Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 11:26 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,383,482 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there was a connection between the increase in streaming fees and the recent actors and writers strikes?

"The increase in streaming prices by platforms like Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, and Hulu can be seen as an attempt to offset the additional costs of paying talent more due to the demand for residual payments from streaming."

https://screenrant.com/hollywood-act...stopher-nolan/

Last edited by Motion; 01-24-2024 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 10:51 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,162,453 times
I can usually find plenty to watch on the free channels on my Roku TV. However late last year there was a sale on both Hulu and Max, so I signed up and will watch till the promo pricing is over. I didn't realize that Max carries the HGTV shows. I love most of the home makeover shows. Plus I'm re-watching Chuck and keeping up with the new season of True Detective.

So I'm binge watching almost every day trying to get everything watched.

I haven't watched much Hulu yet because the Max promo ends first but I see there's plenty to keep me busy at Hulu too.

Old 01-25-2024, 11:22 AM

9,895 posts, read 7,243,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I was wondering if there was a connection between the increase in streaming fees and the recent actors and writers strikes?

"The increase in streaming prices by platforms like Netflix, Apple TV+, Disney+, and Hulu can be seen as an attempt to offset the additional costs of paying talent more due to the demand for residual payments from streaming."

https://screenrant.com/hollywood-act...stopher-nolan/
You answered your own question. Yes streamers will raise prices due to increased costs. But since the biggest - Netflix - was the one fighting the hardest to keep data from the unions, it's an excuse to increase prices rather than finding half a percent to pay the artists.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:57 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,155,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
I can usually find plenty to watch on the free channels on my Roku TV. However late last year there was a sale on both Hulu and Max, so I signed up and will watch till the promo pricing is over. I didn't realize that Max carries the HGTV shows. I love most of the home makeover shows. Plus I'm re-watching Chuck and keeping up with the new season of True Detective.

So I'm binge watching almost every day trying to get everything watched.

I haven't watched much Hulu yet because the Max promo ends first but I see there's plenty to keep me busy at Hulu too.
Yeah, I got Hulu for $1.99 a month and for signing up for Paramount+, Showtime was free. But, I really don't watch either one much, I am going to cancel them. Went in to cancel Peacock and they offered it for $2.50 month if I would keep it. Watched a couple things on it and am going to drop it too. I think people are going to do just that, sign up just to watch a couple things and then cancel.

Old Today, 05:10 PM

Here's an interesting reason for streaming price increases. I'm curious to see what streaming will be like 2 years from now.

"Every streaming service is raising prices. How come?

The price of a streaming subscription is going way up because the services were too inexpensive for too long.

Internet companies thrive by undercutting the establishment on price. Netflix, Amazon and Google all offered products — be it TV, books or news — more cheaply than the legacy players. These low prices made their services popular, and some of the companies used that popularity to raise money during a time of low interest rates. They needed that money to fund unprofitable businesses.

While this has been great for consumers, it couldn’t last forever..."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsl...uture-unveiled

Old Today, 05:13 PM

11,622 posts, read 6,078,840 times
Everybody I know wants fully controllable ala carte without commercials, to purchase ONLY those channels and providers they want to watch. Period, end of story.

Corporations adamantly refuse to give us that control at any price.

They win because they have the monopoly. All we can do is go Galt and boycott their products, which we end up cutting off our nose to spite our faces.

I don't know where streaming goes from here, but anything they do will be nothing I like and at no cost I feel is fair. It is all overpriced trash, has been, and that won't likely change.

Old Today, 05:18 PM

11,622 posts, read 6,078,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
We kept our old land line when I closed my business. $23.00 a month. Family usually calls that number. I have had it since 1992.
$23? That is not typical.

I terminated land line phone service when more than half of the $70/month cost was taxes and fees. The taxes and fees were more than the underlying basic service I had.

Beyond that, I just never used it. I can screen everything with caller ID on my smart phone. My land line voice mail was always overfilled with messages from phone soliciters and nobody could ever leave a message.

I was afraid at first to be without a dedicated land line but years later, I don't miss it at all, but I like saving the $1000/year it costs today.

Old Today, 05:20 PM

9,181 posts, read 6,351,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Everybody I know wants fully controllable ala carte without commercials, to purchase ONLY those channels and providers they want to watch. Period, end of story.

Corporations adamantly refuse to give us that control at any price.

They win because they have the monopoly. All we can do is go Galt and boycott their products, which we end up cutting off our nose to spite our faces.

I don't know where streaming goes from here, but anything they do will be nothing I like and at no cost I feel is fair. It is all overpriced trash, has been, and that won't likely change.
My answer to this situation is a DVD collection for legacy content and YouTube for new content. I find YouTubers create much more interesting new content than Hollywood.

Old Today, 11:55 PM

I watched a video on streaming where the uploader talked about people who liked to subscribe to a streaming service to watch certain shows but then cancel once the season is over for those shows then resubscribe once the shows come back. This guy says that this may cause streaming companies to start charging a "resubscribe fee" to keep people from doing this. So watch out for that. Does this type of fee seem likely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV