Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronypride View Post
How do Smart TV's become less intelligent, I thought all of them have the NEWEST and best apps out there? Even webcams in some higher quality TV sets.
Mine updates itself and sometimes when it doesn't update something I want, going into settings and telling it to do a software update works.

Or like I said I go to hbo.com or whatever I want on the web browser and do it that way. Works just like a computer in that manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
How do Smart TV's become less intelligent, I thought all of them have the NEWEST and best apps out there? Even webcams in some higher quality TV sets.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...grade-smart-tv

...the best option is clearly to spend as little as possible on anything with built-in processing power. Don’t buy a smart TV; buy a dumb one, and add a cheap set-top box or HDMI stick (Google’s Chromecast or Amazon’s Fire TV Stick or the Roku TV are about £40; the Apple TV is £59). Grit your teeth and scrap it when the hardware or software or API gets outdated.

Obsolescence at 4 years old … | Just thoughts …

Our 3-year-old Sony Smart TV is "too old" to use. - Jill Cataldo

Old 06-29-2016, 01:45 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
I own a Samsung Smart TV, it has web browser, apps etc. But I wanted to try out this new service called SlingTV. It runs through various devices like AppleTV, GoogleChromecast, Roku, XBox One, laptop, mobile phones, etc.

I was thinking of buying the Roku devices but then again why waste money on those or similar devices when I already own a Smart TV as it is, isn't having one of these devices the same thing and a waste of money?
Technically, it IS a duplication and you ARE wasting money -- but alas, "smart TVs" in real, everyday use don't always work the way they're supposed to.

I thought the same way you did when I bought my first HDTV a few years ago. I paid $50-100 more for the "smart" version of the TV I wanted ... then found out pretty quickly that one of the 2 streaming services I use the most (amazon) simply did not work well on this "smart" TV (it's a Vizio 55", can't remember the model number). I kept getting bumped off the service after literally 10 minutes of streaming. You can imagine how frustrating that was trying to watch ANYTHING.

(IIRC, it worked OK with Netflix, but not with amazon. When I did some research and read the amazon discussion boards, I found that it was a problem that a LOT of users were having -- amazon would bump them off their so-called "smart TVs" after only a few minutes of viewing. This had gone on for YEARS and there was still no solution via the smart TV or amazon.)

My solution? I spent another $100 or so on a Roku. I was very annoyed at being "forced" to do this -- until I realized very quickly how well the Roku worked. I now have one for several TVs in my house, and I very rarely have problems -- I might get bumped off Netflix or amazon once every couple of months (instead of every 10 minutes!!), but that's it.

FOR ME, Roku has been fantastic. Easy to set up, easy to use, and it just WORKS the way it's supposed to. I doubt that I will ever buy a "smart" TV again.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:43 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
It has to do with the hardware.

Operating system like Android and iOS are continually upgraded, with newer versions being released. These versions start taking advantage of newer features embedded in the hardware. Eventually, the hardware is so obsolete that Google and Apple simply won't update the OS on the older devices.

The companies that develop Android applications usually specify a minimum OS level that is supported. If your device can't install the minimum OS, then you don't get to use the newer Android app.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I do as well and I used the remote to go to hbo.com and installed it.
On my 2013 Samsung, I went to it's version of the 'App Store' and couldn't find the HBO Now app, so I simply assumed that the app wasn't compatible with my device. It never occurred to me that I might have been able to use the TV's web browser to go to hbo.com directly to get the app. I'll have to look into that; maybe one of my relatives gets a free Roku stick.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:08 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
On my 2013 Samsung, I went to it's version of the 'App Store' and couldn't find the HBO Now app, so I simply assumed that the app wasn't compatible with my device. It never occurred to me that I might have been able to use the TV's web browser to go to hbo.com directly to get the app. I'll have to look into that; maybe one of my relatives gets a free Roku stick.
Well, I wanted HBO NOW really badly so that drove me to try the browser lol. And I was so glad it worked!

You might also try 'settings' and then 'software update' and maybe it will come up. It's listed in my apps now but IDK if that is because I manually put it there or they have it now.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:22 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Amazon Firestick and Kodi. That's all you really need.

What do you gain from Firestick? I have Kodi and Netflix just because I find Netflix more convenient sometimes. I've never used a Firestick so I don't know what they do.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:04 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
What do you gain from Firestick
I don't personally have one, but have heard they are insanely hackable, and you can use them to stream unauthorized content, such as movies just released. Supposedly the settings to do this are found on video websites.

Officially, you can use the Firestick to get native access to Amazon's digital video library, which is quite extensive.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I don't personally have one, but have heard they are insanely hackable, and you can use them to stream unauthorized content, such as movies just released. Supposedly the settings to do this are found on video websites.

Officially, you can use the Firestick to get native access to Amazon's digital video library, which is quite extensive.
That's what Kodi is. I already have that. I was just wondering why someone would need both.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:57 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Technically, it IS a duplication and you ARE wasting money -- but alas, "smart TVs" in real, everyday use don't always work the way they're supposed to.

I thought the same way you did when I bought my first HDTV a few years ago. I paid $50-100 more for the "smart" version of the TV I wanted ... then found out pretty quickly that one of the 2 streaming services I use the most (amazon) simply did not work well on this "smart" TV (it's a Vizio 55", can't remember the model number). I kept getting bumped off the service after literally 10 minutes of streaming. You can imagine how frustrating that was trying to watch ANYTHING.

(IIRC, it worked OK with Netflix, but not with amazon. When I did some research and read the amazon discussion boards, I found that it was a problem that a LOT of users were having -- amazon would bump them off their so-called "smart TVs" after only a few minutes of viewing. This had gone on for YEARS and there was still no solution via the smart TV or amazon.)

My solution? I spent another $100 or so on a Roku. I was very annoyed at being "forced" to do this -- until I realized very quickly how well the Roku worked. I now have one for several TVs in my house, and I very rarely have problems -- I might get bumped off Netflix or amazon once every couple of months (instead of every 10 minutes!!), but that's it.

FOR ME, Roku has been fantastic. Easy to set up, easy to use, and it just WORKS the way it's supposed to. I doubt that I will ever buy a "smart" TV again.
i love my roku.. there is a channel on there called B-Movietv.. wow it is awesome. they show some really good movies from the 60's 70's & 80's.. but be warned it is mostly r rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV