Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 AM

9,157 posts, read 14,833,474 times

Advertisements

Honestly, (and surprisingly to me) I did not hate the ending. Luckily I had stayed away from all the discussion about the mother dying theory except for one friend who has been convinced of that for a few weeks, but I had not seen the various denials of it that I am reading about now. I always thought Ted and robin should be together anyway and thought that they would figure a way to make it happen through half the series until the writers said that she wasn't the mother and then they picked another woman as the mother. They did walk a line though in their statements over the years about their relations ship.

On the other hand, my wife hated it and this is Lost to her. (she had been telling me for a long time that I would be disappointed and I said no, Lindeloff said this and that, they wont hang us out, and when the finale rolled on she was almost a bit gloat-y. )

I do agree that the season probably should have been a little less plodding in the early episodes and maybe a couple of episodes devoted to what was shown last night, but they might have caught crap over some of that if it had come out over two or three episodes with time in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 07:27 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,751,870 times
I think the reason why I hated the ending is that it was absolutely terrible. I liked the idea Ted and Robin together in seasons 1 and 2, but after that we were beaten over the head with these are two very different people and it will not work out. Robin also only seemed to want Ted back romantically when she couldn't have him (ie. when he was about to marry Stella, when he was with the mother). The show tells us it is about the journey not the destination and was marketed as a "love story in reverse." Having him get back together with someone who dumped him 1000 times already isn't a love story in reverse. The best part of his relationship with the mother is that it all seemed to flow very easily and naturally which was something he never had with Robin (or any of the others) and never will.

I can accept the mother dying, but the kids being like "mom has been dead for six years, why don't you go bang-out aunt robin?" just made no sense as they were young kids when their mother died since she died in 2024.

I also don't understand why he had a ring on in Trilogy Time when he brought Penny as his date, but it took him and the mother seven years together to get married. That was a huge continuity issue, nor do I think he would have waited to marry the mother. That was garbage, because it didn't go with the trilogy episode nor was it in line with Ted's character.

It really should have ended with Barney and Robin, Marshall and Lilly, and Ted and the Mother figuring out how to play bridge on the front porch. To me, the show should be renamed to how he convinced his kids to let him booty call Aunt Robin after the death of their mother. Had this been the ending if the show lasted four years, sure.... But they spent a lot of time ruining Ted and Robin's relationship that it just didn't work anymore and was the most annoying part of the show. I was glad in the episode before that he came to realize he didn't love her in that way anymore and he was chasing the idea of her. It was the truth, as he did not actually love who Robin was but the concept of what she could have been. The reality of her never worked for him, but it was easy to love her when he didn't have anyone better in his life.

I guess the only way the ending worked on any level is that he is still loving the idea of her rather than the person, because the one person with whom things were natural with was gone and Ted really isn't someone who can be alone. The actress who played the mother made it so his relationship with Robin couldn't compare to what he shared with her as she was just so unbelievably cute in her relationship with him and was the dorky fun girl he needed (willing to be an old FL voter to his hanging chad!).... so it was another where maybe if we hadn't had the chance to get to know her, the ending with Robin could have worked the way that they intended it to work, as that being his "last forever."

Old 04-01-2014, 12:12 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,018,846 times
I liked how it ended but I kind of expected that the mother wasn't exactly in the picture like she was. Don't want to go into specifics because I am not sure who hasn't watched it yet.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,503,741 times
I felt rather sad and deflated after the finale. After a few seasons, I did not see Ted and Robin as a romantic couple, good friends yes, romantic partners no. On the other hand, I adored Barney and Robin as a couple. They are both equally damaged individuals, who played off each other well. The producers just spent an entire season, and part of the last one, bringing Robin and Barney to a committment. And then boom, a quick divorce without too much explanation.

While it was sad to learn that the mother died with young children, it was only written that way to get what the writers thought was the end game couple, Ted and Robin. Just thought that part where the kids said it was six years, and that it was ok to date Aunt Robin. Just felt icky.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 PM

500 posts, read 1,177,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I felt rather sad and deflated after the finale. After a few seasons, I did not see Ted and Robin as a romantic couple, good friends yes, romantic partners no. On the other hand, I adored Barney and Robin as a couple. They are both equally damaged individuals, who played off each other well. The producers just spent an entire season, and part of the last one, bringing Robin and Barney to a committment. And then boom, a quick divorce without too much explanation.

While it was sad to learn that the mother died with young children, it was only written that way to get what the writers thought was the end game couple, Ted and Robin. Just thought that part where the kids said it was six years, and that it was ok to date Aunt Robin. Just felt icky.
All of this.

I was hoping that at the end, we would discover that the father's voice was really a DVD recording of him telling this story to them because HE had died, and then the mother comes in to comfort the kids.

Barney knocking up a random chick and Unable-to-get-pregnant-Robin being all happy for him at the end, and him being even more of an over exaggerated version of his normal self? Dumb. Just dumb.

They should have left well enough alone and not tried to force a Ted/Robin thing, when clearly they were never right for each other.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,598,751 times
I liked most of the ending, although the time jumps made my head spin! I didn't watch most of the last season, since I absolutely abhorred Robin and Barney together, and the gimmick of making the wedding last the whole season. Ugh.

But I loved the last bit with the blue horn -- things went full circle. And maybe Ted and Robin weren't right for each other in the beginning, but became right for each other over a few decades. It happens a lot, especially after the death of a spouse.

Two things, though. I was getting confused with Ted's voiceover, pictured with him reading aloud from a book in the hospital -- I kept thinking, did he write a book about meeting the mother and was now reading it to her??? Nope.

And Ted speaking directly to the kids at the end -- it seemed disjointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they were filmed months apart. Didn't feel as if they were even in the same room.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
bu2

24,166 posts, read 15,024,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I think the reason why I hated the ending is that it was absolutely terrible. I liked the idea Ted and Robin together in seasons 1 and 2, but after that we were beaten over the head with these are two very different people and it will not work out. Robin also only seemed to want Ted back romantically when she couldn't have him (ie. when he was about to marry Stella, when he was with the mother). The show tells us it is about the journey not the destination and was marketed as a "love story in reverse." Having him get back together with someone who dumped him 1000 times already isn't a love story in reverse. The best part of his relationship with the mother is that it all seemed to flow very easily and naturally which was something he never had with Robin (or any of the others) and never will.

I can accept the mother dying, but the kids being like "mom has been dead for six years, why don't you go bang-out aunt robin?" just made no sense as they were young kids when their mother died since she died in 2024.

I also don't understand why he had a ring on in Trilogy Time when he brought Penny as his date, but it took him and the mother seven years together to get married. That was a huge continuity issue, nor do I think he would have waited to marry the mother. That was garbage, because it didn't go with the trilogy episode nor was it in line with Ted's character.

It really should have ended with Barney and Robin, Marshall and Lilly, and Ted and the Mother figuring out how to play bridge on the front porch. To me, the show should be renamed to how he convinced his kids to let him booty call Aunt Robin after the death of their mother. Had this been the ending if the show lasted four years, sure.... But they spent a lot of time ruining Ted and Robin's relationship that it just didn't work anymore and was the most annoying part of the show. I was glad in the episode before that he came to realize he didn't love her in that way anymore and he was chasing the idea of her. It was the truth, as he did not actually love who Robin was but the concept of what she could have been. The reality of her never worked for him, but it was easy to love her when he didn't have anyone better in his life.

I guess the only way the ending worked on any level is that he is still loving the idea of her rather than the person, because the one person with whom things were natural with was gone and Ted really isn't someone who can be alone. The actress who played the mother made it so his relationship with Robin couldn't compare to what he shared with her as she was just so unbelievably cute in her relationship with him and was the dorky fun girl he needed (willing to be an old FL voter to his hanging chad!).... so it was another where maybe if we hadn't had the chance to get to know her, the ending with Robin could have worked the way that they intended it to work, as that being his "last forever."
Agree with you. Don't know if I have ever commented on a TV show before, but this was awful.
Robin said things change. Yet Robin didn't change. Barney didn't change. And Ted 25 years later still had the hots for a girl who was all wrong for him. Didn't learn a thing. They beat us over the head that Ted and Robin didn't work-and it really didn't. Robin and Barney ending in divorce wasn't totally out of character. But Robin and Ted at the end just didn't work.

Got me thinking of the college class reunion episode. I think I remember Marshall asking Ted, "Where's your wife?" as they were getting high. Wonder if that fit in their timeline? Don't remember what year that class reunion was.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM

777 posts, read 1,341,341 times
I personally liked the ending. I wasn't sure what to expect. I think I just expected the mother was dead (or even alive) "and that kids, is how I met your mother." Pretty straightforward. Ted waits all those years and finally found that one girl that is practically his other half, and they have the whole "American Dream." Despite that, I'm not upset about her dying and he goes back to Robin. Like the kids said, the whole story really did seem about him and Robin: it starts with her, and it ultimately ends with her. I think it makes it somewhat realistic. Even though Robin wasn't ready for Ted all those years, it's a lot similar to many couples these days, who just have to go through a billion hurdles before they realize that after all this time, they should've been together. Some may get that chance, and some may not. Tracy dying, happened to give Robin and Ted that chance.

I wasn't against Robin and Barney though. It showed Barney's growth to even marry Robin, and the divorce, while somewhat unexpected, wasn't totally shocking. It seemed to be an inevitable Barney move.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:50 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,732,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
I liked most of the ending, although the time jumps made my head spin! I didn't watch most of the last season, since I absolutely abhorred Robin and Barney together, and the gimmick of making the wedding last the whole season. Ugh.

But I loved the last bit with the blue horn -- things went full circle. And maybe Ted and Robin weren't right for each other in the beginning, but became right for each other over a few decades. It happens a lot, especially after the death of a spouse.

Two things, though. I was getting confused with Ted's voiceover, pictured with him reading aloud from a book in the hospital -- I kept thinking, did he write a book about meeting the mother and was now reading it to her??? Nope.

And Ted speaking directly to the kids at the end -- it seemed disjointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they were filmed months apart. Didn't feel as if they were even in the same room.
Try years apart. The kids were filmed at the beginning of season 2. I agree-- it looked sloppy.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,744,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Try years apart. The kids were filmed at the beginning of season 2. I agree-- it looked sloppy.
Indeed. I actually thought they would have filmed Bob Saget playing Ted in that scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV