Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,297,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
I haven't watched Jon & Kate for about a year now because I don't think watching "celebrities" raise their children is interesting. When you have personal shoppers, an array of babysitters, a huge house, and a lot of money to buy organic food, the "real life" part of the show goes out the window. Plus, how many vacations do these people need? An average family gets one vacation per year. They've been on quite a few...Utah, North Carolina, Disneyworld, Hawaii, etc, etc. What made the show interesting was watching them figure out how to manage it all. Taking the kids to the local theme park or the annual 4th of July parade. That is real life. The show has departed from its roots and the Gosselins seem to have lost their way.

However, since I have been watching from the beginning, I think it's unfair for anyone here to label Jon as some sort of loser who doesn't have a real job. Before TLC came along and they started getting "freebies" who do you think took care of the family? Jon went to work every day and then came home and took an active role in his kids lives. Does anyone here besides me remember him driving practically non-stop to Florida because Kate said she was "unfamiliar with the roads"? I recall him getting the same number of kids dressed for every outing they took just as Kate did. He was literally getting his hands dirty when the kids were sick (remember him changing sheets and comforters and running up and down the stairs just like Kate was doing?)

It wasn't so many seasons ago when they were clearly working as a team. Jon worked outside the house, Kate worked inside and did the budgeting and shopping. I loved the episode with her coupons. Kate got the girls ready, Jon got the boys ready. Kate potty trained the girls and Jon was very involved in potty training the boys. Kate took the girls for their days out, Jon took the boys. They both took the kids on their individual days out. Kate would ask Jon to take the kids downstairs while she cooked or cleaned. I could go on and on.

This show needs to end. I am sure there is footage of Jon and Kate both saying at the beginning of the show that they would stop as soon as they weren't having fun anymore. Well, I did DVR last night's episode and it is very clear that Jon has checked out. Kate has become someone who "loves shopping". How many seasons ago did we see an episode where Jon had to literally take her shopping and show her what to wear because she didn't like to go shopping? Kate said last night that "packing up the kids and heading to do a taping of the Oprah show was normal". When are the kids going to school?

The problem here is that they are not on the same page anymore. As someone who's been married for 10 years myself, I know that there are ups and downs in every marriage but what keeps you together is learning to compromise. There is no reason to do the show anymore. When the kids go to school full-time next year, what is there to film? It's time to work on their marriage, Kate's got to learn to compromise (since it seems like when she says "she loves what she's doing now" that is code for "I am enjoying the limelight and the benefits that go along with it") and Jon needs to return to being a work outside the home dad. He did that for years and it made him feel like he's contributing. I can tell just by watching this one episode that he seems like he feels that he's a man without a purpose. Things are not going to go well for them if they continue down this path.
I wish I had the money to buy organic food like they do.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. This is an excellent post. I do remember Jon leaving everyday for work and the kids waving bye to him and waiting for him to come home. I feel very sorry for Jon and Cara and the little kids. Kate and Maddy are two peas in a pod.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,889,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I wish I had the money to buy organic food like they do.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. This is an excellent post. I do remember Jon leaving everyday for work and the kids waving bye to him and waiting for him to come home. I feel very sorry for Jon and Cara and the little kids. Kate and Maddy are two peas in a pod.

You don't have to have alot of money to buy organic food. You just need to make good decisions when shopping. We have considerably less money than the Goeslings but I buy a great deal of organic food.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,959,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
I felt sorry for Jon that he wasn't "allowed" to voice his frustration. Someone needs to put a muzzle over that woman's mouth!
Amen.

Jon isn't allowed to say much of anything on the show. I remember when he used to stand up to her, and actually took part of the interviews. She put an end to that.

I was over at my mothers this afternoon and she had it on. There was an episode where they went to Sesame Street Land and she got several digs in about what he wanted to wear, him supposedly not helping (which he was) andshe told him to stop looking at his physique so much in front of the camera.

Then the "finale" came on and Kate was saying that she was looking forward to season 5, and this is one of the best things that has happened to them BLAH BLAH BLAH. Jon made it clear that he does not feel comfortable doing this, and her answer was " well I love it". Just another way that Kate has proven herself to be self centered. Go ahead Kate, alienate another family member so that you can have the fame and money.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,161,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
Then the "finale" came on and Kate was saying that she was looking forward to season 5, and this is one of the best things that has happened to them BLAH BLAH BLAH. Jon made it clear that he does not feel comfortable doing this, and her answer was " well I love it". Just another way that Kate has proven herself to be self centered. Go ahead Kate, alienate another family member so that you can have the fame and money.
As someone who watched a family member go through a nasty divorce, I saw similarities to their situation and what Jon & Kate are going through. When my sister got promoted at work and suddenly found herself making WAY more money than her husband, their marriage started to take a turn. Suddenly, my sister found a voice (and expressed it probably more than she should have) about everything from finances to their clothes to where they would eat. Her husband felt like he didn't get a say in how they spent their money anymore because their "upgraded" lifestyle was entirely due to his wife. Before my sister got her promotion, they worked on a budget together. They decided together what they were going to spend their money on. The day after my sister got her promotion, she went out and bought a stainless steel LG refrigerator with a tv in the door just because she could. The entire family let out a collective, "uh-oh" and weren't surprised when things began to crumble. I love my sister but I bet that if she knew then what she knows now, she would have done a lot of things differently. Her ex-husband was a really good man that suddenly found himself without a purpose.

Many couples have financial changes in their marriage and many don't end in divorce. However, Kate is finding herself as the "celebrity" in this and I believe her hostility and pushiness are coming out at an even larger degree because she feels financially empowered to do what she wants because she is not dependent on Jon anymore. She is failing to realize that it's not about the money. A good marriage with a partner who is happy and feels he is contributing is priceless and no amount of Oprah shows is going to make up for the loss of a husband. The only reason to continue this show is to feed Kate's ego and that has "divorce" written all over it.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,530,605 times
Quote:
Many couples have financial changes in their marriage and many don't end in divorce. However, Kate is finding herself as the "celebrity" in this and I believe her hostility and pushiness are coming out at an even larger degree because she feels financially empowered to do what she wants because she is not dependent on Jon anymore. She is failing to realize that it's not about the money. A good marriage with a partner who is happy and feels he is contributing is priceless and no amount of Oprah shows is going to make up for the loss of a husband. The only reason to continue this show is to feed Kate's ego and that has "divorce" written all over it.
From the clips they show of 'How We Began' they really seemed very happy together. I think you are correct about the changes. Staying home with 8 kids for 4 years had to be stifling and I can understand to a degree why she is enjoying 'being herself' although I really wouldn't want to be Jon.

It seems like he should be able to find a business venture. I can't imagine that Kate will have a lengthy career as a public speaker/author. The Olsen twins and thousands of others seem to have made millions with clothing lines and DVDs. As long as they've gone this far they might as well do that, too.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,297,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
You don't have to have alot of money to buy organic food. You just need to make good decisions when shopping. We have considerably less money than the Goeslings but I buy a great deal of organic food.

I actually make very good decisions when shopping thank you kindly. And maybe where you live there is not alot of difference in the prices between organic and non but where I live there is.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:49 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,959,769 times
Quote:

This is an excellent point, and well written. I think most people agree with you. The Kate worshipers will believe whatever they want, and more power to them, but it's very obvious that Jon is unhappy (and rightly so) and Kate's ego has gone through the roof. She's too blinded by the money and fame to see what impact this is really having on her family and marriage.

There is a blog website called Gosselins Without Pity, where a lot of people are expressing their disdain of Kate and her behavior on the show.

I bet there will be one more season and that's it. I don't think Jon and Kate will get divorced, I certainly hope not.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM

631 posts, read 1,889,583 times
Quote:
I actually make very good decisions when shopping thank you kindly. And maybe where you live there is not alot of difference in the prices between organic and non but where I live there is.

I'm sure you are a superb shopper. I ment the statement as a general "you" not specifically at you individually. I wasn't trying to insult you. Apologies if it seemed that way.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 PM

23,913 posts, read 33,731,226 times
I agree that the show is reaching the end but I still enjoy it.

Quote:
Perhaps Jon is exibiting self control instead of yelling and having melt downs on television like she does. Perhaps he doesn't want to make an ass out of himself on television because he saw something about himself on the show that embarrassed him. At least Jon is in touch with his family and has a relationship with them, you certainly don't hear Kate talk about HER family. If those traits make him a loser, then God help society.
We don't know the story behind Kate & her family. How do we know they didn't have a problem with her marrying an Asian guy? We don't.

Quote:
Perhaps they were in love when they married, but maybe the stress of having a camera crew in their home so much, becoming celebrities and having 8 children is wearing on their relationship.
Of course the camera crew has affected their marriage.
Jon used to be at work. He's now around it all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I think people are just tired of them being in the spotlight. I'm sure there are lots of celebs that people would love to see retire. I don't think they are great examples of parenting. Yes, they are definitely far better than a lot but IMO they are far from great examples.
Yeah like Katie with Suri in winter with no coat.

Quote:
Perhaps people wouldn't be so tired of them if they did something about Mady's poor behavior and Kate wasn't belittling Jon all the time. yes, that may be the way their relationship works.
There is a reason she's like that. For someone not there or if you don't know a kid like that, it's easy to say she's this and she's that. She probably doesn't realize she's even doing it.

The child probably has ADD. Her brain is going a mile a minute.
She could also have Oppositional Defiant Disorder which could be brought on by untreated ADD. I wish they would take Maddy off of the show so that she doesn't have to get any backlash. I wish they would edit her bad days out. That's the only way I would do any more seasons.

Quote:
But to belittle him over everything on national TV week after week takes a toll on people.
If you have been following this post, I posted about one show where Jon wasn't being nice either. It takes two; and IMO I think a lot of it is editing.

You watch LPBW, do you go to Matt's forum? He's said over & over about how his show is edited. He used to post on the boards at TLC but stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Totally disagree. A man can easily see the nature of a woman, the love or lack thereof, regardless of the 'face' that is put on it. I know plenty of women who in public act like they adore their husbands, and when they get home it's a totally different story. I hope Jon doesn't do anything stupid, because he has a rare bird.
I wish I could rep all of your posts!

Quote:
I actually think it is Kate who has a rare bird. I don't know many men who would tolerate being berated, talked down to, made fun of and disrespected like Kate does to Jon all on national television, I always think if she is willing to talk to him like that with an audience how bad she must be when the cameras go off. It would be interesting to get more men's takes on this because quite frankly most of what I hear is what a *#tch Kate is.

I also don't think they are the best parents they have one very out of control little girl who is going to get in alot of trouble as she gets older if they don't get a handle on her behavior. If they are the models of a loving marriage and good parenting then our world really sucks
I don't know many women that would put up with an unmotivated man.

Quote:
I do want the program to end, as it has gotten old a LONG time ago, and has made Kate Gosselin a wealthy woman at the expense of the privacy of her children.
If you want it to end, stop watching it.
Right now it is the highest ranking show the channel has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Well, I saw the last show of the season and it was uncomfortable for ME to watch. I don't know that I've ever seen two more miserable people sitting side by side.

Kate's voice going on and on about the Harlem Globetrotters was somewhat emotionless. Jon had LITTLE to say. I'd much rather see the children than Jon and Kate. Kate kept saying that she was loving what she was doing and poor Jon was just "frustrated".

His "story" of helping his mom didn't even appear to be true. He kept looking down and muttering. Kate looked like a mom that was just disappointed in her child's actions.
I haven't seen it yet, for some reason my DVR didn't record it.
I read that the interview was changed after the stuff with Jon & that college.

Quote:
Yes there are some who HAVE to go away for buiness trips to keep a JOB, food on the table and a roof over their heads. If Jon and Kate are able to purchase a 1.3 million dollar home plus whatever condo they purchased in Utah, I think it's quite safe to say that Kate does not need to be away a lot to keep food on the table. There's a difference.
I think that they know the show isn't going to be on much longer and whatever they will make now will be banked. I also think they will then end up like the Dilley's, doing specials every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Kate's choice? OK - regardless of your feelings for Kate - the house needs to be paid for and I don't see Jon out there doing anything. I suppose Kate could go back to nursing and take on extra shifts to pay for that house - she'd be gone just as much and they'd have less. Would you be happy then? Or they could both get jobs and have a nanny - would that be better? I wasn't mentioning other celebrities - just the concept that many many people have to travel for their jobs - I don't know why Kate traveling is any different.....
good post. can't rep you!

Quote:
It's a shame, because the original attraction to the show was those adorable kids.

Now TLC is going to force A Table for 12 down our throats during commercial breaks for the next few months.
I wanted to watch with an open mind but it's the family that makes J&K+8.. Table for 12 will never be a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I thought Jon worked from home now. That's what was said on the show last night.
Jon manages the family business.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,362,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There is a reason she's like that. For someone not there or if you don't know a kid like that, it's easy to say she's this and she's that. She probably doesn't realize she's even doing it.

The child probably has ADD. Her brain is going a mile a minute.
She could also have Oppositional Defiant Disorder which could be brought on by untreated ADD. I wish they would take Maddy off of the show so that she doesn't have to get any backlash. I wish they would edit her bad days out. That's the only way I would do any more seasons.

If you have been following this post, I posted about one show where Jon wasn't being nice either. It takes two; and IMO I think a lot of it is editing.

You watch LPBW, do you go to Matt's forum? He's said over & over about how his show is edited. He used to post on the boards at TLC but stopped.

I do realize that Mady probably has issues that are deeper than just being a difficult child, and I'm not on here complaining. I'm commenting on people complaining about her behavior and nothing being done about it.

No, I don't bother with reading what the Roloffs, the Gosselins or the Duggars have to say on their own sites or forums. I know the shows are edited. I believe the vast majority of people watching the shows know they are edited. There is very little on TV that is true reality thanks to editing.

I don't care for this particular show as I think Kate has really changed from the beginning and the fame has gone to her head, so I do not watch it anymore. I still enjoy the Roloffs and the Duggars at this point. I watch LPBW to remind myself how lucky I am not to have fame and to see someone who is on TV who isn't a neat freak and has a less than perfect home. I oftentimes will read while watching the show as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV