Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 07:12 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,738,537 times

Advertisements

3 things to turn Season 6 around:

1.) An awesome "Battle of the Bastards"

2.) Drogon destroys the slaver armada with extra special effects.

3.) Margery betrays and kills High Sparrow and Cersei unleashes
Franken Mountain on the rest of the sparrows with some especially
gruesome skull crushing scenes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 07:39 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,874,342 times
I have to agree - the Arya story ended with a whimper. That was it?! Guyo looks at her like 'mmkay, cya'....?? Wha?! After all that that's how she goes back home? Bleh. That story line could have been super interesting but they really never explored much about what they are/do - the philosophy. Oh well.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 AM

2,542 posts, read 3,751,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I haven't read the books, so I don't know if all that was even in the books.

I'd assumed since the Waif was training blind Arya that she had been trained that way too, that it was a step to becoming a faceless man.

If that's not the case, then yes it was a great move!

Either way, I'm glad that Waif is dead and gone, I didn't like her at all.
I haven't read the books either and probably never will, my post was purely from a TV watcher perspective.

Arya's training with Waif was all over this season's episodes. Remember those boring scenes with Waif beating blind Arya again and again? That was Arya's training I was referring to in my previous post. She took her training to heart and used it to her full advantage to kill Waif.

I gotta give it to the writers. I didn't see the point of those boring scenes with Arya getting beaten repeatedly by Waif, clearly out of her league but still fighting. After last week's episode, I finally got it. But I would've probably been happier if they wrapped up Arya's storyline in Dravos sooner. Glad it's over and may we never see that guy and his many face Gods storyline again.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,371,434 times
I was looking forward to this ep since there's only 3 left for the season. I admit I had expectations (uh oh!), so I am aware that I was setting myself up to be disappointed. I expected major action and significant shifts in the storylines. What I got was Arya beating the Terminator off-screen and then Jaqen saying "Okay, no probs, bye", the Hound hacking his way through the countryside, the end of the (boring) Riverrun siege, middle-school teasing of Podrick by Bronn, and the Greyworm and Missandre Comedy Hour (which was especially bad, and I cannot believe the producers decided to waste what little precious time is left on that).

Yes, this is a fantasy show, and I am willing to suspend disbelief in order to be entertained. Unfortunately, fantasy shows are not immune to bad writing, and I'm beginning to think it's the writers who are living in a fantasy world if they think this episode was compelling entertainment IMO they seem to be lost without the guidance of the books.

Oh well, I'm usually pretty good at accepting stuff at face value. Time for me to drop the expectations. The production value is still incredibly high, the show is a visual feast for the eyes, and the acting is wonderful, but the writing has taken a definite nosedive (all IMHO, of course).

Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,837,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
3 things to turn Season 6 around:

1.) An awesome "Battle of the Bastards"

2.) Drogon destroys the slaver armada with extra special effects.

3.) Margery betrays and kills High Sparrow and Cersei unleashes
Franken Mountain on the rest of the sparrows with some especially
gruesome skull crushing scenes.
I agree. with #3 especially. I would love to see what Margaery and Cersei have up their sleeve. I would also love to see them give that Septa a good bashing and do it by teaming up. I have said it before, I think Cersei has realized that the Tyrells really weren't the enemies and she made a big mistake. However, I am pretty sure Margaery would like to have Cersei killed, so I don't see an alliance happening, unless that's Margaery's plan, to play nice and be a fake ally in order to get Cersei.

I think what's happening is Margaery has realized how dangerous this game has gotten and to her, her family is more important than being the Queen. I think whatever plan she has in motion is to destroy the faith militant, and help her brother escape. I think once she gets Loras freed, they will make a run for it but both survive, one dies or both die. But I think that's more or less what Margaery is up to.

I think Cersei just wants to kill them all and if Margaery is in the same room as the faith militant when it happens she will gladly kill her too.

I think the Tyrells will escape, Cersei will destroy the whole damn place which will lead to Tommen's death.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:23 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,837,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I was looking forward to this ep since there's only 3 left for the season. I admit I had expectations (uh oh!), so I am aware that I was setting myself up to be disappointed. I expected major action and significant shifts in the storylines. What I got was Arya beating the Terminator off-screen and then Jaqen saying "Okay, no probs, bye", the Hound hacking his way through the countryside, the end of the (boring) Riverrun siege, middle-school teasing of Podrick by Bronn, and the Greyworm and Missandre Comedy Hour (which was especially bad, and I cannot believe the producers decided to waste what little precious time is left on that).

Yes, this is a fantasy show, and I am willing to suspend disbelief in order to be entertained. Unfortunately, fantasy shows are not immune to bad writing, and I'm beginning to think it's the writers who are living in a fantasy world if they think this episode was compelling entertainment IMO they seem to be lost without the guidance of the books.

Oh well, I'm usually pretty good at accepting stuff at face value. Time for me to drop the expectations. The production value is still incredibly high, the show is a visual feast for the eyes, and the acting is wonderful, but the writing has taken a definite nosedive (all IMHO, of course).
I think your summary is on point. The stories have gotten very stale and too dragged out. I actually think this season is better than last. Actually I would put this as the 4th best season as I think season 2, 3, and 4 (in no order) were the best. Season 1 was solid but was also slow and really didn't get good until the very end. Season 5 I thought was the worst (doesn't mean it was bad) and much like Season 1, didn't get pretty good until the end.

I think what this season though has done the worst of is the use of certain characters. Tyrion and Varys were really wasted this season. I sometimes actually forget that they were on. Cersei, let's be frank, hasn't done much until the last episode, she has been less interesting. Jon Snow also felt like a waste. He was brought back to life, but hasn't done very much since. Littlefinger might as well not exist as far as this season is concerned. The Mountain up until this last episode has done nothing. I dunno it just feels like they didn't do a very good job with the characters.

However, I will say there is progress and much needed progress. You can see how the Greyjoys and the Dany are going to ally themselves. You can see that Varys is going to recruit allies in westeros. The Tyrell and Lannister alliance is completely done. The Starks on their way to taking back Winterfell. So there has been progress, it's just it feels off though.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:36 AM

677 posts, read 656,426 times
Although this season has probably had the worst use of Tyrion of any season, and this last episode was the weakest episode of this season so far. That being said, I think this has been one of the better seasons overall, has had plenty of great moments, and with the Battle of the Bastards, more movement from Dany, possibly more revelations from Bran still and other things that are hanging .... I think that the finish to this season will be excellent as well.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:00 PM

4,719 posts, read 5,997,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Although this season has probably had the worst use of Tyrion of any season, and this last episode was the weakest episode of this season so far. That being said, I think this has been one of the better seasons overall, has had plenty of great moments, and with the Battle of the Bastards, more movement from Dany, possibly more revelations from Bran still and other things that are hanging .... I think that the finish to this season will be excellent as well.
As a reminder, as well, this week's episode is a full 60 minutes, and the following week is a record setting 69 minutes.

With Blackwater in season 2 and the battle at the Wall in Season 4, episode 9s have often focused on large scale battles or major plot turns (Ned's beheading in season 1, and the Red Wedding in season 3) - I suspect most of The Battle of The B---- will focus on that battle.

My guess is that Jon and the Wildlings will be on the verge of losing when Littlefinger shows up with his army. But, I don't have any spoilers or special knowledge.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:16 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,032,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
What do you make of Jaqen's reaction at the end? His little cryptic smile at Arya's speech and exit bug me.
I took it as he always knew she wasn't cut out to be an assassin for the faceless god. He was just waiting for her to realize it herself. He would always ask the question "What is your name?" and this final time, she did not lie to him. All other times, Arya had given him the answer he wanted to hear "A girl has no name", but it wasn't the truth that he could see in her.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM

607 posts, read 1,266,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I haven't read the books either and probably never will, my post was purely from a TV watcher perspective.

Arya's training with Waif was all over this season's episodes. Remember those boring scenes with Waif beating blind Arya again and again? That was Arya's training I was referring to in my previous post. She took her training to heart and used it to her full advantage to kill Waif.

I gotta give it to the writers. I didn't see the point of those boring scenes with Arya getting beaten repeatedly by Waif, clearly out of her league but still fighting. After last week's episode, I finally got it. But I would've probably been happier if they wrapped up Arya's storyline in Dravos sooner. Glad it's over and may we never see that guy and his many face Gods storyline again.
yes, exactly - Arya's training 'blind' was on purpose, and her repeated beatings, to be ready for Waif. Clever of man of many faces to do this type of training for her!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV