Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,583,797 times

Advertisements

Years? Well then, that explains it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I personally liked the ending. I wasn't sure what to expect. I think I just expected the mother was dead (or even alive) "and that kids, is how I met your mother." Pretty straightforward. Ted waits all those years and finally found that one girl that is practically his other half, and they have the whole "American Dream." Despite that, I'm not upset about her dying and he goes back to Robin. Like the kids said, the whole story really did seem about him and Robin: it starts with her, and it ultimately ends with her. I think it makes it somewhat realistic. Even though Robin wasn't ready for Ted all those years, it's a lot similar to many couples these days, who just have to go through a billion hurdles before they realize that after all this time, they should've been together. Some may get that chance, and some may not. Tracy dying, happened to give Robin and Ted that chance.

I wasn't against Robin and Barney though. It showed Barney's growth to even marry Robin, and the divorce, while somewhat unexpected, wasn't totally shocking. It seemed to be an inevitable Barney move.
Interesting. I felt pretty much the same. I guess this comes down to if you thought Ted and Robin were good together or not.

As far as the kids. I had read that they filmed multiple versions both for security and to give the writers some flexibility as it was several years back that they filmed them all. Who knows if that's true, but certainly seems plausible. I imagine they had a pretty massive NDA with them as well. That's a heck of a secret to keep all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
All of this.

I was hoping that at the end, we would discover that the father's voice was really a DVD recording of him telling this story to them because HE had died, and then the mother comes in to comfort the kids.

Barney knocking up a random chick and Unable-to-get-pregnant-Robin being all happy for him at the end, and him being even more of an over exaggerated version of his normal self? Dumb. Just dumb.

They should have left well enough alone and not tried to force a Ted/Robin thing, when clearly they were never right for each other.
While I don't agree Ted and Robin felt forced, your thing about a recording of their now dead dad telling this would have been pretty awesome. Kudos!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
The Mom didn't get enough air time. If he was going to get back with robin - 6 years? ugh. IDK how to explain how I feel about this. It was just strange.

Like 'here she is'. 'Oh, nevermind'.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:29 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,454,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Crazy good episode last night.

Sad and touching story about her first love showing that she is similar in many ways to Ted but has a totally different story; and then at the end while she was singing La Vie En Rose they give us a quick reminder of where Lily & Marshall are and then the cliffhanger of Barney being gone.

I'll miss this show because of episodes like this. Yes they are getting fewer and farther between, but this was a damn good television episode.
Having been widowed young (incidentally, just over 6 years ago), I felt this episode was quite realistic. Usually writers miss the mark, in my opinion, but they were spot on-especially with her asking Max if it was okay to move on. But it was rather heavy for a sitcom. Luckily, I had been forewarned and had Kleenex on hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I think I just expected the mother was dead (or even alive) "and that kids, is how I met your mother." Pretty straightforward.
That's how I thought it would end: "and that kids is how I met your mother," with the mother then appearing from the other room. That would have been a much better ending IMO.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:31 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,739,030 times
I think the thing about Ted and Robin is they were good together in season 2, but then we had many, many, many more seasons showing how truly incompatible they were. There was a moment of clarity for Ted, when she was ready to run off with him where he did realize she wasn't the girl that he loved. It was this moment that did finally allow him to meet the mother, because he let go of his torch for Robin. I could have believed and stood by that as being why he began his story with Robin, as a way of telling his kids that sometimes you feel so strongly that you want this one thing and that you've got tunnel-vision for it, but then what life does bring you is a million times better. I think that's something many of us have experienced. We thought we truly loved a person until we then meet someone else who completely changes our definition of love.

I feel like what the show was trying to do was put together the two people who were in the pilot for the sake of bringing elements of the pilot (the blue French horn, Ted's grand romantic gestures). Many shows bring together the two main characters as a way of closing out a story (ie. Ross/Rachel from Friends, JD/Elliott from Scrubs) and I kind of wish that HIMYM would have defied that expectation by showing us that sometimes, we don't get who we want, but it can be even better than that...

Old 04-02-2014, 03:31 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,020 times
I sat there an yelled "boooooooooooooo!" at the end. I watched it the next night on CBS.com
It was just too convenient... but this statement and this article really explain it best

Spoiler
How I Met Your Aunt: A Bizarre Ending for How I Met Your Mother - Megan Garber - The Atlantic
So HIMYM, despite and maybe because of its insistence that friend and family cannot be—and should not be—distinguished from one another, ended up embracing one of the most regressive assumptions a story can make: that anyone outside its sphere of influence is, ultimately, expendable. The show rejected the structure of friendships as most of us experience them—as rich, fluid networks populated by varied universes of people—in favor of something narrower. And just a tiny bit xenophobic.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,726,087 times
Note: At this point, I'm not using the spoiler block anymore-- we're closing in on 48 hours since it aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I think the thing about Ted and Robin is they were good together in season 2, but then we had many, many, many more seasons showing how truly incompatible they were.
This right here is my gripe. The more I read about the series and watch the older episodes, the more I'm convinced Thomas & Bays didn't foresee the show going on for nine seasons. This, of course, is problematic as they wrote the finale in the beginning.

The ending we saw would've worked perfectly if the show ended at seasons 2 or 3-- especially since Victoria was slated to be the mom back then.

The problem was that, after season 4, things got touch and go as to how long the show would run with each renewal. To fill the space, we got inundated with episodes about why Ted and Robin weren't meant to be together. With the unique challenges the characters faced in the later seasons (Robin's & Ted's careers, Marshal losing his father, Barney's monogamous relationships, Lily's life direction, and Ted's failed wedding), the finale more or less negated the character development we witnessed. It was written for season 2 or 3 Ted, who would've totally gone for Robin if Victoria died (think back to the "Nothing Good Happens at 2AM" episode).

Maybe if we had more context about the nature of Ted and Robin's relationship in the aftermath of Tracy's death, I could've accepted their union more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
As far as the kids. I had read that they filmed multiple versions both for security and to give the writers some flexibility as it was several years back that they filmed them all. Who knows if that's true, but certainly seems plausible. I imagine they had a pretty massive NDA with them as well. That's a heck of a secret to keep all these years.
Yes, that's all correct-- they filmed multiple versions and signed NDAs. The extra crew had to leave the studio too. The cast didn't even know how it ended. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Josh Radnor was the only main cast member who knew how it ended-- even during filming. Even Cobie Smulders' last scene never really referenced what was going on.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,715,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The Mom didn't get enough air time. If he was going to get back with robin - 6 years? ugh. IDK how to explain how I feel about this. It was just strange.

Like 'here she is'. 'Oh, nevermind'.
That was the point. The mother, Tracy, was the mother and they showed that but she wasn't Teds true love, just as Ted wasn't the mothers true love. The mother even said her true love was the guy before Ted, forget his name. All those seasons of Ted dating but still wanting Robin make the ending work.

I do have to say the ending was predictable but seeing Barney meet his child was a nice touch.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:40 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
I don't think he had stopped loving Robin. He didn't run off with her because he knew she was just freaking out and not having a moment of true realization.

He was taking that train to get away from watching the woman he loved be with another man.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times
I watched this show from the beginning and really just wanted it to end. This whole season was annoying and hard to follow. Interesting about the kids being filmed so long ago. I wondered why they didn't seem to age. Barney and Robin divorcing was realistic. Barney having a kid was realistic. I was bummed they killed off the mother. I mean, she just got here! That was just sad, after waiting so long to find each other. I didn't see the point in them waiting for 7 years to get married. That didn't seem to fit and seemed pointless.

Robin and Ted... I don't know... if they were meant to be, it seems like they should have known that years before. Although, she didn't want kids, and this gave Ted a way to have kids, and her not to. But she'd be a step mom... Not ideal.

I'm ok with the ending. I just wish they'd made this season easier to follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV