Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:38 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,654,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance750 View Post
He wasn't supposed to be admirable. He was condescending, arrogant, and extremely self-righteous. His main plot of the show, was to try and foil whatever Hawkeye and Trapper were plotting.

I found him very comical

I get that, but when you think about it he was the only main character who didn't seem to have one redeemable quality. Even Margaret, when she and Frank were together, and who could be a real pain, shows some humanity, warmth, and compassion. MASH was a comedy but one with a positive message. Characters grew - except Frank. A character who is only annoying and who is played fo comic releif only gets old after a while a show that was as deep and meaningful as MASH (IMO). That doesn't mean I can't watch the old eps with Frank and laugh - but I'm sad his character never progressed like everyone else.

Last edited by Spikett; 10-16-2013 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 08:26 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,047,040 times
I think it was well known Larry Linville didn't like the Frank Burns character and the apparent lack of direction for the character as the series progressed.

For me:
Frank < Charles
Trapper > BJ
Col. Blake > Col. Potter

Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,806,506 times
I read Wikipedia about Larry Linville. Didn't realize he has been dead 13 years. Wow.
Also, and I don't know why I thought he was gay; he in fact was not and had been married 5x.
It stated that a cancerous tumor was found under his sternum in 1998; at which time a portion of his lung was removed.He never fully recovered and he died 2 years later of pneumonia.

Didn't mean to go off topic.
I can understand him not liking nor appreciating the way his character was presented.
He opted to not renew his contract once the show took a more dramatic turn.

Though not the actor's fault I still prefer the Charles character. And for all the reasons other posters have stated. Interesting that IRL he is a gay man. He's very good actor, IMHO.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
I thought Charles' character was more human, though flawed. He did have bits of decency, and he was a good surgeon.

Of course he still was the butt of jokes played on him by Hawkeye and B.J.

I thought the show was much improved with the addition of B.J., Potter and Winchester. So I prefer Charles.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:31 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,864,593 times
I liked them both but the Charles character was allowed to grow and become more interesting. The Frank character never did that and was rather one dimensional. That gets old. The best 'outside' his character episode was the one where he gets even with Hawkeye and the others with a series of practical jokes. That showed another side of Frank. It was well done. They end up repeated the premise with BJ which was kinda lame but was a good way of accomplishing the same thing.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Frank and Charles were both good characters. Mainly because they each were so out there that they were great subjects for the ridicule of Hawkeye and Trapper.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:55 PM

384 posts, read 596,544 times
Frank in a landslide. I am really shocked that anyone thinks Potter, BJ and Charles were funnier than Blake, Trapper and Frank.

I personally don't think the show had a funny moment after those three left. The show got way too political, self righteous and preachy, led by BJ.

It went from a light, goofy, well written and acted Comedy to a wannabe Drama with some attempted comedic undertones.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:38 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,538,136 times
Frank Burns for sure. The character was great, it really takes something special to make a complete buffoon come to life before the cameras.

MASH was about the only series ever to effectively replace talent with new yet effective characters.

This was a life time ago, the Television media is so very different now. MASH came in a time when reality TV didn't exist. The days when water-cooler conversations still existed, who does that now? We had to "talk" about episodes to real people while these days we post to faces we don't know, our fingers do the talking.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,540,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Frank was funnier if you wanted someone to mock. But his character was kind of flat and his bits were a little too slapstick. He was so consistently obnoxious as well as stupid to the point of being a moron that it got old. Charles was a much more complex character. Had his obnoxious moments, but had his good moments, too. His flaws seemed more interesting because you could see how some had developed.
I probably could never have put it so well myself. However, overall, I liked the show better during the Henry Blake/Trapper John/Frank Burns years. I thought the show was funnier then, but it did develop more of a heart in the Potter/BJ/Charles years, too. The best of both worlds, I guess.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,382,426 times
Charles, hands down. Frank was an incompetent buffoon, and there was little left to do with the character.

Charles had good and bad points.

Klinger: A massive cold front is moving in! We'll freeze! We can't possibly survive the night!

Charles: How wonderful it is to travel with you, Corporal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV