Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 07:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
And then why did June start to leave, only to ask Aunt Lydia if she could stay with her walking partner? (I forget her name, the one who's dying).
It would seem like June felt bad about how she treated Ofmatthew after her talk with Janine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I don't get why Serena let June get away with that either....puzzling.
Even though Serena and June aren't getting along right now, Serena doesn't want to be the one that would get June on the wall. She probably also recognizes that June was probably going crazy from being in the hospital for so long.

Quote:
Again, too much time spent with June staring into the camera lens. I keep watching though, hoping something big is going to happen. I can't remember how the book ended.
The book ended how season 1 ended, with June being taken away in the back of a van.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I just watched the last two episodes and I think I'm done with this show. I was so bored especially with the last one where June was in the hospital while Natalie was dying. It was like watching paint dry. I expected season 3 to be about a revolution and I don't remember how many episodes they show per season but last night was # 9 I believe. They don't seem to be moving in the direction of any revolution coming.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:03 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,356,933 times
I also found this episode boring. This whole season has been like driving a car with one foot on the gas and the other foot on the brake. June keeps getting revved up to do something, but then nothing happens. Sadly, this would be a very realistic situation in that society. Like June said, everything is taken away from you. BUT TV is not real and we want to see a story. So please, writers, show us something different!

Old 07-18-2019, 06:44 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I also found this episode boring. This whole season has been like driving a car with one foot on the gas and the other foot on the brake. June keeps getting revved up to do something, but then nothing happens. Sadly, this would be a very realistic situation in that society. Like June said, everything is taken away from you. BUT TV is not real and we want to see a story. So please, writers, show us something different!

Lol, my partner muttered 'wonder why she wants the scalpel' when she dug it out of the medical waste basket and I said because 'she's done playing the stupid role and is going to become clever for awhile'. As usual, she botched it up.

The episode makes me think there was a spending freeze or a employee strike so all they could muster was one stage setting and minimal characters and film angles. The whole episode was probably shot in a few hours.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I just watched the last two episodes and I think I'm done with this show. I was so bored especially with the last one where June was in the hospital while Natalie was dying. It was like watching paint dry. I expected season 3 to be about a revolution and I don't remember how many episodes they show per season but last night was # 9 I believe. They don't seem to be moving in the direction of any revolution coming.
There will be 13 episodes this season.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,575,923 times
I have a different take on this season. I think they're taking this season to see why these characters are the way they are....where they came from, how they adjusted (or didn't) and what makes them tick. The backstory of Lydia Clements; married woman, family law lawyer, divorced, teacher because she can't have her own children, closed off after being hurt in the divorce, loving teacher, finally allows herself to be vulnerable with Noelle and Ryan, and make a family with them and taking a chance on love, but coming on too strongly and getting hurt again. She slams her heart shut, and as Noelle is being dragged away, Mr. Thorne looks at her with disgust, and she feels her power and her mission. Gilead is perfect for her pent up anger. She has occasionally let her guard down, especially with Janine (other than when she's beating Janine), and shows some compassion at times towards some of the other girls. She loves the babies, is envious of the Handmaid's ability to have children, and sympathizes with the wives who, like her, can't have children.

Serena and June have fallen into a wary truce where they have feelings for each other as friends, but also don't trust each other. They've both lost Nicholle, and Serena understands now how June feels having lost Hannah, too.

We're learning about Commander Lawrence and Rachel, and whether he's committed to Gilead or committed to Rachel, or committed to the Revolution.

I think the season stagnated with this episode. They need to pick it up, let Margaret Atwood have more input into the storylines, I know Nick was sent to Chicago, but he could be an interesting one to bring back now that we know he's a bad guy. It's possible he could end up helping June by getting Hannah for her, and taking her to Luke and Moira.

There are four more episodes until next summer, so hopefully the writers will read and understand viewer's comments (and reviewers comments) and have a focus on a path for June, Serena Joy, Fred Waterford, Nick, Luke, Moira, and Aunt Lydia. Hopefully, more intensity in the story line will bring the story back into focus.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
There are four more episodes until next summer, so hopefully the writers will read and understand viewer's comments (and reviewers comments) and have a focus on a path for June, Serena Joy, Fred Waterford, Nick, Luke, Moira, and Aunt Lydia. Hopefully, more intensity in the story line will bring the story back into focus.

The show seems to be wandering aimlessly with no indications in one episode of where it's going in the next episode. The only characters with any meaningful plan is Serena and Fred trying to get the baby back. June has no plan and no clue what to do next. There is no sign of any plans for a rebellion.

They'd better pick up the pace and give it a sense of direction if they expect people to look forward to the next season.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:33 AM

989 posts, read 456,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
I have a different take on this season. I think they're taking this season to see why these characters are the way they are....where they came from, how they adjusted (or didn't) and what makes them tick. The backstory of Lydia Clements; married woman, family law lawyer, divorced, teacher because she can't have her own children, closed off after being hurt in the divorce, loving teacher, finally allows herself to be vulnerable with Noelle and Ryan, and make a family with them and taking a chance on love, but coming on too strongly and getting hurt again. She slams her heart shut, and as Noelle is being dragged away, Mr. Thorne looks at her with disgust, and she feels her power and her mission. Gilead is perfect for her pent up anger. She has occasionally let her guard down, especially with Janine (other than when she's beating Janine), and shows some compassion at times towards some of the other girls. She loves the babies, is envious of the Handmaid's ability to have children, and sympathizes with the wives who, like her, can't have children.

Serena and June have fallen into a wary truce where they have feelings for each other as friends, but also don't trust each other. They've both lost Nicholle, and Serena understands now how June feels having lost Hannah, too.

We're learning about Commander Lawrence and Rachel, and whether he's committed to Gilead or committed to Rachel, or committed to the Revolution.

I think the season stagnated with this episode. They need to pick it up, let Margaret Atwood have more input into the storylines, I know Nick was sent to Chicago, but he could be an interesting one to bring back now that we know he's a bad guy. It's possible he could end up helping June by getting Hannah for her, and taking her to Luke and Moira.

I think this is a good (or maybe hopeful) summation. While this episode was bad (I felt the SAME way about the BB FLY episode), I am wondering if it is another turning point for June. The two episodes prior, June seemed to be losing it bigtime. The isolation in this episode seemed to really drive her to the brink of madness. I think when her and Serena got into it, I *thought* I saw a glimmer of pity in Serena's eyes for June and I think she knew she was broken.

Something about the doctor and just going outside seemed to be a change/reset for her. Also, something the doctor said about "how will you honor your children." I feel like something clicked for her and maybe she's going to change tactics. We see that in the end when she says she's going to try to get the children out and that's the way to hurt Gilead.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:42 AM

269 posts, read 481,066 times
Yes, boring episode. The only thing I got out of it, was that it is a turning point for June. Her conversation with the doctor, her sorrow about not seeing her daughters again, and his statement that he is saving the baby to honor Natalie. Doctor asks her "how will you honor your daughters?" She has an aha moment, and realizes she will get other children out of Gilead, if she can't get Hannah out. She promises as much to Natalie and also the young girls in pink, who will be forced into marriage and baby making.
I predict next week, we will see her plan taking shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV