Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:07 PM

147 posts, read 61,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:

originally posted by ocnjgirl...That said, it is common to wonder what your kids will look like - will they be blond, dark haired, tall, short. My brother and I are tall, thin. Our half sister (different mother) not quite as tall, grew very plump as she aged, exactly as her mother had done. To this day, I'll never forget a family I saw in a restaurant about 40 years ago - dad had very noticable flaming red, curly hair - a lot of it. And, lo and behold, next to him was a four/five year old boy, with flaming red, bushy curly hair. I had all I could do not to laugh out loud. Talk about the apple not falling far from the tree. So, wonderment on what the kids will look like is common and not necessarily racist. In these days of hyperbolic PC, however, even commonplace innocuous comments are read differently.
The conversation about the skin color of Harry's future children, involved Harry and other member(s) of his family, not Meghan. It's important to point this out, because it was Harry who reacted and took offense to the statements and later told Meghan about the incident. This tells me that he felt there was malicious intent behind the statements. Note that he didn't speak about the context and said during the interview, that he'd never provide any additional details or mention who said it, because it would be too damaging...

It really wouldn't be surprising, if Harry's brother, father or another member of his family made a comment that was racially charged.

Last edited by Gia_inNova; 03-14-2021 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 08:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,474,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Archie hadn't even been conceived when that comment was made. Per Harry, the comment referred to future "children" and took place way at the very beginning of their coupling - engagement/premarriage - probably came from Charles per the body language guys.

That said, it is common to wonder what your kids will look like - will they be blond, dark haired, tall, short. My brother and I are tall, thin. Our half sister (different mother) not quite as tall, grew very plump as she aged, exactly as her mother had done. To this day, I'll never forget a family I saw in a restaurant about 40 years ago - dad had very noticable flaming red, curly hair - a lot of it. And, lo and behold, next to him was a four/five year old boy, with flaming red, bushy curly hair. I had all I could do not to laugh out loud. Talk about the apple not falling far from the tree. So, wonderment on what the kids will look like is common and not necessarily racist. In these days of hyperbolic PC, however, even commonplace innocuous comments are read differently.

It was very odd that Harry and Meghan had a different description of what occurred with him saying it was pre-marriage and her saying while she was pregnant.

In any case, it's easy to imagine that either Harry's father or brother may have spoken to him about the difficulties/racism that a mixed race child who looked more black than white might face.

I think that is a conversation most parents and possibly a sibling would have with their child/sibling. I don't see that as racist, but more like acknowledging reality.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:51 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
Like many people, I was happy to see Meghan and Harry get married and start a life together in the royal family. But after that interview, she comes off looking either ignorant or delusional.

A few things: She says she didn't even know "God Save the Queen"? First, it's simple to learn and second, WHY didn't she know it? She'd probably say no one from the Firm ever offered to teach her but I am wondering if they offered but she waved them away.

Didn't know she was supposed to curtsey to the Queen? Also, didn't know how to curtsey? Again, did she just think she knew it all and didn't need to learn anything?

The title for Archie. In the interview she rambles on about how they wouldn't give him a title. Moreover, if he didn't have a title, he wouldn't get security. Turns out none of that is true.

She also got the big, important fact wrong, the part about somebody asking about skin color. She said it happened while she was pregnant. When Harry came on, he contradicted that statement. It happened early on, before they were even married. That made it look as though it happened twice, but from reading these forums, Harry got it right. After all, it was Harry who experienced it so he's right and she's wrong.

It's hard to feel sorry for her when she's making things up. I'd really like to know why she didn't know proper protocol. Did they try to teach her but she wasn't interested/thought she already knew more than anyone else? Alternatively, did they never even offer to teach her? Seems to me that if part of the Firm's job is to make the monarchy look good, they would have been obligated to educate Meghan so she could do the job, and that includes knowing the national anthem, and how and when to curtsey. It's hard to take her claims seriously.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Like many people, I was happy to see Meghan and Harry get married and start a life together in the royal family. But after that interview, she comes off looking either ignorant or delusional.

A few things: She says she didn't even know "God Save the Queen"? First, it's simple to learn and second, WHY didn't she know it? She'd probably say no one from the Firm ever offered to teach her but I am wondering if they offered but she waved them away.

Didn't know she was supposed to curtsey to the Queen? Also, didn't know how to curtsey? Again, did she just think she knew it all and didn't need to learn anything?

The title for Archie. In the interview she rambles on about how they wouldn't give him a title. Moreover, if he didn't have a title, he wouldn't get security. Turns out none of that is true.

She also got the big, important fact wrong, the part about somebody asking about skin color. She said it happened while she was pregnant. When Harry came on, he contradicted that statement. It happened early on, before they were even married. That made it look as though it happened twice, but from reading these forums, Harry got it right. After all, it was Harry who experienced it so he's right and she's wrong.

It's hard to feel sorry for her when she's making things up. I'd really like to know why she didn't know proper protocol. Did they try to teach her but she wasn't interested/thought she already knew more than anyone else? Alternatively, did they never even offer to teach her? Seems to me that if part of the Firm's job is to make the monarchy look good, they would have been obligated to educate Meghan so she could do the job, and that includes knowing the national anthem, and how and when to curtsey. It's hard to take her claims seriously.
I've posted a lot of footage in this thread, showing how Meghan presented at royal gatherings and functions. None of the videos online, match any of the negative descriptions that are provided by you and other posters. I've searched and can't find one video where she comes across as arrogant or pompous. I have however found a number of videos where William, Kate and other members of the royal clan come across as arrogant, cold, pompous and very distant.

I'm wondering why their behavior is fine and never commented on, but Meghan is often criticized for being arrogant, rude, narcisistic etc, but there is never any footage of this behavior, only random criticism by the tabloids and online posters..

Was Albert's wife, William or Kate ever criticized publicly by the press or anyone in this thread (other than me) for the behavior exhibited in the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ynalp8b2M

Old 03-14-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
I'm not a geneticist, but even I knew that Harry and Meghan's son would be white. Meghan, is probably at least 60% -70% Caucasian and Harry is 100% Caucasian with very fair skin..

Just looking at his phenotype, he and Meghan wouldn't be able to produce a child with naturally brown or even light brown skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyt6tvPrpg&t=2s
So what? That doesn't mean anyone else would know the same thing.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
So what? That doesn't mean anyone else would know the same thing.
That's interesting... because anyone with a very basic understanding of biology (and the theory behind punnett square diagrams) would be able to arrive at the same conclusion that I did. BTW, This level of biology is often taught in Junior High School.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:16 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
The tabloids are vicious and Diana said the Firm was pretty mean to her. The tabloid press is what eventually got Dianna killed. But, yes, some have had it easier than others. Kate, for instance, hung around for 12 years before marrying so no one's been too hard on her (or if they have, she hasn't talked about it in public.)

I just remembered something. Diana and Fergie at the Royal Ascot when they playfully prodded a friend's behind with their umbrellas. Both thought things were too strict and they wanted to lighten it up a bit. But it didn't work.

The Ascot Umbrella Caper – dubbed “the Brolly Folly” – drew public scorn. Woodrow Wyatt recorded in his memoirs that his wife saw Diana at Ascot

fooling about in the most childish manner, pulling people’s hair and tweaking them.”
The Sun reported the incident, referring to Fergie and Diana caustically as “silly, simpering girls.” It was the first of many desperate attempts Diana and Fergie made to “unstiffen” royal protocol.

https://lisawallerrogers.com/tag/fer...oke-umbrellas/

Meghan isn't the first to suffer from not wanting to conform to the strict rules. We've already spoken of Edward VIII who was exiled for wanting to marry a divorcee, next came Margaret, who, even though she was the sister of the Queen, was not allowed to marry the man she loved. Then even Charles couldn't marry Camilla and was told to "sow your wild oats" first. While he was dating others, Camilla married someone else and by the time "they" decided he should get married, there was no one left who fit the strict rules, one of which was she had to be a virgin.

He never loved Diana but it was sort of an arranged marriage. Many have suffered immensely due to the stringent rules, it's not just Meghan. Thing is, by the time Meghan came along, there was a well known history of misery caused by strict rules. Also, they were offered a deal where she could still be an actress, she could marry Harry but it wouldn't be a big wedding (which she now refers to negatively as a "spectacle"), he would have kept his status, but they refused.

So, yes, it must feel rotten to have to conform and to keep your mouth shut when it comes to your opinions on political matters, to follow silly rules, but she KNEW. Harry KNEW first hand. They both knew how cruel the tabloids are and how strict and mean the "Firm" can be. Even if you just read the book by Diana's biographer, you would have to know.

I think Harry is to blame too for not stopping and thinking things out. He knew what Meghan was like so he must have realized she'd have a hard time following rules even though she would put on a great performance. I don't think they were singled out to be treated rotten. They both knew. What's more, they both have mental health problems and they probably fed into each other's issues, making things even worse for themselves.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
That's interesting... because anyone with a very basic understanding of biology (and the theory behind punnett square diagrams) would be able to arrive at the same conclusion that I did. BTW, This level of biology is often taught in Junior High School.
Doesn't mean Charles or William either were taught or remember that. I certainly don't remember it.

Lots of people are taught lots of things they don't remember because they don't care.

Likewise, I'm sure there are lots of things you were taught that you don't remember because they aren't things you care about.

Putting all that aside, it's curious you have no comment on the discrepancy between Harry and Meghan's stories.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:34 PM

728 posts, read 304,989 times
Quote:
The tabloids are vicious and Diana said the Firm was pretty mean to her. The tabloid press is what eventually got Dianna killed. But, yes, some have had it easier than others. Kate, for instance, hung around for 12 years before marrying so no one's been too hard on her (or if they have, she hasn't talked about it in public.)

I just remembered something. Diana and Fergie at the Royal Ascot when they playfully prodded a friend's behind with their umbrellas. Both thought things were too strict and they wanted to lighten it up a bit. But it didn't work.

The Ascot Umbrella Caper – dubbed “the Brolly Folly” – drew public scorn. Woodrow Wyatt recorded in his memoirs that his wife saw Diana at Ascot

fooling about in the most childish manner, pulling people’s hair and tweaking them.”
The Sun reported the incident, referring to Fergie and Diana caustically as “silly, simpering girls.” It was the first of many desperate attempts Diana and Fergie made to “unstiffen” royal protocol.

https://lisawallerrogers.com/tag/fer...oke-umbrellas/

Meghan isn't the first to suffer from not wanting to conform to the strict rules. We've already spoken of Edward VIII who was exiled for wanting to marry a divorcee, next came Margaret, who, even though she was the sister of the Queen, was not allowed to marry the man she loved. Then even Charles couldn't marry Camilla and was told to "sow your wild oats" first. While he was dating others, Camilla married someone else and by the time "they" decided he should get married, there was no one left who fit the strict rules, one of which was she had to be a virgin.

He never loved Diana but it was sort of an arranged marriage. Many have suffered immensely due to the stringent rules, it's not just Meghan. Thing is, by the time Meghan came along, there was a well known history of misery caused by strict rules. Also, they were offered a deal where she could still be an actress, she could marry Harry but it wouldn't be a big wedding (which she now refers to negatively as a "spectacle"), he would have kept his status, but they refused.

So, yes, it must feel rotten to have to conform and to keep your mouth shut when it comes to your opinions on political matters, to follow silly rules, but she KNEW. Harry KNEW first hand. They both knew how cruel the tabloids are and how strict and mean the "Firm" can be. Even if you just read the book by Diana's biographer, you would have to know.

I think Harry is to blame too for not stopping and thinking things out. He knew what Meghan was like so he must have realized she'd have a hard time following rules even though she would put on a great performance. I don't think they were singled out to be treated rotten. They both knew. What's more, they both have mental health problems and they probably fed into each other's issues, making things even worse for themselves.

It all boil down to a lack of moral discipline and inability to live a life of order. Western civilization is heading into a decline.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:48 PM

25,592 posts, read 56,606,188 times
I agree. I don't see anything particularly odd in that video.

Quote:
The video you shared was from (can't remember what, maybe Commonweath Day?) when Harry and Megan had already dropped their bombshell and the family was very hurt by it. Kate and William barely even looked at them, that's right. The brothers had been very close. William was and is very hurt. That's the reason they acted cold. Ordinarily they all seemed to get along, the fabulous four, until Harry and Meghan decided to leave.
Yes, I've said upthread I think Charles' biggest issue arises b/c initially H&M wanted to remain royals with all the perks but only work part-time and not always live in the UK. William, otoh, no doubt, hoped when he ascended to the throne he could rely on Harry to pick up some of the slack. Imo, H&M would have had increasingly more prominent roles once William became king - especially as Charles/Camilla age.

Harry is grim-faced because he felt betrayed by the people "they had always supported" when denied part-time status - and as a result took away his income. Palace was no help with the tabloid press which he said drove them to this decision. He is correct on the press. The dichotomy in the press coverage is pretty stark, as shown upthread. Exact same situations, two different takes, by the exact same tabloid and, in one case, the exact same writer.

Bottom line, Charles, William feel Harry's withdrawal to be a betrayal of everything Harry has been brought up to be; Harry believes their lack of support for his decision and not understanding their position to be a betrayal. Big rift here, probably not reconcilable for a good many years.

For some reason, Harry was not able to adequately convey to his father and brother his issues with the press. Kate/Meghan differences probably not helpful in garnering their sympathies, either.

ETA: Somewhere on this thread (or another) it was posted Meghan was given Duchess lessons by another member of the family. I don't remember the details. But that didn't occur until after the marriage I believe. That said, Meghan was in her 30's. She certainly hadn't been living under a rock. She can't have been totally clueless on what being a royal meant. I don't believe her there, at all. I will say she makes a very nice appearance in every picture of her I've seen.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-14-2021 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV