Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,081,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Hell of an ending, although I believe that no one would be upright, such as Gus, after having half of his head blown off, among other fatal injuries.
heh
I left my suspension of disbelief back with the tortoise-riding head.
I really was fooled by that last scene with Gus, where he's standing there adjusting his jacket.
I also had a stomach ache for the last 15 minutes of the episode.

Gilligan warned us that we would be going on a journey with Walt, from mild-mannered car-wash guy, to deadly meth cook Heisenberg, car-wash owner.
He's not just breaking bad, he's gone full tilt.
He has regrets, but still enjoys the ride.

I do, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,233,618 times
Based on what I read of the Gilligan interview, the writers thought we would be sympathetic of Walt.

I'm not. Not at all. Gus was becoming a more sympathetic character this season. I felt badly that he had to put up with Walt.

Walt's wife and children weren't in danger. All he had to do was let Gus kill Hank. He should have considered himself lucky that Gus was going to let him live.

There's no ethical trade off for sacrificing a child to protect Hank.

Love, love, love the show. But they were off target when they intended to invoke our sympathy.

I'm surprised they didn't realize that they switched Walt into the evil character mode and put Gus into the sympathetic mode this season.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Based on what I read of the Gilligan interview, the writers thought we would be sympathetic of Walt.

I'm not. Not at all. Gus was becoming a more sympathetic character this season. I felt badly that he had to put up with Walt.

Walt's wife and children weren't in danger. All he had to do was let Gus kill Hank. He should have considered himself lucky that Gus was going to let him live.

There's no ethical trade off for sacrificing a child to protect Hank.

Love, love, love the show. But they were off target when they intended to invoke our sympathy.

I'm surprised they didn't realize that they switched Walt into the evil character mode and put Gus into the sympathetic mode this season.
Well, the kid recovered. It was certainly a risk, and I had suspected that Walt was behind it. He purposely let Jane die. Edit to add another terrible deed: He called a poor old lady neighbor to go into his house!
He's a bad dude, but a wonderful character to watch, superbly acted.

I always thought, despite the "sees something" schtick, that Jesse was merely a puppet for Gus, and Gus, who very early on had the sense to try to stay away from Walt, was too greedy to refrain from getting involved with him (and ultimately threatened his entire family, making sure to carefully enunciate ""your infant daughter.")

That's life (and death) in the fast lane.

I think Walter, flawed as he is (and boy is he ever flawed) has much affection for Jesse, despite how much mutual exasperation they endure.
That scene in the hospital with Walter, Jesse and the bomb.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 10-10-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Glad the writers didn't leave the audience guessing. Hate silly cliff hangers.

http://i.imgur.com/dezxE.jpg

Old 10-10-2011, 06:44 PM

107 posts, read 214,566 times
Possibilities for next season:

Does anybody remember that the old man in the nursing home had a photo of himself posing with his twin grandsons when they were children? There was a third child in that photo, a boy older than the twins. I am wondering where the older grandson is and if he will show up for revenge.

I am also thinking that there are so many surveillance cameras on buildings these days, don't you think Walt's brother-in-law, Hank, will be going out of his way to find footage of who blew up Gus and the old man?

Another possibility is that Gus may not have died (but I could be very wrong). There was a women next door saying "hi" to Walt when he was hiding outside, maybe she was killed in the blast, but they were able to put Gus back together again (he's on the board of the hospital). Yes, I saw his face, but it's TV.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,855,351 times
Sixteen episodes would give them time to establish new characters without it seeming rushed, so I think there might be some new person introduced. I did wonder what happened to Mike, but he is more of a henchman, I don't know if he'd be all that interested in avenging Gus. Unless of course he was working for someone else...

Other than that, next season might be about Walt trying to pretend that none of it happened and that everything is fine now, and of course failing.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I always thought, despite the "sees something" schtick, that Jesse was merely a puppet for Gus, and Gus, who very early on had the sense to try to stay away from Walt, was too greedy to refrain from getting involved with him (and ultimately threatened his entire family, making sure to carefully enunciate ""your infant daughter.")

That's life (and death) in the fast lane.

I think Walter, flawed as he is (and boy is he ever flawed) has much affection for Jesse, despite how much mutual exasperation they endure.
That scene in the hospital with Walter, Jesse and the bomb.
Walt uses Jesse as a puppet! At least with Gus, we saw a lifetime loyalty to a friend who was killed by the cartel. Loyalty meant something to Gus, in a two way street way. Loyalty doesn't mean anything to Walt.

Remember, Gus only threatened Walt's wife and children as a warning to not interfer with his killing Hank. Walt had a choice. Letting Hank be killed was the most simple solution. Hank was putting everyone at risk, including Walt. If Hank had been killed, that risk would have been gone. Now that Walt warned the DEA through the lawyer, the DEA will continue to investigate even if Hank dies. The smartest solution was to let Hank go. His solution of blowing up Hector and Gus and the boyguard and the lab at the laundromat will spark an intense investigation from the DEA. Hank dying would have been a small trade off and wouldn't have created more problems.

Instead he chose to go all nutty, warn the DEA, screw with Jesse, put Jesse's girlfriend's kid at risk, his neighbor at risk, and killed more people, creating even bigger problems. If Walt is supposed to be such a genius that he can foresee possible future events to do things to sway Jesse (make the child sick) or get Gus to come out into the open (send Hector to the DEA's office), then Hank should be smart enough to have realized that letting Hank die was the best possible solution.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
[/i]I am also thinking that there are so many surveillance cameras on buildings these days, don't you think Walt's brother-in-law, Hank, will be going out of his way to find footage of who blew up Gus and the old man?
I was thinking the same thing.

Another plot twist could be Skylar going into witness protection against Walt. I doubt she's comfortable knowing what he's capable of doing. And when the heat comes down on them, I think she'll bail on him to protect herself and her children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Other than that, next season might be about Walt trying to pretend that none of it happened and that everything is fine now, and of course failing.
Yep. With only the car wash to support them, Walt is not going to be happy. He hated working at the car wash when he was a teacher. And he has an overblown ego on a super big power trip.

I anticipate that Jesse will figure out that Walt poisoned the kid and he'll kill Walt.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 PM

107 posts, read 214,566 times
Quote: I anticipate that Jesse will figure out that Walt poisoned the kid and he'll kill Walt.

I was thinking the same think, but now I am wondering if Gus did poison the boy afterall, then had someone put the plant on Walt's property to turn Jesse against Walt. After all, there were those two men coming out the back of Walt's house when Walt had the neighbor go in. Maybe that was why those men were there. How do we really know that Walt was the one who poisoned the boy? One thing is for sure, Walt doesn't have good alibis for where he was, not to his family, Jesse, or anyone. He had plenty of time to make bombs, plant poison cigarettes, and set up Gus. I'd have to look at an earlier episode to see if that plant was there.

As far as letting Hank get murdered, I think that would go against his motto of "That's what a man does, he takes care of his family" and Hank is part of his family. If Hank goes, so does his wife, because she would feel awful for her sister. Other than his wife, children, sister- and brother-in-law (and maybe Jesse), everybody else is fair game to him when it comes to survival.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
Quote: I anticipate that Jesse will figure out that Walt poisoned the kid and he'll kill Walt.

I was thinking the same think, but now I am wondering if Gus did poison the boy afterall, then had someone put the plant on Walt's property to turn Jesse against Walt. After all, there were those two men coming out the back of Walt's house when Walt had the neighbor go in. Maybe that was why those men were there. How do we really know that Walt was the one who poisoned the boy? One thing is for sure, Walt doesn't have good alibis for where he was, not to his family, Jesse, or anyone. He had plenty of time to make bombs, plant poison cigarettes, and set up Gus. I'd have to look at an earlier episode to see if that plant was there.
The show creator verified it in an interview. I posted a link previously. Here's a quote relevant to that:

Quote:
Q. What about the closing shot of the episode, the poisonous plant growing ominously in Walt’s backyard. Is it meant to suggest the possibility that he might have poisoned Brock, or is it meant to say he definitely did it?

A. To me it is fairly definitive. But there’s the old Billy Wilder quote, which I am going to misquote, that if you give the audience 2 plus 2 and let them add it up to 4 themselves, they’ll love you forever. I abide by that. The audience is plenty smart, and I like giving them as little as possible, and letting them do the math themselves. It’s such a shocking moment, that you find out the full badness, if you will, of Walter White, and you learn, truly, what he’s capable of: these monstrous acts, up to and including poisoning a child to further his and his family’s survival. To me, a moment like that is best told delicately. It’s best to not hit the audience over the head with it but to let them do the math themselves.

Vince Gilligan of 'Breaking Bad' Talks About Ending the Season, and the Series - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV