Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 04:55 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,595,678 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the detail about the cuff. ugh, but thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 05:47 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,341,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't think it went into her ear. It appeared that the gun was pressed to her head just above her ear.

In the first episode or two we were shown these ear cuffs. I think the sound of it going off so near her ear made us think it was going into her brain. Think of how you would feel if someone shot a small caliber gun near your ear. The people running the place wanted the cuffs to be visible, if it went into her brain it wouldn't be able to be seen by everyone.

From the internet which we know is never wrong :-)

Do the ear tags really work? We’ve seen these tags on the show before (recall Offred’s left ear when she’s in the tub in the season premiere and the left ear of the mute woman who escapes to Canada with Luke in episode seven), but it’s unclear if the tags really work. If they’re supposed to be GPS-like devices (Aunt Lydia says, “You are so very precious, we wouldn’t want to lose you,” before stapling Offred’s ear in a flashback), then how did the mute woman escape?

Old 06-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
In the first episode or two we were shown these ear cuffs. I think the sound of it going off so near her ear made us think it was going into her brain. Think of how you would feel if someone shot a small caliber gun near your ear. The people running the place wanted the cuffs to be visible, if it went into her brain it wouldn't be able to be seen by everyone.

From the internet which we know is never wrong :-)

Do the ear tags really work? We’ve seen these tags on the show before (recall Offred’s left ear when she’s in the tub in the season premiere and the left ear of the mute woman who escapes to Canada with Luke in episode seven), but it’s unclear if the tags really work. If they’re supposed to be GPS-like devices (Aunt Lydia says, “You are so very precious, we wouldn’t want to lose you,” before stapling Offred’s ear in a flashback), then how did the mute woman escape?
I guess it's just a 'marker' they can't take off, but it's easily disguised, so that is kind of odd.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:45 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,340,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, not having read the book, just going off the show, Nick would not be involved in hurting her. No way. The way he was touching her stomach, so lovingly, like that is my baby in there! Even before that. He has feelings for her. He had said before 'I should have taken you and run'.

I might have to get the book now that the damn show ended for the season! I probably can't wait so long to find out what happens next ......
Generally, I feel Nick is on Offred's side. However, the way he touched her stomach could also be a show of regret on his part because he knows she is soon to be arrested by the Eyes.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Yes, this is basically the end of the book. Offred is refered to in the epilogue, but there really aren't any answers. You get a few little pieces, but they are still vague.

The series covered the book, but it did change quite a few things. The first several episodes stuck mostly to the book, but often told things in a different order. The later episodes took a lot more creative liberties.
Some examples:
- You never know exactly what happened to Luke in the book.
- Ofglen's story (the first Ofglen- Alexis Bledel) is quite different. She is with Offred all the way to the end.
- The stoning- in the book it is not another handmaid.
- Janine and her baby have a different story line
- Moira's story ends quite differently
- Serena shows Offred a picture of her daughter early on as a bribe to get her to sleep with Nick. They never go see her
- There are two Marthas in the book, and one is pretty mean towards Offred.

I do definitely recommend reading the book. I understand a lot of the changes made to the series- they are likely setting up the next season.
Also, Serena Joy is quite a bit older (as is the Commander) in the book.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
I thought it was an ear cuff they put on them. It looked like a very crude piercing gun and it probably goes all the way through the ear so it cannot be removed

When she goes to the brothel with the Commander, there's a good shot of it when he pulls her hair over it so it's not so obvious she's not a wife
It reminded me of tags put on wild animals when scientists want to track their whereabouts.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Generally, I feel Nick is on Offred's side. However, the way he touched her stomach could also be a show of regret on his part because he knows she is soon to be arrested by the Eyes.
No, it was love. Maybe he doesn't love Offred (I think he does, but I won't claim to be sure). But he loves his own baby. She was all 'don't'. She didn't want that loving embrace reminding her that she cheated on her husband with him.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:35 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,341,966 times
Well she also cheated WITH her husband when he was married to someone else and who had several children and she told him she wanted him to leave his wife which he did. I wasn't real pleased about that. Was it like that in the book? Besides she thought her husband was dead didn't she or did she know at the point she started having sex with Nick that Luke was alive?

Started watching from the beginning last night with my adult son. He has heard everybody raving about this show, including me so we started watching it again. While I have heard several people say this show is scary because it could happen in our country I don't see it happening. How many millions of guns are there in this country? Do you think people would stand by and let this happen in our country today? Maybe we should start a thread under, I don't know, Politics?

Old 07-02-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Well she also cheated WITH her husband when he was married to someone else and who had several children and she told him she wanted him to leave his wife which he did. I wasn't real pleased about that. Was it like that in the book? Besides she thought her husband was dead didn't she or did she know at the point she started having sex with Nick that Luke was alive?

Started watching from the beginning last night with my adult son. He has heard everybody raving about this show, including me so we started watching it again. While I have heard several people say this show is scary because it could happen in our country I don't see it happening. How many millions of guns are there in this country? Do you think people would stand by and let this happen in our country today? Maybe we should start a thread under, I don't know, Politics?
She thought he was dead then but she 'said' that it felt like cheating.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:

In the book that is why they weren't allowed to stay married. Because of the adultary, they were not truly married under God's law. So, it's an important element to Gilead.

Quote:
It could absolutely happen but I won't say more. I think our first thread on this show was closed down due to politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV