Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2022, 08:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times

Advertisements

[quote=cremebrulee;62858022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post

I will agree with you to a point, but even teachers looked older then their years....I'm certain the way they dressed added to it, and people didn't dye their hair, nor have the make up advantages including creams and oils to soften lines....

Then there were some women who did not have wrinkles and lines in their faces....but just looked much older, not to mention they were certainly so much tougher and stronger emotionally and physically.
They were surely a different breed of people....

and there is no need for the sarcastic eye roll, just having a conversation, for goodness sakes.
As a bounce-off thought, one reason I enjoy Ken Burns’s historical documentaries so much is from the photographs of the people he uses for material—-they provide a grounding in what that particular era was like—the hair, clothing, backgrounds often included…
Most people took photographs very seriously then because they were “special” and so they rarely smiled
Also might have something to do with the quality of their teeth which were often disastrous because of poor dentistry

We have a traveling photographer’s example of my dad as a 3 yr old with his slightly older sister and their grandmother who would scare me to death…but from their accounts she was a loving (if strict) woman…my dad is wearing a dress and black stockings—his sister got the white pair—
he is pouting because of it…his grandmother looks sour as a lemon—taken in front of their log house…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 08:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know that happened—happened to the Cherokees in particular before they were put on the Trail of Tears
Indians were pushed to OK because it was considered undesireable—until it wasn’t—

Texans hated Comanches—for the most part, the worst enemy each of them had
They weren’t too far from Doan’s Store which is still in TX panhandle—check the map posted—
A great piece of information by the way

They called it Indian country because there was no civilization of Anglos —no towns (a few big ranches and isolated smaller ones) and no law except your six-shooter
Texas Rangers and the US Army likely had a presence but few and far between

You are extrapolating multiple Indigenous populations into one—which is what you accused me of.

Through my mother I have Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Choctaw ancestry
My dad’s stepmother was half Native American—married in early 1900s in TX—so all his half siblings were 1/4 blood…
I know there was intermarriage—
Thank you for this.....

Old 02-09-2022, 11:31 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times
Quote:
loves2read
My mom’s family was originally from farm north of Atlanta GA—she had 10 brothers and sisters, 11 in all. Everybody managed to survive infancy which is pretty remarkable IMO and everybody worked on the farm until my grandfather lost it to debt
yes, it is pretty remarkable....I've known of large families where the women/mother lost at least one child back in those days....

My dad grew up in central Texas—his mother died in childbirth when he and his older sister were just a few years old. His dad couldn’t take raising them alone so he gave them to his parents and found a new wife. After they were marrried they left my dad and aunt with their grandparents and raised about 8 children of their own…

I am certain that happened a lot in those days, I was a kid, at 5 learned how to milk a cow...so did all my cousins....we made butter, hunted up eggs every day and helped process the chickens...my uncle raised black angus...but I remember those days as being the best....lots of fun on a farm...

Quote:
Photos we have of both my mom and dad’s family show people who were a product of their times—
No makeup, heavy whiskers for the men, women looked tired…
it wasn't an easy life, by any means....Thanks so much for sharing, so interesting....

Old 02-09-2022, 12:34 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,146,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know that happened—happened to the Cherokees in particular before they were put on the Trail of Tears
Indians were pushed to OK because it was considered undesireable—until it wasn’t—

Texans hated Comanches—for the most part, the worst enemy each of them had
They weren’t too far from Doan’s Store which is still in TX panhandle—check the map posted—
A great piece of information by the way

They called it Indian country because there was no civilization of Anglos —no towns (a few big ranches and isolated smaller ones) and no law except your six-shooter
Texas Rangers and the US Army likely had a presence but few and far between

You are extrapolating multiple Indigenous populations into one—which is what you accused me of.

Through my mother I have Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Choctaw ancestry
My dad’s stepmother was half Native American—married in early 1900s in TX—so all his half siblings were 1/4 blood…
I know there was intermarriage—

I'm not sure what I accused you of? I mean...maybe I did, but I've forgotten.

In LAST WEEK'S episode, they were in Oklahoma. Not Texas. They mentioned it more than once.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:44 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Here's another good map from Wikipedia, of the Oregon Trail. If the Duttons are going to end up in Bozeman, they'll have to head north around Casper, WY, follow the Bighorn River north, and then turn west once they get to Montana, to get around the Rockies. In other words, follow today's 25 to 90. Bozeman is just to the left of the first N in "Montana."

There was much discussion in E8 about where to go,
Spoiler
to winter in Denver or to go straight to Oregon.

This map really gives you a sense of how hard that choice would be, late in the season.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:51 AM

186 posts, read 94,892 times
For anyone interested in the horses, World's Greatest Horseman is going on now....a big show of 4-10 year olds for the bigger name trainers in Cowhorse and Cutting.

https://www.chclivescoring.com/live.phtml?show_id=520

Old 02-14-2022, 06:39 AM

10,832 posts, read 4,521,326 times
AND, not that I am being pedantic, but goodnight mentioned ***** trouble with the arapahoe and lakota...but these events occurred in 1864ish and 1862ish respectively. given that next week is the finale...I dont think they make oregon this season.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:08 AM

472 posts, read 244,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
AND, not that I am being pedantic, but goodnight mentioned ***** trouble with the arapahoe and lakota...but these events occurred in 1864ish and 1862ish respectively. given that next week is the finale...I dont think they make oregon this season.
There are two more episodes left. 10 episodes in this season. Yesterday was #8.

I'm just hoping that we get a season 2! I haven't heard any announcements yet of a renew.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post

I'm just hoping that we get a season 2! I haven't heard any announcements yet of a renew.
Can’t believe they would drop it at this point
I just think they don’t know yet how many seasons Sheridan can or wants to get out of this storyline
So far he has written all the episodes and he had written them before shooting
That apparently is how he likes to work so he knows the story arc
He is so busy—especially since he is also supposed to be doing the four 6 series—busier than Shonda Rhimes I bet
So they may want to lock him down to long term deal before they commit to just S2

Mayor of Kingstown is being renewed and I don’t think the numbers for that are very good but guess they are counting on people finding it —

Old 02-14-2022, 10:31 AM

10,832 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB71 View Post

if they renewed kingstown which had dumper ratings, this will get a greenlight. plus, they still have to market 'ranch water'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV