Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 07:08 AM

10,129 posts, read 6,499,180 times

Advertisements

I thought it was a fantastic series that kept up the suspense. I didn't think the ending was Oprah-esque at all. Just because people show emotion by hugging and crying doesn't mean that their problems are solved. Lor still had to deal with the fact that three of her family members were going to jail. Mare, while finally tackling looking in the attic, still had to deal with her son's suicide - that's not an instantaneous process fixed with just one peek. Obviously her mother still had feelings of guilt due to her treatment of Mare as a child. The Guy Pearce thing was a nice side thing, not a major plot development. Hey, sometimes a person deserves a cuddle and a hot roll in the sheets if they're of age and use protection, right? He was a nice guy and no one used anyone else, but there were future possibilities. Real life goes like that a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 07:13 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,263,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But
[]Mr. Carroll’s story about his gun going missing and then found made it sound like months passed between the lost and found but it was only a few hours...that didn’t seem so right
His whole losing Betty and calling Mare was off because Ryan didn’t wait longer to replace the gun
[/]
This bugged me too, and at first, I thought it was a continuity error. I actually went back and watched that scene again. It turns out to make sense, he heard a noise, checked on his gun that night, obviously while the kid had it, then the next time he checked, it was back, since the kid put it right back.

I liked the finale, had a couple twists that made the ending worth watching. No issues with how it ended for most characters. I wouldn't call it Oprah-ness. Mare didn't end up with the guy, her friend lost her family with a kid in juvie, her DIL is back in rehab... lots of real life hardship, not all unicorns and butterflies.

Edit to add: Or what Bungalove said better than me, while I was typing.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:55 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,046,832 times
Siobhan
Went to Berkeley
Likely won’t move back

Old 05-31-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This bugged me too, and at first, I thought it was a continuity error. I actually went back and watched that scene again. It turns out to make sense, he heard a noise, checked on his gun that night, obviously while the kid had it, then the next time he checked, it was back, since the kid put it right back.

I liked the finale, had a couple twists that made the ending worth watching. No issues with how it ended for most characters. I wouldn't call it Oprah-ness. Mare didn't end up with the guy, her friend lost her family with a kid in juvie, her DIL is back in rehab... lots of real life hardship, not all unicorns and butterflies.

Edit to add: Or what Bungalove said better than me, while I was typing.
But why report it as missing MONTHS later when it really wasn’t “missing” except 2 hrs ???
That was too contrived...
And was the reason why the first and second episode had those characters, their security system
But we didn’t know then he was retired police
So the police special made us think about Mare’s family

I just thought there was a better way to delay the discovery of the gun and shooter than that

Old 05-31-2021, 02:34 PM

I just thought Juliette Nicholson was the one who really got the shaft
Willing to raise her douchebag husband’s I’ll-begotten son for all those years as the price she paid for her husband to plead to the shooting...
There is some poetic irony in twist...
And where are they getting money to support everyone with her husband in jail?

Old 05-31-2021, 05:11 PM

10,129 posts, read 6,499,180 times
Quote:
I just thought Juliette Nicholson was the one who really got the shaft
Willing to raise her douchebag husband’s I’ll-begotten son for all those years as the price she paid for her husband to plead to the shooting...
There is some poetic irony in twist...
And where are they getting money to support everyone with her husband in jail?
Well, the two envelopes full of money she received should help some in raising the baby at least. And while she did get the shaft in that instance, she lucked out to the extent that Mare could have had her charged with obstruction of justice (IMHO) for lying big time IRT the shooting.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:31 PM

5,263 posts, read 3,635,644 times
On the other hand she got a "son" after losing the other males in her family.

But I agree she didn't look happy at all when her husband asked her to take in his son.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
On the other hand she got a "son" after losing the other males in her family.

But I agree she didn't look happy at all when her husband asked her to take in his son.
Living reminder of how low her husband was
Hard to believe that baby can really be raised with love
Dylan’s parents would have been a better choice IMO
Her husband made her do that as power play
He didn’t care about the baby
Had not helped him get his ear tubes
He was just making her pay for making him the sacrifice vs Ryan

Old 05-31-2021, 09:05 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,564,608 times
Quote:
Ok
So I saw that curve coming...
And it is believable
But
Spoiler
Mr. Carroll’s story about his gun going missing and then found made it sound like months passed between the lost and found but it was only a few hours...that didn’t seem so right
His whole losing Betty and calling Mare was off because Ryan didn’t wait longer to replace the gun
Would have been better if his dad had found the gun in Ryan’s stuff when they were packing for a fishing trip or something...
That was a disappointment as was the Guy Pierce side story
And who would keep a loaded ceremonial gun like that in their shed?? The old man should be charged with gun negligence.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:11 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,564,608 times
I was not all that happy with the ending. Just one twist too many IHMO. And it just doesn't sit with me that the 14 yo Ryan could do all that he did and have all those people involved and covering up for him and not get caught until the end.

However it was a well acted series reminiscent of the British BBC detective series I have watched and loved.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV