Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 11:39 AM

3,999 posts, read 5,041,220 times

Advertisements

Personally, I think Rocker is going to be fun for the show. Whoever he is, whatever he has done in the past (or even recently) shouldn't have any bearing on his run on Survivor...but from next week's episode, it looks like the others are going to hang him out to dry. In a way, I don't blame them for not wanting to be a part of what they think he is. On the other hand though, they do not know him personally and should try to give him a chance...the way you might with any other dude.

His "beat by a girl" comment...I thought he said it half joking. Sure, he probably didn't like losing, but I still think, by the look on his face, that he was halfway joking about it. I do think some people take his comments WAY too seriously. And so far, that's all he's said on the show. We haven't seen anything else, so I'm going to hold judgment. Of course, that could change, but I don't get the same vibe as Colton, who was filled with hatred.

Also, I'm sure Survivor recruited him because he is so colorful. The fact that he hasn't watched the show is even better because he won't think like a super fan. Hopefully, he'll think outside the box a little and make his way without the added benefit of knowing what comes next. That makes it great to view from our couch...the unpredictability.

Anyway, I do think Val is so used to proving herself as a female cop and making her own way, that she can't or won't recognize when she needs help. Notice how she said she didn't need her husband and pretty much shut him down? Well, that probably works on the force, but in Survivor, you absolutely need other people to help you get along. There are those rare few, but even in the end, they can't do it alone. I only wish Val had recognized that...she never did though. I think she would have been a good contender otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:42 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,261,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
He was recruited. According to Dalton Ross from Entertainment Weekly, Rocker has never hidden that he's not a fan of the show and doesn't watch it. Why producers recruited him of all people, I have no idea.
Really? You don't know .... drama. Drama sells, drama keeps us all tuned in and drama keeps us talking about it on the internet. The more we tune in and talk about it, the more money is lining the network's and producer's pockets. It's all a business gimmick.

Oh and there is no way that those people recognized him from 15 years ago. He was a mediocre player from a time when the A-Braves were not exactly the most winning team in baseball. Those contestants were totally tipped off as to who he was and what he did.

Last edited by Halo_in_reverse; 10-03-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-03-2014, 12:19 PM

5,915 posts, read 7,056,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Oh and there is no way that those people recognized him from 15 years ago. He was a mediocre player from a time when the A-Braves were not exactly the most winning team in baseball. Those contestants were totally tipped off as to who he was and what he did.
It is very possible fans would recognize him. Rocker was with the Braves from '98 to 2001
John Rocker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During those years, they won their division every year
List of Atlanta Braves seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,261,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
It is very possible fans would recognize him. Rocker was with the Braves from '98 to 2001
John Rocker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During those years, they won their division every year
List of Atlanta Braves seasons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I highly doubt any one of the other contestants knew who he was on their own without a little intel from producers. Had he of been Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux or Tom Glavin then we would be talking a different story ... but trust me .... Rocker's not that memorable and had he met me on the street I would not have known who he was and btw, I've been a Braves fan for a very long time. I was at game #3 of the '91 NLCS game against the Pirates. Trust me ... Rocker's not that memorable especially based strictly on looks alone. He could have gone that entire game and not said who he was (without production interference) and as long as he kept his mouth shut - he could have flown under the radar.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 PM

186 posts, read 194,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Personally, I think Rocker is going to be fun for the show. Whoever he is, whatever he has done in the past (or even recently) shouldn't have any bearing on his run on Survivor...but from next week's episode, it looks like the others are going to hang him out to dry. In a way, I don't blame them for not wanting to be a part of what they think he is. On the other hand though, they do not know him personally and should try to give him a chance...the way you might with any other dude.

His "beat by a girl" comment...I thought he said it half joking. Sure, he probably didn't like losing, but I still think, by the look on his face, that he was halfway joking about it. I do think some people take his comments WAY too seriously. And so far, that's all he's said on the show. We haven't seen anything else, so I'm going to hold judgment. Of course, that could change, but I don't get the same vibe as Colton, who was filled with hatred.

Also, I'm sure Survivor recruited him because he is so colorful. The fact that he hasn't watched the show is even better because he won't think like a super fan. Hopefully, he'll think outside the box a little and make his way without the added benefit of knowing what comes next. That makes it great to view from our couch...the unpredictability.

Anyway, I do think Val is so used to proving herself as a female cop and making her own way, that she can't or won't recognize when she needs help. Notice how she said she didn't need her husband and pretty much shut him down? Well, that probably works on the force, but in Survivor, you absolutely need other people to help you get along. There are those rare few, but even in the end, they can't do it alone. I only wish Val had recognized that...she never did though. I think she would have been a good contender otherwise.

OK so obviously you think his comment about being beat by a girl was half joking. I thought so too but figured he'd get heat for it. Since that's the only comment he made on the show so far as you point out...what are the other comments he's made that you think people are taking "WAY too seriously?"

Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,028,849 times
Quote:
I highly doubt any one of the other contestants knew who he was on their own without a little intel from producers. Had he of been Chipper Jones, Greg Maddux or Tom Glavin then we would be talking a different story ... but trust me .... Rocker's not that memorable and had he met me on the street I would not have known who he was and btw, I've been a Braves fan for a very long time. I was at game #3 of the '91 NLCS game against the Pirates. Trust me ... Rocker's not that memorable especially based strictly on looks alone. He could have gone that entire game and not said who he was (without production interference) and as long as he kept his mouth shut - he could have flown under the radar.
I'm not much of a baseball fan (only pay attention during the playoffs) and I knew who John Rocker was. He was recognizable to me because he always seemed like he couldn't contain his energy when he was pitching.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:48 PM

3,999 posts, read 5,041,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaMoBThere View Post
OK so obviously you think his comment about being beat by a girl was half joking. I thought so too but figured he'd get heat for it. Since that's the only comment he made on the show so far as you point out...what are the other comments he's made that you think people are taking "WAY too seriously?"
I probably overstated a bit...

I understand he has a history and not a favorable one regarding his thoughts and comments. I'm not condoning anything he said. I do, however, think that the fire some folks feel about him being on the show is too much. I liken it to Jimmy Johnson a few years back...I did NOT want to see him on Survivor. I did like him while he was coaching the Cowboys but I was just over him entirely. But in the context of the show, I put aside any prior knowledge of him, and just enjoyed his time there...and I actually did enjoy him. It's crazy but I think we have to see what we have in front of us...and trust me, I know there's a TON of editing and they're probably saving the juicy parts for later, but until then, I think we all need to relax a bit.

Also, I really did think he was joking, even if he hated losing. Oh, and I agree that probably the contestants, other than maybe one or two, knew who he is and all the notoriety that goes with him. People can be very harsh...maybe he deserves it, maybe he doesn't. I just haven't seen enough yet.

I'll probably end up changing my mind...

Old 10-03-2014, 02:14 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,303,133 times
Quote:
Really? You don't know .... drama. Drama sells, drama keeps us all tuned in and drama keeps us talking about it on the internet. The more we tune in and talk about it, the more money is lining the network's and producer's pockets. It's all a business gimmick.

I guess I should clarify. What I meant was why him? When you're trying to decide someone to recruit for the show, how do you just happen to think of John Rocker of all the people out there that could create drama?

Old 10-03-2014, 02:17 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,250,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Just because Dave said it's not an idol doesn't mean it's not an idol. Whether or not it's an idol remains to be seen, but we know from past seasons that decorative things around camp have been idols. Hiding in plain sight.
Or maybe it's some secret key puzzle piece to be used in the future during an individual immunity challenge. One that let's you skip a segment and jump ahead.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:48 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,256,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
In an interview on Entertainment Weekly, Jeff says the story isn't over yet. There's a punchline still to come. I'm guessing they find the flint.
Like it was in somebody's pocket the whole time or somebody actually took it & hid like past players ahem dumping teammate's water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I saw her cop/authority side come into play when she was trying to get Baylor to "own it" she was getting to twisted about it. I thought then ruh roh she's gone. Bet she had an "I don't need you" chip on her shoulder around camp too. I really wanted to see her in the challenges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV