Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 02:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,249,541 times

Advertisements

The stuff on his legs looks more like drawing than tatoos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They weren't provocative. They staged a crime scene. Like children of a doctor might stage an operating room scene. It was still weird and a further hint of how messed up the "good" cop is.
Crime scene? Perhaps. The dolls were posed more like a crime in progress... one male doll was kneeling with his trousers slightly lowered. Yes, that's certainly provocative. Perhaps they've seen some of their dad's crime photos? Or, watch too many adult themed movies? Or, have they actually seen something? The older girl also did the drawings... maybe it's a red herring or just to show that there's something unsettling between the husband & wife & it's bothering her?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,245,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Crime scene? Perhaps. The dolls were posed more like a crime in progress... one male doll was kneeling with his trousers slightly lowered. Yes, that's certainly provocative. Perhaps they've seen some of their dad's crime photos? Or, watch too many adult themed movies? Or, have they actually seen something? Or, have they actually seen something? The older girl also did the drawings... maybe it's a red herring or just to show that there's something unsettling between the husband & wife & it's bothering her?
Their dad's crime photos wouldn't be pictures of crimes in progress. His business is arriving after-the-fact.

It could go either way. It could be a crime scene of a dead body being investigated or it could be a gang rape. But I say it's a crime scene. No other dolls are holding her down to indicate it's a rape. Crime scenes have people standing around and kneeling down around the body.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

7,171 posts, read 4,883,615 times
Quote:
Maybe they stole the tighty whitey concept from breaking bad. Or maybe he was wearing the protective clothing and had just taken them off because they're contaminated and too hot to wear. Whatever the reason, I know they are trying to depict him as a meth cooker in that last scene.

Not only were the girls loaded with meth and lsd, but the guy they're heading to arrest has drug charges history for meth. Go back and watch the scene towards the end when he got the call on the radio right before they turned on the cop lights and called in the APB. That whole conversation is about the guy in the tighty whities. It's the guy they are heading to arrest, the guy who is currently in prison for the first murder. At least, that's how I understand it.
Well, yeah, but they are heading there to arrest him for murder, no? I understand that the "monster" guy is who they have the apb out on, Ledoux.

I just think his getup is more craziness than a typical "cooker's" uniform.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Well, yeah, but they are heading there to arrest him for murder, no? I understand that the "monster" guy is who they have the apb out on, Ledoux.
If he's the guy in prison for the first murder, he's not a murder because a second murder happened while he was in prison. In other words, an innocent man may have been convicted the first time. If they caught him red-handed murdering someone when they went to arrest him, they'd be talking about a possible copy-cat murder for the second murder. But they're not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I just think his getup is more craziness than a typical "cooker's" uniform.
I don't. They wear masks. If he was wearing protective suit, he would take it off in the lab before leaving so he couldn't contaminate another area. The machete is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me, but if you google "machete" and "meth" you'll find all sorts of articles about machetes found in meth labs. I don't know if they are used for cutting meth or if meth cookers keep machetes for self-defense since they can't fire guns around the chemicals.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,365,584 times
Quote:
Their dad's crime photos wouldn't be pictures of crimes in progress. His business is arriving after-the-fact.
You misunderstood. Of course, we all realize that. But kids play & use imagination (perhaps after seeing pics & they're now recreating the crime... honestly, they saw something somewhere to display that scene, no?)... look at the lad kneeling with her leg between his two... that looks like the kids are portraying a crime in progress to me (maybe the end in which she's already assaulted or dead), but we all see something different. We don't know yet.

Can't wait for part 4.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:55 AM

Its been a few days since I watched so I'm just trying to remember - I don't believe Cohle thinks that Ledoux could be the killer, only maybe another clue to finding the real killer right? Another long-time loser who cooks meth hardly has the focus, much less interest (drug addicts typically being focused only on drugs) for years long religious themed cult like philisophical structure it takes to be this kind of serial killer. So they just want to take him alive to question him yes? (I'll be rewatching again before next epi more than once probably)

Idly speculating and thinking over the previews; there is the scene at the meth shack, some sort of rumble with the big bearded bald motorcycle gang looking guy who is probably also drug dealer. (I wonder if the dialog with Rust about some future deal is about drugs or information?) which may be in the suburban location where the chopper is flying overhead. Epi 4 would lead one to think that there is some major fulcrum in the case here. They arrest the wrong guy and that's where the comment on going rogue comes in?

It was interesting that the red box in the previews with what looked like automatic machine guns in it looked like the same red box that Rust used to hit that guy in the head with when he was trying to get info on where the bunny ranch was. I think that shot followed the comment about going rogue so for a second I assumed that they were Rusts guns but who knows. It could be that the bearded bald guy and those guys in that garage are all connected to the meth business an they were pulling those out as the cops showed up. Boy that is going to be some shoot out.

Tuttle's ministry seems to have touched a lot of stuff and his occult task force would almost seem like a way to bury the investigation. And certainly church's and members are just people who have the exact same propensities for badness, not to mention there are plenty of real life examples. But still it seems to been done to death by lesser shows like Criminal Minds to have a connection to a main stream ministry/leader being some cult leader of women killing, so I feel like I'm being set up for disappointment. Disappointed if thats the way it goes, disappointed if its just a really big red herring. Hm. Tuttle's ministry invovled in distributing meth for money but not involved in the killings in any way? He just doesn't want anyone digging around? The killer just a former student gone schizo that Tuttle doesn't actually know?

I wonder what looks written on gas mask mans thighs? It doesn't really look like tatoos. Meth formula maybe

When I watch the show intro I wonder if there are clues to things in that? Does HBO do that? In the previews there is the dancer in the flag swimsuit (and btw whats up with that? HBO's penchant for nudity seems hardly in line with a stripper wearing a one piece?) and that is in the theme intro. There are shots of a kids playground, the trucker prostitute parking lot, refinery's in the distance, a kids face on a phone (that one sort of grabs me), a woman's bare back, a womans butt on some seriously spiked high heels, Rusts face in fire (burned man?). I can't figure out my slo motion on my remote to get a good look.

I wonder if this is not about drugs/money but the human trafficing/sex slave business? Entice in female prostitute addicts or runaways, younger the better, with religion and the idea of getting help, LSD may certainly help with the cult religious part. There's always a market for the younger the better. No reason that can't go hand in hand with drug money.

Last I'd just like to say I think Woody Harrelson is kicking ass. I think he's got a harder part to play than MM and is doing a great job. Epi 3 his acting was tremendous, very nuanced.

I see Hart as sort of tortured. He's self aware enough and smarter than most of the people around him, to wonder what the hell lifes all about just like Rust , should he have gone another path? Is this all there is? But he was raised to it and not brave enough to throw it all away, he hasn't had his family ripped away. It takes a very subtle hand to show all the different sides of Hart; Smart, wants to be a good family man, struggling with the idea of what is a man (I think this is huge for him and the seat of a lot of his problems) , but wants more, the mistress and new love is the only available outlet for that emotional excitement and passion he's seeking. he's not sure what he wants he's so hamstrung by his upbringing and life and he does love his family its just not enough. One of those lives of quiet desperation. He's a guy with so many layers he's denying, hiding and and struggling with and Woody is letting them peak out with a very deft hand. There is a lot more there than just a controlling *******. Although I do think he is an ******* because I think he really manipulated his wife with the truth in that last scene where they ended up having sex. I think that's more ahole than having sex on the side.

Speaking of emotional excitement, you get the definate sense that Hart really loves being a detective, really likes the emotional charge of the hunt. In that he recognizes Rust as a kindred soul and is why he supports him, his ideas, not giving the case away, to the interviewing detectives and I suspect following Rust down an illegal dangerous rabbit hole.

Some reviewers have likened Rust and Cohle to be mirror images of each other. I think its more like Hart is what Rust might have become if his family hadn't been destroyed by tragedy. Weighted by responsiblity, feeling boxed in. Its an arc a think a lot of people are familiar with, the joy of the young family, breaking down and ultimately ending in divorce. If there's a twist I think it will be with Hart.

Not to take anything away from MM but is it that hard to talk in a low monotone about despair all the time? I know I know, he IS doing a great job, just saying, MM has the flashy part and is getting all the kudo's but I thing Woody is actually doing a ton with his more difficult part. I'm really impressed with Woody and loving watching the subtley of his acting.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Its been a few days since I watched so I'm just trying to remember - I don't believe Cohle thinks that Ledoux could be the killer, only maybe another clue to finding the real killer right? Another long-time loser who cooks meth hardly has the focus, much less interest (drug addicts typically being focused only on drugs) for years long religious themed cult like philisophical structure it takes to be this kind of serial killer. So they just want to take him alive to question him yes? (I'll be rewatching again before next epi more than once probably)
This is only 8 episodes. The mystery isn't who was arrested for the first murder. The mystery is who did the second murder while the guy arrested for the first murder is sitting in prison. (Since it's obvious whoever is sitting in prison for the first murder is innocent, it doesn't matter that a meth cooker doesn't have the focus or interest.) They don't have enough episodes to give us clues to other killers for the first murder. They have to wrap up going over that investigation so they can get on with who did the second murder. I suspect they'll arrest Ledoux this weekend because it's the fourth episode. Then they'll have four episodes to figure out who did the second murder.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I wonder if this is not about drugs/money but the human trafficing/sex slave business? Entice in female prostitute addicts or runaways, younger the better, with religion and the idea of getting help, LSD may certainly help with the cult religious part. There's always a market for the younger the better. No reason that can't go hand in hand with drug money.
I think it's simply a serial killer like Cohle has been saying since he saw the first crime scene.

Quote:
Last I'd just like to say I think Woody Harrelson is kicking ass. I think he's got a harder part to play than MM and is doing a great job. Epi 3 his acting was tremendous, very nuanced.
Interestingly, they wanted McConaughey for the part Harrelson is playing. McConaughey was more fascinated by Cohle's character and got what he wanted. I tried to imagine their roles reverse like the director wanted it.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:27 PM

MM is going to be on the Graham Norton Show, Sat Night, 10:00pm BBCA

Episode 16 | Season 14 | Episode Guide | The Graham Norton Show | BBC America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV