Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 11:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

@Jay--
If you watch all the episodes you will see all of those play--don't want to give away anything to new thread readers...

I didn't mean I didn't like Amy W's acting--I thought she was great at giving very subtle clues to her personality...it was a very nuanced performance...

and you are right -- I noticed the Venice canals and other location shooting--I just know that sometimes shows are piece-mealed and can be shot in more than one location to save money

Another thing I noticed was that episodes were written by different writers--George Peliocanos (I know that is spelled wrong) did one of the stronger ones (IMO)...and Michael Connelly wrote some himself...which kept the tenor of the novels very close to home...
Normally if the writing is strong, every aspect benefits--especially character development and acting--

For what it is worth--the doctor whose dog discovers the bone on the hillside played the husband who shot Gatsby in the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow version of "The Great Gatsby"--Scott Wilson---don't know that he has done much since then but I recognize that voice any time I hear it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 PM

7,380 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Think it is strange that someone in Denmark is watching via HBO when Amazon has a nordic presence--
anyway, they can watch it...but wonder if HBO had any money in the deal--that seems very strange bedfellows, doesn't it???

Right now I think it is only available in US to Amazon Prime members--meaning it is free if you pay the yearly fee--and don't think you can buy the episodes individually like you can many television/movie features on Amazon streaming site...
probably trying to drive people to subscribe to Prime
I went on Amazon's website, and the first thing I saw was an ad for the show. $99 a year for Prime. So no, I don't think I'll spring for that! The first episode is free, though. (A tried and true way to get you hooked...)

Old 02-15-2015, 11:59 PM

Amazon Prime has more to offer than just "Bosch"--lots of other steaming movies and tv shows--as good or better than Netflix's selections

and you can add family members to your Prime membership--
my daughter is on my account and gets free shipping for her orders when she shops on Amazon

so you are getting more than one television series

Old 02-16-2015, 05:58 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I have read all the Bosch books over the years but none so recent that I have a very set idea of Bosch in my mind. Maybe that helped I don't know but I just finished the series and I really liked it.
In the books Bosch really likes LA and I think LA is portrayed in the series and I like that. As a matter of fact, sitting here in the winter dreary gray days north and seeing all that sun I was feeling life is too short to live without all that sun!
I enjoyed the pilot and waited eagerly for the rest of the series which I think delivered despite what some of the reviews out there are nitpicking about.
Normally I hate books turned into movies/tv shows but this didn't bother me even though if I think hard enough I think I had a slightly different version of Bosch as someone more slight, a little more bookish.
Its a hard character to bring to life, I do agree with the reviewers on that. So much of the books is Bosch in his head, being taciturn...how do you convey that? Its like the reviewers who complain about not having any "fire" have watched way to much CGI battle movies. BLECH! So happy this had none of that.
Eagerly awaiting the second season.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Long wait, I imagine---but yes--definitely hope Amazon continues with the series

and re Harry in his head--yes--lot of internal conversation and one thing I am glad they didn't choose to do was have a voice-over narrator...
there are times I think that feature does help a movie but the writing in this was so strong and Welliver's performance was nuanced enough that it could convey most of what he was thinking...

Old 02-16-2015, 01:46 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,403 times
We binge watched it over this weekend and just finished the finale. Absolutely loved it! I've read all of Michael Connelly's books and really feel they captured the essence of them.

Agreed on the theme music - it should be a jazz tune. Loved his turntable set up - very true to character with the tube pre-amp.

Titus Welliver was great as Harry, overall, I was very pleased with the casting. It was amazing to see these characters, whom I feel I know well through the books, come to life.

The city of Los Angeles is really like a character in the novels, it was beautiful to see it on screen. Harry's house was not like I had envisioned, but the view from it was spot on.

Really hope that Amazon picks this up for many more seasons.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:53 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
... and the name made me think of the painter, not a crime drama tv show.
The character is Harry (for short) Bosch.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...chael-connelly

Old 02-16-2015, 02:03 PM

997 posts, read 1,061,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
@Jay--

For what it is worth--the doctor whose dog discovers the bone on the hillside played the husband who shot Gatsby in the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow version of "The Great Gatsby"--Scott Wilson---don't know that he has done much since then but I recognize that voice any time I hear it...
Wow, I knew I recognized him from somewhere! IMDB shows that he has worked consistently over the years

Old 02-16-2015, 04:17 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
Agreed on the theme music - it should be a jazz tune. Loved his turntable set up - very true to character with the tube pre-amp.
I was happy to see the turntable, too. Somehow, even in the latest books, Harry has stuck with CDs. I googled his turntable. It was made in 1975 by Marantz. It's an expensive vintage turntable. I don't know if I'd want to spend that much money on such an oldie.

Marantz Model 6300 turntable | eBay

Quote:
The city of Los Angeles is really like a character in the novels, it was beautiful to see it on screen. Harry's house was not like I had envisioned, but the view from it was spot on.
The house was exactly what I thought it would be, near Mulholland and hanging over the Hollywood Freeway.

Quote:
Really hope that Amazon picks this up for many more seasons.
Same here.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:31 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Clark, the program is an Amazon product so yeah, the only place to see it (far as I know) is streaming on Amazon TV.

Others above, there's an interview on imdb with Welliver, Hector (the partner detective), and executive producer Michael Connelly, 7:44.

I had watched the first episode a couple of days earlier but kept dozing off. So last night I plugged in the last fifteen minutes of epi01, then binged the other nine episodes. It got better as it proceeded and I stayed awake for the entire production. Now ready for Season02 since Netflix has taken down Season03 of House of Cards...
The link brings up an interview with actors, etc., from a show called Vikings. Is there another link available that brings us to Bosch?

Love the show, btw. It brings many of the elements of the books alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV