Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:07 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Did they ever say where they are located? I missed the first couple of minutes.

I was confused because they were talking about doing raids in the West vs. the East. They were telling the main guy that there was nothing to the West but ocean. But if they were in Scandinavia, then England, Ireland and Iceland would be to the West, and we know there were lots of Viking raids and settlements there. But they made it sound like their choices were only East to Russia, or West to open seas.
I'm guessing the main guy will eventually "discover" Greenland or North America, but I wanted to know if they'd been through England, Ireland, and Iceland yet.
At some point I'm sure they didn't know there was anything to the west. They just thought it was open ocean all the way to the edge. The first Viking raids in England didn't happen till the late 8th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Tami, I think you and I must have the same taste in TV. I only have like 4 "fiction/drama" TV shows I watch, and you're also into at least 3 of them! It would be funny if you also watched The Americans.

American Horror Story
The Walking Dead
The Americans
and now, Vikings

either that, or you watch every TV show, and these are the only 3 forums I've joined
I had intended to get into The Americans but got side tracked. Maybe I can catch them online. Direct TV doesn't have VOD like FIOS does and I have no choice down in this new area.

No, I don't watch EVERY tv show, lol.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
I loved the first episode. Great editing, great lighting, great aesthetic...though I'm not certain if the Norman hairstyle worn by Ragnar's son was worn by anybody at that time.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
I missed it due a family crisis! I'll catch it online. I saw on the link that the first 3 eppies are there.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
[quote=tamiznluv;28527378] Direct TV doesn't have VOD like FIOS does and I have no choice down in this new area. quote]

Do you have an older Direct TV system? I only ask because we have just switched to Direct TV and the system definitely has VOD (and it is much better than our old cable company!). Perhaps your system can be updated?

My Son and I are so thrilled that there is something even vaguely 'historical' (even if it is a drama) on the History channel because we are so tired of all the craptastic 'reality' shows that are now the norm for the formerly interesting channel.

So far so good!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
At some point I'm sure they didn't know there was anything to the west. They just thought it was open ocean all the way to the edge. The first Viking raids in England didn't happen till the late 8th century.
Okay, since the show is taking place in the late 8th century, maybe they're just about to discover England? I was probably thinking they already knew about England since it's so close. Even if the Viking raids on England didn't start until the late 700s, I guess I thought they at least knew they were there for some time before that.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
I was pleasently surprised by the first episode. I like the method of doing it as a drama too. I'm sure they were less clean and their dwellings less too, but you get that hard scrabble life feel and the sense if it being a large village with an absolute cheif. Anya Seton's novel Avalon is set in part in Greenland, and she did close research on the Scandanavian society, and this seems to fit. I liked how the wife herself could defend herself, so different than the wife as chattel in later culture.

I wouldn't call it scholerly history, but then with drama you get a whole new element. I love the use of some of the origional language too. Somewhere I have read about Ragnor, but don't remember. The Vikings society isn't one I'd have wanted to live in, but then if you did you wouldn't know how hard life was.

I'll be watching this and avoiding the Bible. It is apparently lavish, but the producers said in an interview they wished it to be accurate to the bible as of course that was truth. Better for it to be on some christan network. Sorry will pass on that one.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
I'm sure they "knew" about England, since the Romans had settled there hundreds of years before and other tribes had criss-crossed Europe prior to that. I think they're purposely being vague about "the west" so the writers don't have to commit themselves to anything so early in the series.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Did they ever say where they are located? I missed the first couple of minutes.
Minneapolis.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Liked it a lot. Cant wait for the next one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV