Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:22 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
I just now watched it on HBO. It came on after Bill Maher, so I thought - okay, why not?

I liked it. I guess they knew each other from college? Because why does he have a Scottish or Irish accent, I am assuming this was not a high school romance. I think it will be interesting to get their back stories.

I will keep watching. This Sunday 10:30 pm!
I'll watch it at least a few more times. My husband generally seems to have a higher tolerance than I do -- even if he doesn't like it, he'll still keep watching until the end of the season.

I'll watch it a few more times and see if it holds my attention. Even if I think it's meh, I'll probably watch until the end of the season, although I would likely not watch a season 2 if there is one. But if I'm really not liking it, or I keep losing focus because I'd rather be looking at my computer when the show is on my tv, then I'll give it up after three or four episodes.

Obviously, if I think it gets better or I really start enjoying it, then I'll keep watching. But these days I find so many mediocre series. I'd rather make progress on my To Be Read pile of books than spend a lot of time on a television show that I think is only ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 11:39 PM

1,350 posts, read 820,127 times
Episode 2 (SPOILER!!!) -

My thoughts so far after watching both episodes.

I felt like episode 2 should have given us some more oomph. We know it's only 8 episodes. So, each one counts.

It seemed that Ruby's husband was sort of okay with her being at a "yoga retreat for one week", she said.... until she called her house and he had that pissed off outgoing message on the answering machine that she left their family and he doesn't know where she is or if she's coming back. (Thought he sounded "okay" with the yoga retreat? Did you think maybe Billy contacted the husband??? He was looking him up online before)

Speaking of Billy, I don't think he is the best actor for this part. I think Ruby is good casting... believable, relatable. But Billy? He lacks that smoldering, sexiness that might draw her into leaving her family for this guy.

In the train car, when he saw her C section scar, and now he doesn't want to have sex. Did he not think she would have had kids at her presumable age of 39? Or, did this trigger something about his own life?

Who is Fiona, and how will she play into this?

Her credit cards wouldn't work, and Billy found them before, so what did he charge up on them that they are now frozen?

I thought the extra guy on the train was kind of a waste of valuable episode time. Could have made that part shorter while still making her point. (The episode is only 25 minutes!)

I want to see a flashback of how the RUN pact was made.

From the first scene of the first episode, it reminded me of the Jennifer Aniston movie "The Good Girl" from 2002. Good movie, if you like this kind of premise.

Yes, I'll keep watching...

Your thoughts?

Old 04-20-2020, 06:05 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Great acting. Great direction. Some really masterful dialogue.

Yet I still hate it. It's a story about two of the most unlikeable human beings I've seen onscreen in a long time. If both of them got run over by the train at this point, I wouldn't miss them.

So yeah, I'm out. Too many other good shows to watch. The Plot Against America is definitely the best thing HBO has put out in a long time. I'll rewatch My Name is Earl before I give any more time to RUN. Hard pass.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:14 AM

I'm still on the fence. Through most of the episode I was not super interested and I agree the part with the other guy was too drawn out. But then at the end, I did wonder what the heck had happened that made the husband so pissed off that he cancelled all her cards and left the outgoing message on the answering machine, so he's clearly making a public declaration that she has left the family and it wouldn't be easy to walk back from that. Since he seemed to accept she'd be back in a week and was at a yoga retreat, even if grudgingly, I don't know both what happened in the interim and before she left that makes him assume this has happened. So I did want to know more about that. But as far as the current actions, with her just leaving the family and meeting this guy, it still isn't that intriguing to me and just seems kind of annoying.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:26 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Since he seemed to accept she'd be back in a week and was at a yoga retreat, even if grudgingly, I don't know both what happened in the interim and before she left that makes him assume this has happened. So I did want to know more about that. But as far as the current actions, with her just leaving the family and meeting this guy, it still isn't that intriguing to me and just seems kind of annoying.
I assumed he heard the train announcement and knew she wasn't at a yoga retreat.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm still on the fence. Through most of the episode I was not super interested and I agree the part with the other guy was too drawn out. But then at the end, I did wonder what the heck had happened that made the husband so pissed off that he cancelled all her cards and left the outgoing message on the answering machine, so he's clearly making a public declaration that she has left the family and it wouldn't be easy to walk back from that. Since he seemed to accept she'd be back in a week and was at a yoga retreat, even if grudgingly, I don't know both what happened in the interim and before she left that makes him assume this has happened. So I did want to know more about that. But as far as the current actions, with her just leaving the family and meeting this guy, it still isn't that intriguing to me and just seems kind of annoying.
Oh, I thought that Billy guy had something to do with the credit cards being cancelled, when he saw one in her bag (we thought just to see her last name to Google her), so I kind of thought it was Billy that charged up big (illegal?) things on her credit card (didn't show us that part), and maybe that's why her cards wouldn't work at the train station.

But what you said makes sense, since she did try to use 2 credit cards that both got rejected.

I agree about her family, but we still don't know what is really going on at her house.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I assumed he heard the train announcement and knew she wasn't at a yoga retreat.
Yeah, they didn't make it clear whether he heard the announcement, but even if he did, it seems like an extreme move, based on that alone to cancel all her cards and essentially make a public announcement (via the outgoing voice mail message) that she had left the family. That's a line that's hard to come back from. So there has to be something beyond him just realizing/suspecting she is on a train.

Quote:
Oh, I thought that Billy guy had something to do with the credit cards being cancelled, when he saw one in her bag (we thought just to see her last name to Google her), so I kind of thought it was Billy that charged up big (illegal?) things on her credit card (didn't show us that part), and maybe that's why her cards wouldn't work at the train station.

But what you said makes sense, since she did try to use 2 credit cards that both got rejected.

I agree about her family, but we still don't know what is really going on at her house.
That's essentially the only thing I'm wondering about at this point -- what was going on at her house that her husband was poised to act this way based on limited information? The impression I got, which I found odd, was that he looked at and found her name, because he then looked her up on facebook and then looked up her husband. He seemed surprised and almost shocked to apparently discover last week that she had kids, when he saw the pic on her phone with her husband and kids. But this all seems weird -- obviously they were close in college, but if he still has her phone number, wouldn't he at the very least know her name? Were they so out of touch that he didn't know that she got married or that she changed her name and what her new name was? He certainly seemed not to know she had kids because they pointed to this issue multiple times. If he had known her name, it seems that he certainly would have done Facebook snooping on her well before this.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:46 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
But this all seems weird -- obviously they were close in college, but if he still has her phone number, wouldn't he at the very least know her name? Were they so out of touch that he didn't know that she got married or that she changed her name and what her new name was? He certainly seemed not to know she had kids because they pointed to this issue multiple times. If he had known her name, it seems that he certainly would have done Facebook snooping on her well before this.
I think this is a good question, but when you save someone's name on your phone you can decide how to list it. I wouldn't be surprised if he only has her first name listed, but it's probably easy enough to go back and check that.

My working theory is still that they're both jerks, but much remains to be seen.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, they didn't make it clear whether he heard the announcement, but even if he did, it seems like an extreme move, based on that alone to cancel all her cards and essentially make a public announcement (via the outgoing voice mail message) that she had left the family. That's a line that's hard to come back from. So there has to be something beyond him just realizing/suspecting she is on a train.

Yeah, good points. That's why I'm wondering if Billy contacted the husband while he was doing his Facebook research on the train? Because the husband seemed "okay" when she said she would be back in a week. Then suddenly his outgoing voicemail was all mad and said he didn't know where she was or IF she was coming back? So, what changed??

Quote:
He seemed surprised and almost shocked to apparently discover last week that she had kids, when he saw the pic on her phone with her husband and kids. But this all seems weird -- obviously they were close in college, but if he still has her phone number, wouldn't he at the very least know her name? Were they so out of touch that he didn't know that she got married or that she changed her name and what her new name was? He certainly seemed not to know she had kids because they pointed to this issue multiple times. If he had known her name, it seems that he certainly would have done Facebook snooping on her well before this.
Yes. If they said it's been 17 years, and it was from college, so they would be 39 years old or 40... wouldn't it be reasonable that she had a husband and kids at age 40? Now I am wondering if their Run pact was only to run away to each other if you were both still single at age 40?

Old 04-21-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Yes. If they said it's been 17 years, and it was from college, so they would be 39 years old or 40... wouldn't it be reasonable that she had a husband and kids at age 40? Now I am wondering if their Run pact was only to run away to each other if you were both still single at age 40?
Could be. I'm also wondering if "RUN" doesn't mean "run," like they kind of lead you to believe in the ads for the series (as in, there is danger - run, as in run away from someone or something) but maybe it shorthand for "reunite" or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV