Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2021, 06:14 PM

147 posts, read 60,600 times

Advertisements

At .14 seconds of the "Suits" blooper compilation, Meghan says, "....I didn't see that movie, it's black and white." Her costar replies -and so are you and they both start laughing. She has a sense of humor and showed that she doesn't take such comments seriously, if it's not coming from a hateful place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfCCpCyf8kQ

Old 03-13-2021, 07:02 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,086 times
Megs will ditch Harry is 5 years max.

Did she get her nose done?

Old 03-13-2021, 08:02 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
Given that Harry and Meghan's wedding was broadcasted all over the world, I think many Americans were curious as to why they chose to leave their royal duties. They provided the reason(s) during the interview and shared their side of the story.

If most are in agreement that the British monarchy cares about their bloodline, it's not unfathomable for them to view those who are not of the same bloodline as less desirable or inferior.

Conflict can occur, when those who believe they are inherently superior are unable to get other people to believe they are inherently inferior.

All of the Queen's children have married commoners; except for Prince Charles' first marriage; I don't think that the Queen is a huge stickler for rank/aristocracy in the family, at least not for decades. Her sister married commoners too. Kate Middleton's family is self-made in terms of wealth and definitely not aristocratic; her marriage to William seems to be quite happy.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:39 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
All of the Queen's children have married commoners; except for Prince Charles' first marriage; I don't think that the Queen is a huge stickler for rank/aristocracy in the family, at least not for decades. Her sister married commoners too. Kate Middleton's family is self-made in terms of wealth and definitely not aristocratic; her marriage to William seems to be quite happy.
I agree, commoner was not the issue. I think the biggest problem here, more than anything else, is marrying outside the British culture - an independent American who was not brought up with a figurehead monarchy which most British citizens still value and respect. Which led to Sussexes' request for change in status - which eventually led to loss of all the money. Neither of which they wanted.

I just spent 2 hours watching the analysis by the body language guys. My distinct impression is - bottom line - that Harry was and still is royally po'd at being cut off financially.

As I recall, their initial request was not to withdraw totally as working royals, but they were denied a part-time status. Along with that denial went all the money. He couldn't believe they would do this to him.

I was intrigued at how he referred to this decision as disappointing behavior from people "they" have always supported. "They" have always supported??? What about all the privilege he has had by virtue of birth - his entire life? It is a two-way street.

The comment on "what will the children look like" occurred before the marriage - not referring specifically to Archie. Harry said "way at the beginning." Probably from Charles - which isn't a particularly unusual comment in and of itself. But b/c Meghan is 1/4 black could be construed as racist.

I think Harry's real issues with Charles stem from his withdrawal as a working royal, more than anything else. He is the only brother/sibling of a future king. Had there been more children, perhaps this wouldn't bother Charles as much.

I don't think either of them came off very well. But Harry, for sure, is complicit in this internationally publicized display of angst. He wants his toys back.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-13-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 09:36 PM

147 posts, read 60,600 times
This clip from the Fergie and Oprah interview says it all, about what life is really like behind the palace gates. Those who do what they are told, still end up losing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87zagGHGSFs

Old 03-13-2021, 09:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Regarding inheriting money, no one mentions that Harry inherited quite a large sum from the late Queen Mother in addition to his inheritance from his mother, Diana.

"William and Harry were set to share about £14 million ($17.9 million) from their late great-grandmother. However, "bulk of the cash" went to Harry because his brother "will benefit financially by becoming king," the BBC added.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...%20to%20Mirror.

"Harry inherited 20 million from Diana's estate years ago, which probably grew to a nice tidy sum over the past 2 decades or so."

No, he didn't get quite that much. William and Harry's inheritance from their mother was originally £6.5 million (around $9.5 million USD at today's rates). It was invested to accumulate interest until the two boys each turned 30 y.o. and Harry inherited around £10 million (about $17 million USD at today's rates) on his 30th birthday.

His great-grandmother the Queen Mother left him and William about £14 million ($19.5 million USD at current conversion rates) in a trust fund which they can't touch yet. She arranged that when the trust matures Harry will receive a larger share than William will (approximately 2/3rds of it) since Harry won't have access to the same financial benefits and income that William will have when he becomes King. William, as next in line after Charles, already has more than Harry anyway.

The Queen Mother left all the rest of her substantial personal estate to Queen Elizabeth, who in turn contributed her mother's treasured art works and jewels to the Royal Collection.

Edited to add that when Prince Phillip and Queen Elizabeth respectively pass on, there will be more substantial inheritances coming to all members of the Royal family from the personal estates of both Phillip and Elizabeth.

Last edited by Zoisite; 03-13-2021 at 10:19 PM..

Old 03-13-2021, 09:50 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Didn't watch the interview - just saw snippets afterwards.

Take-away: I think Oprah is borderline evil - can't tell you why this would be the case - think Meghan is manipulative and Harry seems like a wimp.

Old 03-13-2021, 11:08 PM

728 posts, read 302,992 times
Quote:
Apparently, it was Harry who really took issue with the question about his future son's skin color, because he mentioned it to Meghan. Keep in mind that she was only reacting to what Harry stated.

I don't tell people everything that other people relay, especially if I think that the person would be hurt or disappointed by the comments.

The question becomes, why did Harry even mention it to Meghan, if there was no malice intended by the family member? I tend to believe that he mentioned it to his wife, because he was appalled and wanted someone to discuss the matter with. I don't think he would have told his wife, if he had anyone else among his family and/or friends who could relate or "understand."

Harry was appalled and took issue with the question about his son's skin color? Is that how you see it? Why wold Harry be appalled? Let's say Harry married a dwarf and the question was about his son's growing up to be a dwarf. Why would Harry be appalled by that eventuality? He fell in love with and married a dwarf, didn't he?

Old 03-14-2021, 12:13 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Quote:
Clearly, we weren't privy to any of the discussions at the palace; therefore, we can't emphatically state who was lying. But I don't doubt that Harry and Meghan felt that the situation was unhealthy for themselves and their baby.
And how does it benefit Archie to know that his parents told the world, in an interview with Oprah, that his father's family was speculating about his skin color before he was born? Archie is probably not ever going to feel comfortable visiting his British grandparents and cousins.

I can understand Harry and Meghan leaving the royal family due to the disgusting social media and tabloid racism, to protect their child and any future child from it; but implying that Harry's relatives were discussing the boy's skin color in a racist way before he was born, in a TV interview, without giving specifics as to exactly what was said and by whom, is going too far in my opinion, and cannot be justified as trying to protect their child.

Harry and Meghan have just cut themselves off further from Harry's father and brother and other relatives. If they return to the UK for a family visit, or (I hope not anytime soon) for Prince Philip's funeral, why would anyone in the Royal family want to talk to them; they'd have justifiable fear that anything they said to Harry or Meghan would wind up being revealed to the whole world in another Harry/Meghan interview with Oprah (or someone else).

Old 03-14-2021, 12:22 AM

421 posts, read 328,400 times
Quote:
At .14 seconds of the "Suits" blooper compilation, Meghan says, "....I didn't see that movie, it's black and white." Her costar replies -and so are you and they both start laughing. She has a sense of humor and showed that she doesn't take such comments seriously, if it's not coming from a hateful place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfCCpCyf8kQ

WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV