Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2022, 07:29 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,929,327 times

Advertisements

A brilliant episode last night, perfectly written and acted. I cried like a 4 year old girl...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2022, 07:30 AM

10,924 posts, read 4,671,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Boy, what a show tonight, huh....

what did ya think?

I have the unpopular opinion I bet...but I suck at cheerleading...

after the halfway point it nosedived into the toilet once sheridan ignored history and made up his own.

Everyone does realize that only 4 immigrants made it to oregon from over 100...with his thinking, we are just starting to settle the PNW today due to heavy losses...

this was 1883, not 1803. (by bizarre happenstance, the honors US/PA studies class my kid is taking is doing a research project on how lewis and clark expedition influenced the growth of the US, THIS would be included (look at the maps)

I said it before, even if he made up the trope that they could not take the train that replaced the oregon trail in the 1870s because it was too costly, the road that was, was still there and beside the tracks every step of the way (and still is today) as well as the towns. By the time he worked himself into the story as charles goodnight, in 1883 goodnight was herding cattle into box cars...

For as much as sheridan lectures us on american history - which he clearly never studied - he punted when it counted. Im sorry, I just cannot get past that...it made the whole journey pointless.

It jumped the shark, my wife cried when Elsa died - which was unnecessarily drawn out maudlin but ok - you made the audience identify with her so milk it - and the bulk of the journey was covered in 5 minutes (miles wise), I hate when they do that. Its almost like the paramount brass said, "hey, you do know you got only 10 episodes to work with......right?", when he wrapped #8....

curious tho - in yellowstone, there was a 1883 flashback to where indians came into paradise valley to bury a father and john (tim mcgraw) said sure, gave em a cow etc. was that father the same figure played by graham greene in this episode? (sadly, graham green, to whom no plains indian story is complete without him, played the part the same as he played his indian part in the movie 'maverick' - I literally was expecting Jodie foster and mel gibson to walk onscreen)

Final grade? B-.

Faith hill, musician yes, cigar store wooden indian acting wise.

Sam elliot way past his prime - for those that have followed him since the cult classic 'frogs', he peaked as Basil Plumley in 'we were...', even sheridan in his 'wheres waldo' moment in yellowstone berated 'jimmy' as "roadhouse" being the best movie ever. ok, but that move was almost **35** years ago, hello? mcfly?

Tim Mcgraw - surprising acting chops, but if you ever saw his duet with lionel ritchey for 'sail on' knows he is best behind the mic.

isabel may, may have a bright future if she ignores the advice of the 30-somethings that came before her, and manages to keep her nude selfies off the internet - which so many do on purpose thinking it helps the career.

Lastly, the whole dutton-verse is starting to wear thin on me. lets be honest, at this point the only reason most watch yellowstone is for a) to see in what imaginative ways Kayce beds his wife - or shoots - he has multiple skills, b) who Rip beats the Sh#$ out of, and c) what creative sayings/insults Beth comes up with. Kevin Costner was known thruout his career as 'meat-loaf' due to his acting style (as in "as animated as....") and he clearly peaked in open range which is actually a fitting niche for him, but they better find him something to do in the show...his utilization now - they could remove him and no one would realize)

c.2022 Movies-r-us ;-)

Old 02-28-2022, 08:37 AM

5,738 posts, read 3,240,389 times
I'm glad the new show dovetails 1883, but I'm glad it jumps ahead to 1932. The show ended so sad and heavy...I'm ready to put THOSE people behind me in the rearview mirror, and getting to know a new generation.

Old 02-28-2022, 09:06 AM

7,402 posts, read 12,737,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I'm glad the new show dovetails 1883, but I'm glad it jumps ahead to 1932. The show ended so sad and heavy...I'm ready to put THOSE people behind me in the rearview mirror, and getting to know a new generation.

There will be a wrap-up with some episodes, ordered by Paramount. Sheridan had apparently wanted the 10 episodes to be the extent of the story, with tantalizing flashbacks in the Yellowstone series. We need to see what happened to James after he confronted the rustlers around 1890...

Old 02-28-2022, 12:25 PM

28,987 posts, read 30,394,132 times
for me the sbow was bittersweet, but loved the way it ended with Elsa by her man's side and how the sun never sets in her world.....loved that...

Spoiler
Shea, did no one notice at the end while sitting on the beach he offed himself....I believe Shea felt so beaten and lost especially after so many lives were lost, and believe it was taken so personal, plus his grief for his wife and child were just too much...you could see that as he mentored Elsa along the way....

I loved "Lovestoread" take on Elsa's mother making Elsa wear that dress...that show was just the roughest for me, that it never occured that maybe if she had let well enough alone, Elsa would be alive...

I'm thinking there will be another series coming up in the fall, because I believe I saw that some where....
Everyone was so upset when Elsa's parents were chosen for the parts, but I loved them...although Margaret really reminded me of Beth...a tad too drunk with her own power...and always blaming James for everything...or at least it seemed so.

I thought Elsa's character was completely off the charts, loved her like a daughter...lol

Old 02-28-2022, 02:54 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,062,833 times
Spoiler
This ending was what Shay promised Elsa he would do when he got to Oregon’s Pacific Ocean—because that was what his wife had always wanted to see—he told Elsa that after Ennis was dead and she realized she wouldn’t have his child/a reason to go on….of course she didn’t know that she would meet the other love of her life in that same episode…

Yes…I thought Dutton would want the cattle to start his ranch with
Wade and what’s his name could have come along with the small herd after James returned from burying Elsa to get Margaret…

I would like to know what happens to Thomas and his gypsy wife since they are in proximity to the Duttons
I don’t think any of his relatives have shown up in modern Yellowstone (which I don’t watch)…

And yes—re the flashback to the Crow chief wanting to be buried in Paradise Valley—
I think that is supposed to be somewhat of a reference to Graham Green’s chief in the final 1883 episode

Note that the Crow chief told James that if they settled the valley his descendants would want it back in 7 generations—and James was fine with that—
Interesting that is not the same attitude that Costner’s John Dutton has about the Crows wanting to take back the land….guess it hasn’’t been 7 generations yet

And the point to how the wagon train ended up is two-fold
1–the large landowners enforced their rules with their own police/law in 1883 just like the Duttons are used to doing in 2020–if you watch Yellowstone—since the Cattlemen’s Assoc hired guns found the dead “deputies” and followed the tracks and killed the immigrants—-just like the Lakota followed tracks from their burned village and attacked those they assumed killed their families….
Shoot first, don’t worry about asking/answerlng questions since dead men are mute
2–I think part of the problem came from how popular Yellowstone has turned out and how Sheridan works
He wrote all the scripts himself vs turning out content as the filming is done most of the time
So he had a specific vision but the time was very fixed for putting it into content form
It was a hard shoot with so much done in open and people needing skills they weren’t prepared for
So Sheridan and Paramount were “hoist on their pwn petard”
He promised historical accuracy but to provide content he had to cheat on the time
And I guess because of the parameters of the outstanding background created on Yellowstone, he was locked into a particular way to tell that background
That they came on a wagon train—that they came in 1883–
I know there have been couple of flashbacks there which generated the power to create a spin-off origin story
I don’t think they talked about Great Great Aunt Elsa as being such a prominent feature of their history

I don’t mind that Sheridan focused on Elsa because as Shay said “she outlived me” and it took strong women to settle the West and their stories are often ignored…and thought May did excellent job at sustaining her character’s desire to color outside the lines which for a young woman at that time was very difficult to do

Old 02-28-2022, 03:09 PM

loves2read;This ending was what Shay promised Elsa he would do when he got to Oregon’s Pacific Ocean—because that was what his wife had always wanted to see—he told Elsa that after Ennis was dead and she realized she wouldn’t have his child/a reason to go on….of course she didn’t know that she would meet the other love of her life in that same episode…

Spoiler
Yes but did you hear the gun shot when they pulled off of Shay and just showed the ocean he shot himself.

Quote:
I would like to know what happens to Thomas and his gypsy wife since they are in proximity to the Duttons
I don’t think any of his relatives have shown up in modern Yellowstone (which I don’t watch)…
I believe I saw somewhere that it was coming back on in the fall so we just may see what happens with them.

Quote:
And yes—re the flashback to the Crow chief wanting to be buried in Paradise Valley—
I think that is supposed to be somewhat of a reference to Graham Green’s chief in the final 1883 episode
It was great seeing Graham Green in the show...loved him, always have....he has been in quit a few movies, including the shack.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I don't think it's quit done yet, because they moved ahead in one of the shows, showing Jame's wife in a small cabin with 2 boys, one is John, who is now about 14? Just guessing and another younger boy, so I'm guessing she had another child.

James was off hunting the bad guys and got shot, and he walks up to the cabin bleeding....

remember?

So, I'm certain when the show comes back on in the fall, they will show more of that generation and of John Sr.

Old 02-28-2022, 03:31 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,062,833 times
Quote:
loves2read;This ending was what Shay promised Elsa he would do when he got to Oregon’s Pacific Ocean—because that was what his wife had always wanted to see—he told Elsa that after Ennis was dead and she realized she wouldn’t have his child/a reason to go on….of course she didn’t know that she would meet the other love of her life in that same episode…

Spoiler
Yes but did you hear the gun shot when they pulled off of Shay and just showed the ocean he shot himself.

I believe I saw somewhere that it was coming back on in the fall so we just may see what happens with them.

It was great seeing Graham Green in the show...loved him, always have....he has been in quit a few movies, including the shack.
Yes
I heard the shot and saw his body slump on the sand…

Old 02-28-2022, 03:31 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,240,389 times
Quote:
I don't think it's quit done yet, because they moved ahead in one of the shows, showing Jame's wife in a small cabin with 2 boys, one is John, who is now about 14? Just guessing and another younger boy, so I'm guessing she had another child.

James was off hunting the bad guys and got shot, and he walks up to the cabin bleeding....

remember?

So, I'm certain when the show comes back on in the fall, they will show more of that generation and of John Sr.
Now that you mention it, I DO kind of remember that seen.

I'll tell ya...after yesterday's episode, I just wanted to put all THAT behind me. That was a whole lot of sadness to me. Just a lot of tragedy all the way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV