Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 07:37 AM

29,887 posts, read 14,932,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, she didn't know that would be the case until now.

I find it strange that 'the internet' hates her for sending nicole and not going herself. It made perfect sense to me she'd get one child to safety and go back for the other.

Emily even commented about it.

Moira was mad at her too.

What is Mayday if not getting people out?

Why was getting those children out seen as bad?

I liked Moira's retort to Emily praying for June. She said 'Pray for Gilead'.

I really don't understand June's 'power' without Joseph.
Good point. As far as the "internet" hating her ? I wasn't aware of that, my comment was just a reply to the other poster, that I don't think she is a psycho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 05:59 PM

30,774 posts, read 18,527,350 times
I thought the latest episode was nicely done. The cliffhanger at the end left me on the edge of my seat anticipating next week’s developments!

Old 05-13-2021, 12:07 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,474,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I thought the latest episode was nicely done. The cliffhanger at the end left me on the edge of my seat anticipating next week’s developments!
I'm still confused by a lot of what is happening. I feel like this season has been really choppy.

What is Bradley Whitfords endgame?

What the heck was up with the fickle mind change from Janine? Really hope she's not dead because the whole sequence was just poorly written and that character deserves more.

Where are the new handmaids coming from? Are these young women who have transgressed? Captured from the border areas? Didn't Nick's wife get drowned? Why wasn't she a handmaid?

Why are June and Moira like the only two people in Chicago?

Hopefully these questions are somewhat addressed. I still like this series but the holes in the plot are getting harder and harder to ignore.

Old 05-13-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm still confused by a lot of what is happening. I feel like this season has been really choppy.

What the heck was up with the fickle mind change from Janine? Really hope she's not dead because the whole sequence was just poorly written and that character deserves more.

Where are the new handmaids coming from? Are these young women who have transgressed? Captured from the border areas? Didn't Nick's wife get drowned? Why wasn't she a handmaid?

Hopefully these questions are somewhat addressed. I still like this series but the holes in the plot are getting harder and harder to ignore.
I agree! I'll just say that the holes leave me wanting more.

As for CDR Lawrence, I honestly think that he believes in the basic ideal of Gilead, but doesn't like all of the ways that it is attempting to achieve them via gender slavery and other repressive means. But, from last episode, it's clear that he's willing to be ruthless and go along with brutal decisions as a means to achieve his goals. But, deep down, I think he's a good person and means well as judged by how he treated June and the others earlier on. Sure, he says he's just a pragmatist (and I think that he is pragmatic), but I also see something deeper in him.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:21 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,112,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

That has not being told to the viewers yet. We'll find out more in the next few episodes. Even Nick seemed confused by his actions, so we know he's holding his cards close and not letting anyone in on his true plan. I know I wouldn't trust any of those men in Giliad. They all have their own agendas, and would quickly betray another to get ahead. Commander Lawrence would prefer not to end up on the wall.

Quote:
She realized she wasn't ready to say goodbye to June. They've been through a lot together and have been bonded by that trauma. I don't think she was being fickle, it was just a hard decision to make. Continue traveling with her closest friend, or stay where it's potentially safer with a group of unknowns. She chose June.

Quote:
Yes, they're women who have "sinned" or broken the laws of Gilead. Most are probably econwives or their older children. Some are probably woman captured at the boarders, but I would think the econwives would be the better option since they've already showed compliance with the new way of things.

Why would Nick's wife be a handmaid? Yes, she was executed by drowning after trying to escape Giliad with her lover, and was charged with infedelity and trying to escape. She was given an option to renounce her sins, but chose death instead.

Giliad doesn't really care about fertility and babies. The men are after power, and handmaids are just one of the ways they can use that power to control woman. Killing Eden was making an example of her to the rest of the women of Giliad... Basically telling them to know their place or die.

Quote:
They're not. We've met many other people in Chicago. The group June and Janine were with were in Chicago. We've seen guards, other survivors at the swap meet, and know the nighthawks are also in Chicago. It's a war zone. Most people are in hiding. There is not going to be a lot of hustle and bustle on the streets.

After the bombing, we saw other people. June was trying to call for their help when Moira showed up. Part of the cease fire agreement was allowing aid into these war zones. Moira was part of the team sent to Chicago to provide aid.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:02 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,214,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I just can't stop thinking about this show. It really makes you think. The crazy thing is that it's not that far fetched.
Never seen it but read the book, it was required in my graduate women's studies course,......and I get a kick out of the entire situation. People say it is what the Right is doing but don't they realize that disenfranchising people, which is what the Left does, if as well, is the first step in the book?

Old 05-19-2021, 12:42 AM

1,907 posts, read 2,279,852 times
Luke didn't seem happy. He was slow to react and then walked off the boat alone. Wonder if somethings going on with him.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:33 AM

Good episode. I'm a bit incredulous about the boat search scene, but I enjoyed the episode overall. Can't wait to see what happens next week!

Old 05-19-2021, 06:56 AM

29,887 posts, read 14,932,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Never seen it but read the book, it was required in my graduate women's studies course,......and I get a kick out of the entire situation. People say it is what the Right is doing but don't they realize that disenfranchising people, which is what the Left does, if as well, is the first step in the book?
My thoughts exactly. Although, Gilead could also be the result of the left pushing things so far left that when the pendulum swung back...it swung way right.

I did catch something in one of the season 4 episodes, they mentioned something about Catholic resistance fighters. So, if that is the case, Gilead didn't rise up from them, which is what I assumed.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:16 AM

16,195 posts, read 21,361,322 times
CAN we NOT turn this into a discussion about the current political situation and your personal feelings about it? Not what this thread is about.
We have a whole other forum for that if that's what floats your boat. https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...controversies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV