Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:29 AM

510 posts, read 447,969 times

Advertisements

Room 222 dealt with real life situations in a light-hearted way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
All in the Family
Completely changed tv drama and humor.

Star Trek The Original Series
It brought science fiction into the mainstream, and that original Trekkie generation created a snowball effect on our tv culture.

Game of Thrones
Changed the game for tv, brought a new much higher standard for funding and quality. $15 million per episode for the final season and that high budget can be seen.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,390 times
Get Smart! Mel Brooks and Buck Henry presented comedy to the TV screen, with a sharp wit, like never before. Don Adams was perfectly cast, and he led the way for others like Leslie Nielsen (Airplane and Naked Gun etc.).

Old 01-11-2018, 07:56 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Star Trek (the original)
Twilight Zone
All in the Family
The Sopranos

Old 01-11-2018, 08:33 AM

607 posts, read 1,393,357 times
Rosanne--topics addressed, highly successful female produced show, etc.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:59 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Star Trek (the original)
Twilight Zone
All in the Family
The Sopranos
Why do you think “The Sopranos†was ahead of its time?

Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,905,721 times
The Fugitive was riveting drama and must see every week (before DVR and VCR) to see if he would get caught. The finale was the most watched TV show for 13 years and is still the 3rd most watched show of all time (behind MASH finale and who shot JR episode of Dallas). It had a television household share, at 72%, 45.9% of all households with TV set watched it. 78 million people tuned in. Its still great 40+ years later

The Twilight Zone is as current as it was when it debuted in 1959. I loved it and tried to watch every episode. The writing was first rate as well as the soundtrack, cinematography and acting.

The Honeymooners is funnier than 99% of the "comedies" on TV today. It was shown live and Jackie Gleason didn't rehearse, instead having a stand-in for rehearsals so his performance would be "fresh". Brilliant and groundbreaking.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
What, no mention of M.A.S.H.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I nominate Freaks and Geeks.

I think it portrayed teenagers more realistically than many shows had up to that point, and it also had adults who weren't caricatures. The kids were not stereotypes or one-dimensional.

It also didn't rely on the usual storylines but had surprises along the way.
Yup, great show but likely a bit obscure for the demographic around here (that is, older crowd).

I'll also add the original Degrassi series starting with Kids on Degrassi Street through Degrassi High.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Praline and greatblueheron, you beat me too it, I can't think of another show that addressed the issues of that time quite like All In The Family.
The thing about All in the Family is that Archie isn't really a hater. He's just heard these things all his life. And in a very real way, Mike is just as much saying what he hears in his filter. If you weren't there you may not understand that the sixties put everyone in their labeled corner, and people saw the label first. It was a huge clash of changing culture and it did have the power to tear apart families. I met my aunts and uncles in Dad's family when I was five, and we took a trip to meet his family in Alabama. But the plan was to visit them more often. However, my uncles were likely to say things my dad would not tolerate, and there was no lets agree to disagree, and later in the decade some of his family came to California to visit. Many of their kids ended up in aerospace in California too, like Dad.

What All in the Family did was encourage people to really think about the things they said, and what the words mean, and perhaps ask if they should. It also showed just how much was learned and just repeated, and with that image changed so are the words. And that we all have our assumptions and all could do a lot better to just *listen* to each other. Maybe you don't change minds, but nothing ever gets better if all you see is a parody of an image, and not another human being with different beliefs. The first step is to see another human, even if you don't see through the same mirror.

When my dad's sibilings and kids and family came out to visit, almost all of the kids and many of his brothers also working in tech jobs and especially aerospace, the buttons were gone and we had a very nice visit. It's too bad that line could not have been crossed earlier.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
I loved The Prisoner. There was absolutely nothing else like it on television. Patrick McGoohan was a big teenage crush of mine.

The Prisoner (TV Series 1967
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV