Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 10:17 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,553,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Monday nights. CBS is keeping its Friday block at least one more year.

The current thread on this is Magnum PI Reboot by the same Guy who did
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 10:56 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,477,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Growing up, I enjoyed this show, along with Hawaii 5-0. I'm seeing mini trailers saying "coming in September," with Higgins being a woman. I really don't care. The original show wasn't really that great, I just liked Tom Selleck.

I don't see myself watching ths redo, unless a cameo appearance is in the works. Not sure a cameo appearance would be advertised, but I would likely check it for that when it premieres. (Friday night? deja vu).
I also enjoyed both the original Hawaii Five-O and Magnum, P.I. when I was growing up. I gave the remake of Five-O a chance and actually ended up watching for the first several seasons, but then when they lost both Kono and Chin Ho, I decided I had enough and stopped watching. Plus I thought the story lines were often a bit over the top.

With the original Magnum, P.I., I do think that a large part of the appeal of that show had to do with Tom Selleck playing the lead character. Women fantasized about being with Selleck, while men wanted to be like him.

With the building that comprised the original Robin Masters estate now in rubble, what do they plan to use for Robin's Nest?

I might watch the first episode just out of curiosity, but I really don't see the point in redoing this show. Those who weren't alive or not old enough to watch it when it originally aired can just tune into the reruns every Sunday night on Cozi TV. The original versions of any show are always the best, IMO.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:54 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,195,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The trailers look good.
I thought they looked awful! The cheesy CGI Ferrari getting smashed made me jump for the remote.

Shame on you, Hollywood!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:34 PM

22,952 posts, read 28,354,814 times
I was trying to keep an open mind about this. I saw the trailer. It looks bad. Really, really bad.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:47 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,870,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It's not an issue of imagination. Nostalgia sells. Networks are in the money making business. It's a no-brainer.

Bullbleep.

If that were the case, remakes would be a lot more successful than they are. Yes, there have been far more flops than successes in the remake (as opposed to reboot) department.

Nostalgia sells, as evidenced by the popularity of nostalgia channels such as MeTV, Cozi, Decades, etc....which, BTW, viewers would rather watch than PC remakes with every ethnic group represented.

When it comes to nostalgia, viewers by far still prefer the original.

Yup. They're unimaginative.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:23 PM

12,411 posts, read 8,207,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bullbleep.

If that were the case, remakes would be a lot more successful than they are. Yes, there have been far more flops than successes in the remake (as opposed to reboot) department.

Nostalgia sells, as evidenced by the popularity of nostalgia channels such as MeTV, Cozi, Decades, etc....which, BTW, viewers would rather watch than PC remakes with every ethnic group represented.

When it comes to nostalgia, viewers by far still prefer the original.

Yup. They're unimaginative.
Well in this case CBS probably has trust in Lenkov due to the 10 TV seasons performance of the Hawaii 5-0 and MacGyver remakes

Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,188,488 times
I think it's kinda funny that a character named "Magnum" has shrunk so much... Going from 6'-3.5 to 5'-8.5.

Can you lose 7 inches and still be "Magnum?"

Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,992,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I think it's kinda funny that a character named "Magnum" has shrunk so much... Going from 6'-3.5 to 5'-8.5.

Well, he did play a DC comic book super villain turned hero. (El Diablo, the guy in the tank top undershirt.)

Suicide Squad (2016) - Diablo vs. Incubus Scene (7/8) | Movieclips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8oeXvLXOw

Although on a more flattering note, he also played Curtis Pryce, one of Olivia Pope's boy toys on Scandal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQvqWv_XGw

Old 08-10-2018, 02:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,477,100 times
Quote:

So the guy chosen to play the new Magnum is only 5'8"?

What were the producers thinking when they chose this guy? At that height, he isn't even as tall as the average man (5'10"). Jeez, I was just watching a video on YouTube the other day on The Fast Lane Car channel and the woman doing the review was 5'9".

How can a guy that short be called Magnum?

Old 08-11-2018, 08:18 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,927,323 times
Quote:

You could IF they brought the real Magnum (Tom Selleck who is still yummy) back, occasionally, as a retired Navy officer and the paternal uncle of the current Magnum

That would be about the only way I could watch this new series on a steady basis. I'll watch the season opener but I fear they are really going to ruin my good memories of what was a pretty entertaining series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV