Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:19 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,748,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
I watched the remake of Hawaii 50 for about 10 minutes once. It was really bad in my opinion. Magnum PI often had a back story, Hawaiian huistory, or the Viet Nam war for instance. If they turn it into a show about hot chicks, explosions, etc I won't be watching.

They will ruin it like they are doing with "Dynasty". Interracial and homosexual sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:47 AM

12,416 posts, read 8,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Cool story!

But to be fair, I'd quibble with Time's original premise a bit.

Airwolf? Yes. There was some odd fascination with helicopters in the zeitgeist of that era. Not sure why. Airwolf was one of the sillier examples, but Blue Thunder was actually a good movie.

Knight Rider played in to the whole '80s fascination with the rising computer society. In a similar vein, there was Wargames (great!), Electric Dreams (dumb, but still fun), and The Terminator (a classic). I'm sure it didn't take much for a Hollywood exect to say, "Let's mix HAL from 2001 with Smokey and the Bandit and see what happens." Well, Knight Rider happened.

But Magnum? The Ferrari was a flavor of that show, but it was hardly the hub of the wheel. It's been years since I watched it, but I remember helicopters playing into episodes just as much as the Ferrari. And we're back to helicopters.
The Ferrari was just a symbol of Magnum's patron Robin Masters dotting on him. For comedy effect Sergeant Major Higgins would punish Magnum by removing the privilege at times. Sonny Crokett of Miami Vice during the same period was driving a nicer pair of Ferraris taken from drug lords in asset forfeiture. The helicopter was important because TC and Rick where the Marine aircrew who often worked with Thomas' SEAL Team and even if Rick was no longer needed to be a door gunner, in most episodes, they had actually fought together.

I think why you saw so many helicopters was because it was the Vietnam generation becoming the lead characters of shows and from the US side Vietnam was the helicopter war. A tourist helicopter was just more grounded than a police gunship or a faux CIA contractor's stealth helicopter supersonic jet combo. The last helicopter show that I can think of was the Sheriff's search and rescue based 240-Robert

Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM

10,040 posts, read 9,534,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It's not an issue of imagination. Nostalgia sells. Networks are in the money making business. It's a no-brainer.
Hawaii 5-0 has shown reboots are possible. To be fair, the re-boot has very little similarities to the original other than the names of the characters.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:44 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
.......I think why you saw so many helicopters was because it was the Vietnam generation becoming the lead characters of shows and from the US side Vietnam was the helicopter war. A tourist helicopter was just more grounded than a police gunship or a faux CIA contractor's stealth helicopter supersonic jet combo. The last helicopter show that I can think of was the Sheriff's search and rescue based 240-Robert
Which fortunately for the show Airwolf, not that many of the audience knew about retreating blade stall.

But that does bring up a point of what does the audience know. When Magnum first came out, NIS was part of the Navy, so if there was a blown intelligence operation, it could be attributed to that. After all, it seemed more like their kind of affair than Navy Intelligence.

But NIS became NCIS around the 90s, outside the Navy (as I understood), so can such a story be scripted?

Old 10-23-2017, 03:38 PM

923 posts, read 1,505,302 times
Higgins will now be played by a female?!?

Why do they feel that they have to change the gender of one of the main characters...you can have strong female characters on the show without monkeying with things that the old fans love.

Higgins is one of the best characters in the original show, the way he would bust out with those old war stories that made Thomas roll his eyes, and the alternating friction and friendship between them - it was great.

Last edited by chud; 10-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: edited for spelling

Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 PM

12,416 posts, read 8,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
Higgins will now be played by a female?!?

Why do they feel that they have to change the gender of one of the main characters...you can have strong female characters on the show without monkeying with things that the old fans love.

Higgins is one of the best characters in the original show, the way he would bust out with those old war stories that made Thomas roll his eyes, and the alternating friction and friendship between them - it was great.
The show runner did the same thing with Kono on Hawaii 5-0. With the success of Starbuck Boomer and Admiral Cain on Battlestar Galactica expect a gender flip on all reboots in the future. Being a couple of generations after the British Empire shed its foreign territories a soldier Higgins would not longer have the experiences that the original had.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Jay Hernandez Cast As Thomas Magnum In CBS’ ‘Magnum P.I.’ Reboot Pilot | Deadline

Old 02-20-2018, 05:19 PM

11,384 posts, read 16,766,458 times
No way is Tom Selleck getting into a Ferrari.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:31 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,366,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Not a good idea. Magnum was the brainchild of Glen Larson and Donald Bellisario who also wrote the majority of episodes. Although both are deceased, this is their show and having another show runner seems almost like thieving. Also, I don't want to imagine other actors in these roles.

I might have been interested to see Magnum's daughter Lily take the title role and build the show around her. But new actors playing the same characters, nah.

I agree - I can't picture anybody except Tom Selleck in that role. I hate the reboots of both Hawaii 5-0 and MacGyver. I personally think they are the two worst shows on CBS.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:22 AM

45,568 posts, read 60,845,911 times
I just wonder if the developers of this idea know how comedic the original was. That was a lot of the appeal, it was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV