our society there is a level of appropriateness in her having feelings for boys around her age.

Encouraging her to dance in a sexual manner, to me, is a little twisted. Encouraging that with a much older man is kindof sick - just my opinion.

There is a BIG difference in the budding emotions of a sixteen year old and those of a grown man. There is a BIG difference in years when we are speaking of adolescence, too. A fifteen year old girl with a twenty year old man is just nuts, whereas a twenty-five year old woman with a thirty year old guy is absolutely fine.
Exactly. A girl of fifteen isn't likely to be involved with boys of eighteen either. There is a huge difference between them. When both are adults they've caught up with each other. Most eighteen year old boys aren't really going to be wanting to go out with a fifteen year old either, unless for neferious reasons.

Ballroom dancing is taught and a major competiton in high schools, but the girls and boys are of the same age and I'll bet they don't encourage the ultra sexual either. If they want to make it a ballroom competition again, it *might* be one thing, with the dancing rather than the sexual overtones the thing that is important. But the way its branched into much more sexual dancing should come with a firm age limit.

No doubt Zendiaha's parents didn't think anything of it, but they are involved in the entertainment industry, and the mind set is different. Ask a group of parents who are not if their sixteen year old daughter should be allowed to feign sex on the dance floor with a nearly thirty year old man and I'll bet you'd get a different result.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth_cali View Post
Loving your responses and opinions Goldengrain! I could not have said all of that better Thank you for stating it all so well!!
Thank you, Elizabeth. I'd rep you but I've run out.
C-D is a great place to hang out.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:09 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,246,707 times
Kellie has a new video out with Derek they showed it on GMA this morning.

Exclusive Look at Kellie Pickler's New Video | Watch the video - Yahoo! Good Morning America

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,113,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Kellie has a new video out with Derek they showed it on GMA this morning.

Exclusive Look at Kellie Pickler's New Video | Watch the video - Yahoo! Good Morning America
That is so cool! Thanks for posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV