Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,034,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I didn't read the book, but from articles I know we are seeing more than what could be known in the book, as we have more than just Offred's narration to go off of. In the show so far, do we know her name? If it was said sooner on, I don't remember. She was asked in this last episode and didn't get to answer.
I think she said her name was June at the end of the first episode.

Quote:
I don't know what to think about this last episode. Her affair with an 'Eye'. I liked Emily taking that car. It made methink of Saudia Arabia where a woman would be stoned for terrorism for doing that. If Emily is hung, she will fare better than real life women in Saudi Arabia, and probably well worth her adventure. The act of defiance was inspiring to like minded women.
Is Nick an eye, or was did he just say he was to stop her from questioning him and to get her to go upstairs before they got caught in the kitchen together?

I wonder if they'll just find some other way to punish Emily, or if they now realize that there is no way to deal with her and she'll either be hanged or sent to the colonies. Does her ability to possibly get pregnant trump her defiance? Although hanging her would stop others from rebelling, since her dead body would be displayed publicly for all to see what happens when you act out. The others were all laughing and enjoyed her driving around in the car, so I could see them making an example of her since other forms of punishment did not work. They would probably rather lose one handmaid then risk losing control of them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 12:04 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,583,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I think she said her name was June at the end of the first episode.

Is Nick an eye, or was did he just say he was to stop her from questioning him and to get her to go upstairs before they got caught in the kitchen together?

I wonder if they'll just find some other way to punish Emily, or if they now realize that there is no way to deal with her and she'll either be hanged or sent to the colonies. Does her ability to possibly get pregnant trump her defiance? Although hanging her would stop others from rebelling, since her dead body would be displayed publicly for all to see what happens when you act out. The others were all laughing and enjoyed her driving around in the car, so I could see them making an example of her since other forms of punishment did not work. They would probably rather lose one handmaid then risk losing control of them all.
When life is not worth living, a simple death like hanging is not a deterrent. Going to the Colonies is much more frightening.

Women in Afghanistan set themselves on fire to escape their fate and they did it in that most painful and horrible way to draw attention from the world to the plight of other women there.

I didn't wonder whether her breeding capacity can save her from even this offense. But you are right, it could. I guess under lock and key though.

Quote:
They would probably rather lose one handmaid then risk losing control of them all
and this could be true too.

I desperately wanted them NOT to show me anything terrible but we can't be spared forever. Two weeks in a row where things overall look 'up' temporarily for Offred and nothing terrifying to anyone else.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:10 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Quote:
I didn't read the book, but from articles I know we are seeing more than what could be known in the book, as we have more than just Offred's narration to go off of. In the show so far, do we know her name? If it was said sooner on, I don't remember. She was asked in this last episode and didn't get to answer.

I don't know what to think about this last episode. Her affair with an 'Eye'. I liked Emily taking that car. It made methink of Saudia Arabia where a woman would be stoned for terrorism for doing that. If Emily is hung, she will fare better than real life women in Saudi Arabia, and probably well worth her adventure. The act of defiance was inspiring to like minded women.

The former homeless addict was interesting. She feels this is a good gig. Emily's mistress is interesting. She doesn't like this either. In that sense, Emily probably has a (relative to the times now) good gig.

The way 'Offred' met her husband was really cute. Setting aside that he's a married man. I enjoy the contrast between her sparkly personality and her current state. The actress really gets to showcase her talent.

She was hilarious on that date with him. Your experience, as a lesbian? A college girl? She's infectious.
Yes, there is definitely more in the show than what was in the book but since Atwood is one of the series writers, the show retains the tone, direction and history of the book - just expanded which is cool. I like being able to see more of the background of the characters and events in the book. I'm really hoping they keep Serena Joy's background
Spoiler
as a televanglist's wife in the Time Before.

Her name is June and that is mentioned in the book, but its very subtle. I missed it on numerous readings but its in the first chapter of the book. I actually didn't pick up on it until recently when I was listening to the audiobook, read by Claire Danes.

I feel like her affair with Nick (the Eye) is one of convenience but also of lust. I liked how they filmed the scene in his apartment because it was so different than the other sex scenes in the show. Offred and Nick stripped off their clothes, being able to be skin to skin, holding, touching, kissing, etc. Completely different than the cold, mechanical, all business/no pleasure reproductive intercourse Offred has had with the Commander.

I loved the part where Ofglen/Ofstephen/Emily took that car. She didn't give a crap anymore about what they might do to her. They had already taken everything away from her and more - her very womanhood was even ripped away. A somewhat small act of defiance showed the Guardians and Handmaids that they still have choices even in a society designed to take all choices away.

I agree about the new Ofglen and her attitude towards this new societal order though I still don't like her very much. LOL

Regarding Ofglen's wife, I like how this show portrays all of the players as victims of the new societal order in their own way. Handmaids, Wives, Marthas, and even Commanders, are now puppets in a larger scheme. I have to wonder if the Commanders and Wives bargained for the emotional intensity wrought by their desires to control women's bodies and live in such a strict Bible based society.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,100,078 times
Quote:

The former homeless addict was interesting. She feels this is a good gig. Emily's mistress is interesting. She doesn't like this either. In that sense, Emily probably has a (relative to the times now) good gig.

The way 'Offred' met her husband was really cute. Setting aside that he's a married man. I enjoy the contrast between her sparkly personality and her current state. The actress really gets to showcase her talent.

She was hilarious on that date with him. Your experience, as a lesbian? A college girl? She's infectious.
I've said it before, she's just incredible. Elizabeth Moss is one of my favorite actresses. I loved her as Peggy in Mad Man and love her in this.

I don't know if Nick is an Eye or not. I can't remember if he was in the book. I loved that scene in their apartment. It was natural and lustful and not old like the ceremony.

I hate that Luke is a married man and Moira in the book gives her a ton of crap about being with him but they are cute together and the two actors have great chemistry. I enjoyed their scenes.

Emily/Ofglen/ofSteven is great. I cheered when she took the car. i felt a lot of warmth from her new "wife." She clearly doesn't like this any more than she does.

I loved the book and am loving this show. I look forward to it every week.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:23 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,761,572 times
The fact that Luke was married was very interesting. It shows how morality is flexible in a free society. The very star of the show found love by fornicating with a married man. That man turns out to be a man who would sacrifice his life for his wife and daughter. Now she is in this world of twisted morality. I'm really surprised by Emily's act of defiance . I didn't see it coming. I can't see how the regime won't kill her. Sad to see her captured. I didn't like the sex scene between Nick and June. After all that rape I just can't see anyone wanting to have sex. But I get it. It's power for June in that SHE is giving consent.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The fact that Luke was married was very interesting. It shows how morality is flexible in a free society. The very star of the show found love by fornicating with a married man. That man turns out to be a man who would sacrifice his life for his wife and daughter. Now she is in this world of twisted morality. I'm really surprised by Emily's act of defiance . I didn't see it coming. I can't see how the regime won't kill her. Sad to see her captured. I didn't like the sex scene between Nick and June. After all that rape I just can't see anyone wanting to have sex. But I get it. It's power for June in that SHE is giving consent.
I think it is that and she wanted to feel something. Some sort of human connection. When she's with the commander it is so cold and awful but with Nick, I feel like she felt it was her choice and she was having a genuine human connection like from the time before.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:50 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
I think it is that and she wanted to feel something. Some sort of human connection. When she's with the commander it is so cold and awful but with Nick, I feel like she felt it was her choice and she was having a genuine human connection like from the time before.
I agree with both of you though I did like the sex scene. After 4 episodes of very restrained, mechanical intercourse where all parties are dressed in their given uniforms and only performing the act to bring forth a child, the sex scene between Nick and Offred was stunning (?) in its humanity. Like I said before, the biggest thing that caught my eye was the skin to skin contact. I can't imagine the thrill that must bring after months (years?) of not being allowed to really touch other human beings. I thought it was an excellent counterpoint to the legal sexual intercourse in this society.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:16 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,687,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post

I don't know if Nick is an Eye or not. I can't remember if he was in the book. I loved that scene in their apartment. It was natural and lustful and not old like the ceremony.

Yes Nick is in the book. He was the Commander's chauffeur and he and Offred had a relationship

Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Yes Nick is in the book. He was the Commander's chauffeur and he and Offred had a relationship
Thanks. That's what I thought, i just couldn't remember it.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:13 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,331,805 times
Quote:
I just can't stop thinking about this show. It really makes you think. The crazy thing is that it's not that far fetched.

I binge watched this over the weekend and I came away with that same feeling which made it all the more creepy. Excellent acting; I expect Elizabeth Moss will get an Emmy or Golden Globe for her role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV