Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 10:17 AM

8,656 posts, read 10,200,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm capable of feeling empathy for nearly anyone and their personal pain. Life is hard. And no matter whether you're a royal or a commoner pain is pain. I understand their concerns and think the idea behind them is valid.

From an analytic viewpoint however the whole thing is just more soap opera for the masses. Oprah exploiting two typically narcissistic kids who think that by creating a scene they can use their hurt feelings over someone's behavior to change the world to better suit themselves.

All of this could have been handled in a more dignified and professional manner. And possibly with more healing results.

I predict that in a decade Meghan will still feel hurt and Harry will still helplessly be trying to fight unseen forces to solve her problems. Nothing will have changed for them as the result of their actions except they will be older and the hurt will be deeper. That is if Meghan doesn't fly the coop within ten years which is a very real possibility.
You bring up a great point. Have you ever noticed that many of these kids trying to "change the world" are really using that as jumping off point to prop up their social media influencing "careers"? So they're basically trying to pad their wallets all under the guise of "changing the world".

Old 03-15-2021, 10:24 AM

147 posts, read 61,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
We all from time to time either don't know what we don't know or forget what we learned when we were young.

Your post is a perfect example of that.

And since we don't really know what was said and the context/total conversation where it was said there is no way to know whether or not it was racist or simply part of a package of reasons Harry should reconsider marrying Meghan.

For all we know, his father/brother said lots of people will always see your children as black. Are you prepared to deal with that? Harry may be the one who overreacted and translated that as skin tone in his mind. Or, when he related that to Meghan she could have taken it that way and got him riled up.

I actually think it was more interesting and even perhaps offensive that it was suggested she keep acting because they couldn't afford to support her!
The bolded comment is possible, but the children produced by Meghan and Harry would present as phenotypically white.

I could be wrong, but I believe the comment wasn't so much about the actual skin color, but rather the social status that is often designated to black people. In other words, your child will be perceived as less than, because their mother is mixed with Black.

People often use the word, "racist" in the wrong manner. A racist is simply someone who is prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people purely on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group.

The take-away is, that particular person wouldn't care how intelligent, well mannered, compassionate, attractive, etc, Harry's future child was, nor would it matter that Harry's child was phenotypically white. He would still be viewed as less than, merely because he had some (known) Black heritage.

Last edited by Gia_inNova; 03-15-2021 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-15-2021, 10:59 AM

728 posts, read 304,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I’ve always felt like I have to be extra friendly to black people , not just now, for years , don’t know why there no better or worse than me , it’s just a habit , I’m even friendlier to black toddlers in the store than I am to the white ones , I’m sure if a black person jumped the line in front of me I’d say nothing , a white person I wouldn’t let them get away with it , ridiculous isn’t it ?

Not ridiculous at all. The British royal family including the Queen of England had to be extra careful when Meghan came into their orbit. They gave her a grand wedding, say nothing when Meghan told Oprah that she wasn't given special attention. They would never allow any white royals to get away with such conduct. Princess Diana was stripped of her HRH title by Queen Elizabeth.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,163,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

....... Meghan, however, sought out racist Oprah to spill her guts to the world. Meghan set herself up to be critiqued.
Actually, no she didn't. It was Oprah who did the approaching. Twice. Originally Oprah sought out Meghan for an interview BEFORE Meghan and Harry even got married. Meghan thought it was not a good idea with too much on her plate at the time preparing for the wedding so instead she invited Oprah to attend the wedding (a politically clever move) and promised to keep the option open for an interview at a later date when she was more settled. Oprah agreed to that. Well Meghan never did get settled but after Meghan and Harry moved to California and into their own house Oprah asked them again if they were willing to do the interview and this time they agreed to it.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:04 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,681,373 times
I think what may have happened was Meghan and Harry were always going to come second to William and Kate in the royal pecking order...I think Meghan internalized this as racism while no matter who Harry married she was not going to be protected as Kate was/is. I think the second problem was Meghan being an American didn't come across well behind the scenes dealing with the royal staff...let's face it we Americans can come off as too assertive/pushy...we want things done like yesterday...I feel that's not how things get done in the royal world...every move must go up the chain of command for approval and Meghan viewed each no she received as a personal affront rather than what it was...protection of the royals ahead of her in the pecking order. I think when the topics of suicide and race entered this situation it sent the royals into crisis mode and they played hardball because at that point they were in a lose-lose situation...It's sad but everyone will be fine...life will go on...well maybe not long for poor Prince Phillip...:0

Old 03-15-2021, 11:21 AM

131,137 posts, read 12,255,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My kids are at least 60 percent "white European" with a mixture of mostly African American (with a smattering of other DNA, maybe 2 percent or so) as the rest. All four of them have very different skin tones, types of hair, color of hair, etc.

Call me ignorant if you like, but I really had no idea what they would look like before they were born. I will also freely admit that I don't recall any information on "Punnet Square diagrams." I'm not saying I wasn't taught this level of biology in junior high school or high school, but if I was, I wasn't paying much attention apparently!
I would think it's normal for people to wonder what their baby will look like, even more so if they look different from the spouses. Will the baby have blond hair, brown hair, red hair, etc, are all fairly normal thoughts, which side of the family will he look more like, IMO.
So the question on what color will the baby be, is not racist by itself. The context is missing, so it may have been racist, or may not, & I guess we will never know.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:31 AM

18,563 posts, read 18,855,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm capable of feeling empathy for nearly anyone and their personal pain. Life is hard. And no matter whether you're a royal or a commoner pain is pain. I understand their concerns and think the idea behind them is valid.

From an analytic viewpoint however the whole thing is just more soap opera for the masses. Oprah exploiting two typically narcissistic kids who think that by creating a scene they can use their hurt feelings over someone's behavior to change the world to better suit themselves.

All of this could have been handled in a more dignified and professional manner. And possibly with more healing results.

I predict that in a decade Meghan will still feel hurt and Harry will still helplessly be trying to fight unseen forces to solve her problems. Nothing will have changed for them as the result of their actions except they will be older and the hurt will be deeper. That is if Meghan doesn't fly the coop within ten years which is a very real possibility.
Ten years jeez thats a lifetime for the lady of the manor.. Harry has to keep his eyes on the juicer.. as thats how her ex knew she was leaving for good .she took the expensive juicer with her...

Old 03-15-2021, 11:34 AM

728 posts, read 304,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I think what may have happened was Meghan and Harry were always going to come second to William and Kate in the royal pecking order...I think Meghan internalized this as racism while no matter who Harry married she was not going to be protected as Kate was/is. I think the second problem was Meghan being an American didn't come across well behind the scenes dealing with the royal staff...let's face it we Americans can come off as too assertive/pushy...we want things done like yesterday...I feel that's not how things get done in the royal world...every move must go up the chain of command for approval and Meghan viewed each no she received as a personal affront rather than what it was...protection of the royals ahead of her in the pecking order. I think when the topics of suicide and race entered this situation it sent the royals into crisis mode and they played hardball because at that point they were in a lose-lose situation...It's sad but everyone will be fine...life will go on...well maybe not long for poor Prince Phillip...:0

Americans are not assertive. They come across as obnoxious wherever they go abroad. What Meghan perceived as racism was class-consciousness in British society. Meghan has many strikes against her in the world of British snobbery. I believe that she suffered mightily even at the hands of the scullery maids at Buckingham Palace. She asked for it. She thought she could be a real princess when she met Prince Charming in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Old 03-15-2021, 12:16 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,818,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
I wouldn't expect that an American would know the British national anthem. Based on the interview, Meghan stated that she took it upon herself to learn how to be royal and what was expected of her. According to her, "No one thought to say, 'Oh, you're American, you're not gonna know that.'

She apparently googled their National Anthem, and learned it, to help ensure that she didn't embarrass Harry's family. I honestly don't see the issue, because she was more than wiling to teach herself.

My question is, what is there to learn? The melody is already known and used here in the US as My Country 'tis of thee. The words (not to insult any Brits) are almost as simple as a nursery rhyme:

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

(Oh my. Wiping sweat from brow, must take a nap now, that was so hard to learn, lol.)

It could have been multiple incidents. It wouldn't be unusual for a person to make those comments (again), to Harry, once she was actually pregnant. Since both, Meghan and Harry refused to provide any specifics about that situation, it's hard to decipher whether it happened once, or multiple times. I actually believe that it did happen and I'm not surprised.

No. When Harry joined her in the interview, he stated that it happened ONCE and that it was before they were married. Meghan only heard about it second hand from Harry and she got it wrong or maybe she just didn't care.

it's important to point out that before that day, Harry had tried to meet with his father and grandmother, but they didn't want to discuss the matter and the firm, based on what Harry stated, had already decided that they could not perform their roles on a part-time basis from Canada...

I think you've got a point there because I can remember reading that Harry tried to communicate with Charles about negotiating some form of being partly in and partly out. The answer he received was, Put your plan in writing. I remember thinking, how's he supposed to put this huge, complicated plan into writing? He needs to talk and he needs a place to start or else whatever he puts into writing is going to be so far off that it will be outright rejected. (Now, in retrospect, I understand that Charles was going to reject anything and he was 100% against their leaving.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
A few times during the interview I had to wonder, "Do they talk to each other?" Because her excuses and fundamental lack of knowledge (are blatant lies oops), if they are to be believed, could have been cleared up by conversing with her mate, the prince.
Yes, their stories don't even match. He definitely would have informed her about the title for Archie but she rants on and on about how upset she was that he didn't get a title. She made that out to be one of the main issues, in fact. Then we learn that they don't give out titles anyway. Did she not listen when Harry told her? Or does she not believe what people tell her? Or is she purposely lying?

Old 03-15-2021, 01:07 PM

22,150 posts, read 13,180,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My question is, what is there to learn? The melody is already known and used here in the US as My Country 'tis of thee. The words (not to insult any Brits) are almost as simple as a nursery rhyme:

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen!

(Oh my. Wiping sweat from brow, must take a nap now, that was so hard to learn, lol.)

It could have been multiple incidents. It wouldn't be unusual for a person to make those comments (again), to Harry, once she was actually pregnant. Since both, Meghan and Harry refused to provide any specifics about that situation, it's hard to decipher whether it happened once, or multiple times. I actually believe that it did happen and I'm not surprised.

No. When Harry joined her in the interview, he stated that it happened ONCE and that it was before they were married. Meghan only heard about it second hand from Harry and she got it wrong or maybe she just didn't care.

it's important to point out that before that day, Harry had tried to meet with his father and grandmother, but they didn't want to discuss the matter and the firm, based on what Harry stated, had already decided that they could not perform their roles on a part-time basis from Canada...

I think you've got a point there because I can remember reading that Harry tried to communicate with Charles about negotiating some form of being partly in and partly out. The answer he received was, Put your plan in writing. I remember thinking, how's he supposed to put this huge, complicated plan into writing? He needs to talk and he needs a place to start or else whatever he puts into writing is going to be so far off that it will be outright rejected. (Now, in retrospect, I understand that Charles was going to reject anything and he was 100% against their leaving.)

Yes, their stories don't even match. He definitely would have informed her about the title for Archie but she rants on and on about how upset she was that he didn't get a title. She made that out to be one of the main issues, in fact. Then we learn that they don't give out titles anyway. Did she not listen when Harry told her? Or does she not believe what people tell her? Or is she purposely lying?
Or is she certifiably crazy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV