Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I'm so sad that was the finale! I need MORE!!!!

And I need a new pair of contacts because I cried so much that everything is fuzzy now.
Let's review the highlights shall we:

I had a rare "Go Serena" moment when she chewed out her husband. That was fun to watch.
I bawled when June read the letters and then was terrified that she woke up with them all around her.
I bawled when they showed her daughter and she couldn't get out the car to see her. Hate Serena!
I bawled when they refused to stone Janine and stood up to Aunt Lydia.
I bawled when I saw Moira hugging Luke. She just looked so happy and relieved...that made me so happy.

I can see this show sweeping up the awards this year! Simply fabulous and I can't wait to see where it goes.
I'm with you. I cried and cried. Moira all 'on your list? as family?' 'Of course!' and then she suddenly felt safe to stop and cry. She could stop being strong finally.

I loved Offred being so SASSY. Get it, girl. You're pregnant. How much can they really do to you in your condition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,737,076 times
I found it interesting that, for the most part, the first half or so of the season stuck mostly to the novel. Albeit out of order many times. The second half hasn't really been anywhere close to the book. Well, the end and the black van, sort of. In the novel, Offred knows what is happening.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I found it interesting that, for the most part, the first half or so of the season stuck mostly to the novel. Albeit out of order many times. The second half hasn't really been anywhere close to the book. Well, the end and the black van, sort of. In the novel, Offred knows what is happening.
In the novel she doesn't know what is happening either.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
In the novel she doesn't know what is happening either.
Not exactly, but she knows more. Nick was more specific with his comment in the book, if I am not remembering incorrectly.

Because I believe there are several people watching and commenting who have not read the book, I will use a spoiler tag. I have no idea what direction the series is going in, but in case it follows where the book ends (minus the epilogue), I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
Spoiler
In the book, she knows she is safe in the book because he told her it was Mayday. She has no idea where she is going, but she knows they are helping her. In the series he told her to go with them and trust him. This implies she is safe, but it gives her less information and more uncertainty.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 PM

Yeah he said 'just go with it' and she 'said' 'I don't know if I am stepping into the darkness or the light. I appreciate the 'spoiler'. For an iconic piece of literature like this that I should have already read, I don't consider anything to be a spoiler. Sort of like if we were watching a documentary or docu-drama based on RL events.

It's good she's pregnant from so many angles. Nick knows that is his baby. Seems to me everyone knows the Commander is sterile, including him. Don't get me wrong, I know she doesn't want to BE pregnant, I just mean for her safety. The bad people can't hurt the baby, and Nick wants to protect his baby.

I wonder why Moira didn't put her down on her family list. Duh, of course she would want to be contacted if June makes it to Canada!

Great epi. Though I would have turned it off if they had showed us stoning Jeanine. I did not sign up for seeing something like that. I was FREAKING OUT. Saying nonononononononononononononononononononononono. NO!

Old 06-16-2017, 10:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times
Quote:
Not exactly, but she knows more. Nick was more specific with his comment in the book, if I am not remembering incorrectly.

Because I believe there are several people watching and commenting who have not read the book, I will use a spoiler tag. I have no idea what direction the series is going in, but in case it follows where the book ends (minus the epilogue), I don't want to spoil it for anyone.
Spoiler
In the book, she knows she is safe in the book because he told her it was Mayday. She has no idea where she is going, but she knows they are helping her. In the series he told her to go with them and trust him. This implies she is safe, but it gives her less information and more uncertainty.
In the book she says she doesn't know if it is her end, or a new beginning. As she gets into the van, she says that she is stepping into the darkness, or the light.

Nick saying it was Mayday did give her some hope, but she also knew that as an Eye, it could mean that all the Eyes had also found out about Mayday and were going to punish her for her involvement.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
In the book she says she doesn't know if it is her end, or a new beginning. As she gets into the van, she says that she is stepping into the darkness, or the light.

Nick saying it was Mayday did give her some hope, but she also knew that as an Eye, it could mean that all the Eyes had also found out about Mayday and were going to punish her for her involvement.
Well, not having read the book, just going off the show, Nick would not be involved in hurting her. No way. The way he was touching her stomach, so lovingly, like that is my baby in there! Even before that. He has feelings for her. He had said before 'I should have taken you and run'.

I might have to get the book now that the damn show ended for the season! I probably can't wait so long to find out what happens next ......

Old 06-16-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, not having read the book, just going off the show, Nick would not be involved in hurting her. No way. The way he was touching her stomach, so lovingly, like that is my baby in there! Even before that. He has feelings for her. He had said before 'I should have taken you and run'.

I might have to get the book now that the damn show ended for the season! I probably can't wait so long to find out what happens next ......
The book ends with Offred getting into the van. There is an epilogue, but it is not directly about Offred and not told by her point of view.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
The book ends with Offred getting into the van. There is an epilogue, but it is not directly about Offred and not told by her point of view.
Wow. So basically the end of the book! I guess I just need to read the epilogue then and watch next season since the show goes beyond the book.

BUT, I thought Offred narrates the epilogue.

IYO did this one season cover the book well?

Old 06-17-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Wow. So basically the end of the book! I guess I just need to read the epilogue then and watch next season since the show goes beyond the book.

BUT, I thought Offred narrates the epilogue.

IYO did this one season cover the book well?
Yes, this is basically the end of the book. Offred is refered to in the epilogue, but there really aren't any answers. You get a few little pieces, but they are still vague.

The series covered the book, but it did change quite a few things. The first several episodes stuck mostly to the book, but often told things in a different order. The later episodes took a lot more creative liberties.
Some examples:
- You never know exactly what happened to Luke in the book.
- Ofglen's story (the first Ofglen- Alexis Bledel) is quite different. She is with Offred all the way to the end.
- The stoning- in the book it is not another handmaid.
- Janine and her baby have a different story line
- Moira's story ends quite differently
- Serena shows Offred a picture of her daughter early on as a bribe to get her to sleep with Nick. They never go see her
- There are two Marthas in the book, and one is pretty mean towards Offred.

I do definitely recommend reading the book. I understand a lot of the changes made to the series- they are likely setting up the next season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV