Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 09:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times

Advertisements

Wow! The book ends with June getting in the van? I would throw that book across the room with that ending.

Was I the only one who thought that Nick was the person they were going to stone? I got a little confused when Aunt Lydia said something about harming a child unless they were going to try & accuse Nick of raping June. I completely forgot about Janine.

When does it come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm with you. I cried and cried. Moira all 'on your list? as family?' 'Of course!' and then she suddenly felt safe to stop and cry. She could stop being strong finally.

I loved Offred being so SASSY. Get it, girl. You're pregnant. How much can they really do to you in your condition?
Oh girl - she can do ANYTHING now and get away it it and she knows it. Pregnancy is everything! I loved her telling off Serena after Serena hit her and then found out she was pregnant. I also loved Serena telling off that ridiculous Commander. She has chit on him too - he could end up like Glenn.

In the end, though, Serena doesn't have it in here to redeem herself.

The ending - loved it when Moira woke up in Canada and was then reunited. I hope they hatch a plot to rescue Offred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wow! The book ends with June getting in the van? I would throw that book across the room with that ending.

Was I the only one who thought that Nick was the person they were going to stone? I got a little confused when Aunt Lydia said something about harming a child unless they were going to try & accuse Nick of raping June. I completely forgot about Janine.

When does it come back?
Do you know who I was thinking? I was thinking Serena Joy because: 1. She threatened Offred's daughter. 2. Offred told the Commander to protect her daughter from her. 3. I thought that the commander might be looking to rid himself of Serena after she told him he was unworthy and all that other stuff.

But - the plot made sense. I'm glad they refused.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:42 PM

Me too - great ending.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Yes, this is basically the end of the book. Offred is refered to in the epilogue, but there really aren't any answers. You get a few little pieces, but they are still vague.

The series covered the book, but it did change quite a few things. The first several episodes stuck mostly to the book, but often told things in a different order. The later episodes took a lot more creative liberties.
Some examples:
- You never know exactly what happened to Luke in the book.
- Ofglen's story (the first Ofglen- Alexis Bledel) is quite different. She is with Offred all the way to the end.
- The stoning- in the book it is not another handmaid.
- Janine and her baby have a different story line
- Moira's story ends quite differently
- Serena shows Offred a picture of her daughter early on as a bribe to get her to sleep with Nick. They never go see her
- There are two Marthas in the book, and one is pretty mean towards Offred.

I do definitely recommend reading the book. I understand a lot of the changes made to the series- they are likely setting up the next season.
For the show going to actually see the daughter was very powerful. So close, but so far .....

Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:

LOL! Yeah except for the epilogue. And remember that the book would have been an entirely different experience anyway.

Quote:

When does it come back?
I thought it was going to be the man who did all the bad things with Janine. His wife had asked for maximum punishment to save his immortal soul. And Catholics used to do that, so I was like ok, damn. Some Muslim countries do that today.

I guess it comes back one year after it started. A couple months ago? so 10 months"? Too long, that is what I know!

Old 06-17-2017, 09:47 PM

Watching again. What is that in their brains or ears? GOD.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 AM

It was some metal cuff put on their ears to signify that they were handmaids or fertile.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Wow! This sounds like a great series. I'll look into how I can stream it. Maybe it'll be available on CDs in the library, at some point, too.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:31 AM

There are very few TV shows that I would rate as "excellent". This is one of them.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
There are very few TV shows that I would rate as "excellent". This is one of them.
Yeah I say good or sometimes great or fun or whatever but this is A+. Brilliantly done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV