Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 10:50 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times

Advertisements

Excellent re-cap! I'm scratching my head about some of these too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Now they're wandering around in rural Colorado somewhere, in the dark, in the woods, in a place they've never been before. How did they find their way back to the house? How long did it take them to get there? How did they find their way through the woods to the only town for miles around? How long did that take them? Why didn't the motion sensor turn on the outdoor lights the first time they went to the house? Nothing about these people suggests that they have any idea how to find their way in unmarked, rugged terrain in the dark or take care of themselves outside of a city or a suburb.
FOrgive me if I missed something in earlier episodes. Did we establish for sure that they're in Colorado?

Didn't they first reach the house during daylight, where the motion sensor light may not have been noticeable?

I probably did miss this one...it looked like Ruby saw or knew her phone was not on Fiona's body but on the ledge/floor off to the side? Like she knew right where it was. Did I miss that last week?

Quote:
If the train they were on has a six-hour stopover at the next station how many of those hours did they eat up chasing Fiona, fighting with her at the house, running away, getting a ride from the taxidermist to the train station, hiking overland back to the house, and then hiking back to the bar? Keep in mind that it was broad daylight when they jumped off the train and got to the house and it's now night.
More than 6 hours IMHO, for sure, even if they reached the house initially more toward early dusk. Not to mention the below which totally kills the notion:

Quote:
But let's give them that and assume they have six hours, or almost six hours, to get to the next train station where the train is just waiting for them. According to the Amtrak map the next station is Raton, New Mexico. According to Google Maps from Trinidad, Colo., to Raton, N.M., it's 22 hours on foot.
Notwithstanding my uncertainty if they're in Colo. or whatever, yeah...stations in this area are pretty far apart and they would stick out like a sore thumb walking that way especially if there was a nice easy paved road in which they could make good time.

Quote:
Why is the taxidermist so reticent about these two people whom she must suspect of being connected to the dead body at Daniel's house, given that she is sure that Daniel didn't do it? Wouldn't you think she would want to provide as much information as she could to make sure that her friend Daniel isn't a suspect for the suspicious death? How the hell does Deputy Cook decide that she's off duty for the night while they still have a dead body lying out there in the pile of hay and the only three potential suspects are still at large and unaccounted for?
I mean, yeah, she (taxidermist) comes off kind of like an ASD hayseed hybrid, but good-natured it seems. Her lack of urgency is hard to justify.

And WTF with Deputy Cloud? I suppose she's meant to suggest that the local LE is limited or incompetent or something. Kinda like a Fargo vibe. But she's just...off.

Quote:
Meanwhile, while the show spends all this time on this murder mystery side plot (and forget about the taxidermist/deputy budding romance side plot) we find out something really big about Ruby and Billy's history.
Nowhere near enough time to develop never mind resolve these story lines now, bummer.

TBH as well, I was a little underwhelmed by the whole kids/pregnancy/abortion point. I mean...it happens, it's not too uncommon. I also don't fully buy that Billy would be this broken up by it; he seems like a cad who wouldn't be too emotionally attached to much anyhow.

I was really hoping (who knows it may still happen) we'd be digging into a really complex emotional history between Ruby and Billy. We've gotten some of that, just IMO not enough compared to the murder-mystery thing that's taken over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:21 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Thanks!

Yes, in the previous episode the taxidermist told them the nearest station is Tri idea, which is a town of about 9,000 where the Amtrak train from Chicago to L.A. stops.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:23 AM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I was really hoping (who knows it may still happen) we'd be digging into a really complex emotional history between Ruby and Billy. We've gotten some of that, just IMO not enough compared to the murder-mystery thing that's taken over.
I agree! I stumbled on this series by accident, and I looked at the description and it was labeled "Comedy/Drama". Hmmm. Not a lot of comedy. And like you said, wanted more of Ruby and Billy's back story on their relationship.

And more on what is going on with Ruby and her husband Lawrence (that she was ready to run out on him on their wedding day). All I can gather is that she married him because she felt she had to, and he was "just okay" at the time.

She seems way into Billy still. Will she leave her husband for Billy?

I guess I thought it would be more of a Rom-Com than a murder mystery.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Agree with all that has been mentioned here. Again, I think this show would do much better with 1 hour episodes. A lot of the unrealistic plot points and lack of explanation on lots of the backstory is likely because they have to cram things into under 30 mins (last episode was literally like 24 mins). 30 min episodes work well with comedy, but they don’t work for dramas with a lot of backstory like this.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:21 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Dumbest show I ever watched. I wanted to stop, MrsM wanted to watch. I have no clue why???????????????

Old 05-22-2020, 02:33 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
There have been a lot of British/American hybrid shows recently, and IMHO none have been very good. Run is one of those. I think they don't work because what is considered humorous in each country is a little different. Also, most seem to be British produced, with a British interpretation of what Americans/American life is all about. They're all just a little off.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There have been a lot of British/American hybrid shows recently, and IMHO none have been very good. Run is one of those. I think they don't work because what is considered humorous in each country is a little different. Also, most seem to be British produced, with a British interpretation of what Americans/American life is all about. They're all just a little off.
Is this one British produced? It would explain why they seem to think Amtrak works like the European rail system.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Is this one British produced? It would explain why they seem to think Amtrak works like the European rail system.
Yes, and Phoebe Waller Bridge (the taxidermist) is one of the producers. Explains why a Brit with such a terrible American accent got the part!

Old 05-24-2020, 09:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Weak.

Discuss.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Weak.

Discuss.

Why do you say it was weak? What did you think about the finale? I guess it was the series finale, according to what my cable guide said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV