Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,555,683 times

Advertisements

In my mind, nothing on TV or in the movies is better than the best of books. However the best shows, True Detectives being a current example, are, for me, like reading a great book. Engrossing.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:56 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,138,133 times
OK, I watch the first episode on "ODV". The jury's still out on whether I stick to it.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 PM

17,645 posts, read 22,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Just watched episode 2. Still enjoying the series. One thing is obvious: HBO must be getting a big advertising payment from Lone Star Beer.
methinks it's just Bush beer in a Lone Star can.........hohohohoho......

Old 01-21-2014, 06:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,266,512 times
More like Pabst. I think I tasted once when I lived in Dallas.

Lone Star Beer | Pabst Brewing Company | Los Angeles, CA | BeerAdvocate

Old 01-25-2014, 06:42 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,238,501 times
To generate some discussion I copied a post from a different forum, mostly observations about epi 2 as responses to others.

While there are some things that bug me I love it so far.

Some things seem a little uneven;

--->like the 2 first scenes with Hart and wife and kids seemed all lovey normal then BAM lots of dysfunction and outright nastiness in the next 2. Maybe thats sort of normal in marriages but it seemed jarring. Epi 1 I thought their marriage looked good, now not so much.

--->Cohle is Mr. deep philosophical dark damaged very smart, great vocabulary in the past, in the present interviews he seems so........ordinary. No more big words, no more weird philosophies, sucking his teeth - really? Is that MM's version of something? And the deep sucking on the chain smoking cigarettes (with very little exhaled smoke). I get he's basically given up on living or something and its 12 years later but he seemsalmost like a different person. Edit: On a rewatch not sure if its my imagination but it seems like as they go along he starts becoming more like the old Cohle. A little more interested, a little more philosophical. He addresses it when he says he knows who he is, a guy that lives in a little rooma above a bar and drinks.
I still think its ridiculous that an undercover cop shoots a guy killing his kid would be subject to that kind of blackmail about going to jail.

--->The whole underlying telling of their personal stories to the new detectives as supposedly based on a case review but its pretty obvious its not. I would have walked by now. They probably felt they had to address it seems so silly, so Hart says, hey you trying to jam someone up? But accepts their weak oh no we just wanted to know the process. Riiiiiight. I'd have sure walked out by now, maybe have asked for a lawyer. At least they've shown Cohle the new file.

Jextella in a previous post mentioned this story as how the crime affects the relationship. I wonder if this is more an investigation into whether their relationship affected the outcome of the case.

Similarities to The Killing and red herrings; I always felt The Killing got a bit of a bad rap with the red herring comlaints. I mean how many years did they look for the Green River killer? 8 years? I bet those cops went through a lot of red herrings, ie. dead ends. The basically weed their way down. I feel like 20 years of Law and Order has sort of ruined us....straight to the murder, convicted in an hour. The main similarity to me is the 2 cop thing although Linden and Holder eventually like each other and thats not gonna happen her.

Murder police - they use that term in a lot of British shows and books. I wonder if Idris brought it to The Wire and its spreading. Cohle's use of 'prost' drives me a bit bonkers. Has anyone ever used that word?

Thank you Deanie87! The dolls thing totally raised the hair on the back of my neck. So freaking disturbing!!! And No, cops don't sit around the table talking about crime scenes so their 5 year olds know enough to stage horrible awful gang rapes with their dolls. That's crazy. And Hart even says to his wife in their argument when she asks him to open up - "oh and what am I supposed to do, talk about sickos" or something to that effect. Hart keeps all that away from the family. Which makes that awful crazy doll scene and his reaction, or lack of it, extremely odd.

Add that to his reaction to the girl at the ***** house and its even weirder.

I agree that there is tons of gratuitous nudity out there and this was IMO no exception. My main complaint while watching was that it went on sooooo long. Ok, boob, nipple we get it, there are only 8 episodes you got to give us more moving things along than, oh wait more boob and nipple and now some ass.........come on come on move along! I want some clues!

There is a little sort of but not too spoilery info at the link about episode 3. I think a lot of journalists were given the first 4 epsodes to watch. So they have more inisight in their episode reviews as we go along? Not sure.

http://au.ibtimes.co...tm#.UuLuubROmM8

Edit: I rewatched after I posted. There are several mentions of kids - "you wanna know about when we pulled the kids out of the woods" "tell you about th kids disappearing", the billboard with the lost kid, add to that the girls getting chased by the spaghetti faced man, and when they were interviewing Dori Lange's mom? (Tess Harper) Cohle is looking around and there is a picture of a girl (Dori) around 10 with a oddly huge doll which probably means nothing but it caught my eye on the rewatch since Harts kids were also playing with dolls. Seems all the missing kids are girls?

A cult leader who takes kids?

Two mentions of school - Cohle asks the detectives if a school shutting down in 92 means anything to them and someone says maybe the devils nest they found in the barn was made at school.

Re the recaps and comments on Hart's issues with control, I wonder if his Dad was some sort of Great Santini kind of former Marine? I thought it ironic that Hart seems to want a wife like his mother But he tells his father in law, things change and the world keeps spinning. I kind of wonder if his story about the co-ed was just a story, the kind of joke cops tell each other. Can't know but its possible.

I also thought it interesting that while everyone is talking about Harts control issues its Maggie's mom that tells her "you beat up on everything you can't control."

So Hart spends the night at his girlfriends? Thats pretty big. She said "she wants things" and is looking for someone who can give them to her. Maybe there isn't much of a college educated successful pool of men her age in the area? Don't know. Seems weird that she's with Hart though he seems very charming and popular at the police station, so maybe he's been the local top detective hero up till now

When they were at Tess Harpers house, it looked like the men on horses in that one picture where wearing Klan hats.

The church they found, there was a bush growing in there so that church burned awhile ago although the painting looked fresher the plant had grown across it. Course vines probably grow a foot a day in Louisiana. I noticed when they were driving up that on the second story wall the stained glass is glowing yellow - Yellow King?

Old 01-25-2014, 11:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
I'm enjoying the show so far. Multiple layers that I'm sure will tie together later.

Anyone else see they are hinting that Kohls character I'd the killer?

Old 01-26-2014, 09:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Thank you Deanie87! The dolls thing totally raised the hair on the back of my neck. So freaking disturbing!!! And No, cops don't sit around the table talking about crime scenes so their 5 year olds know enough to stage horrible awful gang rapes with their dolls. That's crazy. And Hart even says to his wife in their argument when she asks him to open up - "oh and what am I supposed to do, talk about sickos" or something to that effect. Hart keeps all that away from the family. Which makes that awful crazy doll scene and his reaction, or lack of it, extremely odd.
I interpreted the doll scene to be an arrangement of a murder scene, not a gang rape. Like they were playing what daddy does for work, similar to how a surgeon's children might arrange the dolls like an operating room with doctors and nurses. It was still weird.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Anyone else see they are hinting that Kohls character I'd the killer?
They're not hinting. Their hitting us over the head with it. lol

Old 01-26-2014, 01:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,359,874 times
I think this 8 episode series is so well done. Both leads are fantastic and play off of each other so well.

I saw the previews for the next episode on "On Demand" and I now know who the killer is (at least I think I do). Rats!

I read about the director and he is a very interesting fellow.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think this 8 episode series is so well done. Both leads are fantastic and play off of each other so well.

I saw the previews for the next episode on "On Demand" and I now know who the killer is (at least I think I do). Rats!

I read about the director and he is a very interesting fellow.
Ah, but remember they arrested someone in 95. Then at current times, it happens again......

95 guy is still in prison or dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV