Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,824,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I actually think it is Kate who has a rare bird. I don't know many men who would tolerate being berated, talked down to, made fun of and disrespected like Kate does to Jon all on national television, I always think if she is willing to talk to him like that with an audience how bad she must be when the cameras go off. It would be interesting to get more men's takes on this because quite frankly most of what I hear is what a *#tch Kate is.

I also don't think they are the best parents they have one very out of control little girl who is going to get in alot of trouble as she gets older if they don't get a handle on her behavior. If they are the models of a loving marriage and good parenting then our world really sucks.
You can see the love that Kate has for Jon - that is more important than her tendancy to shoot off her mouth now and then. I'm sure Jon recognizes that, as well as his own tendency to bottle everything up and explode sporatically. Believe me, there is no such thing as a perfect woman, and there is much worse out there. Kate is attractive, intelligent, and interesting - those 3 qualities put her in the 90th percentile of what's out there.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,824,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
When you agree to be on a reality show exposing your life to the public, you have to accept that there are going to be negative responses and opinions as well as positive.
Do you know Kate personally to say she is a lovely woman ? The persona she dislpays on the program is less than "lovely" to many, many people. If she sees herself as being bossy, b*tchy, condescending to her husband etc and doesn't think it represents the Kate, then she has had plenty of opportunities to change her behavior while being filmed and interviewed.
That has been discussed and agreed upon long ago.
I'm curious as to who you think would benefit from watching their show ? She is not a horrible parent, and neither is Jon, but they certainly are not good examples to "bad parents". All she has shown is how to alienate her family, be obsessive compulsive about things, which in turn will make some of her children like that, and that exploiting your situation can make you a wealthy celebrity and allow for housekeepers and "helpers" as she refers to those who step in to take care of her children. Their parenting skills in regards to Mady is an obvious failure, that little brat needs to be counseled. Hopefully they see that and are doing so behind the scenes.
She admits she goes away often on business trips, no doubt to make MONEY. I don't consider that parent of the year material.
I don't know whether to laugh at this remark or be angry. I am so sick and tired of people pulling out the the racism/victim card when it is not warranted, which in this case it is NOT. There are plenty of REAL racism situations going on that need to be addressed. This is not one of them.
Lastly, I don't think anyone here wants to see them break up, I think people are speculating as to the way that TLC advertised the season finale, along with other problems they see. I for one do NOT want to see them break up, it would be a tragedy to those children. I do want the program to end, as it has gotten old a LONG time ago, and has made Kate Gosselin a wealthy woman at the expense of the privacy of her children.
Kate and Jon are both to be commended for not only entertaining us, but for providing great examples of how to parent. Kate does not deserve the negative commentary, and I would only believe it if Jon said it. There are minor character flaws in everyone, Jon has them as well as Kate, but in terms of overall quality of character, they exceed most of what I see in everyday life here in America, or as represented on the tube. TV has so much garbage on it, it was a refreshing change of pace. I think Jon is upset over the minor celebrity and attendant lack of privacy, and is ready to pack it in. There are many with loads of kids wanting to take their place, but what made them interesting was their intelligence and personality - not easily found.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,081,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
You can see the love that Kate has for Jon - that is more important than her tendancy to shoot off her mouth now and then.
Perhaps you underestimate the damage a sharp tongue can do, even if (especially if) you know the person really loves you.

Using Kate as an example, I haven't heard her berate her other helpers, store clerks, etc. Why is it excusable to treat those you love worse than you would ever treat a stranger or acquaintance?

Again, I wouldn't want to be married to someone with either one of their personalities...but they chose each other.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:28 AM

23,921 posts, read 33,760,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
No, I don't bother with reading what the Roloffs, the Gosselins or the Duggars have to say on their own sites or forums. I know the shows are edited. I believe the vast majority of people watching the shows know they are edited. There is very little on TV that is true reality thanks to editing.

I don't care for this particular show as I think Kate has really changed from the beginning and the fame has gone to her head, so I do not watch it anymore. I still enjoy the Roloffs and the Duggars at this point. I watch LPBW to remind myself how lucky I am not to have fame and to see someone who is on TV who isn't a neat freak and has a less than perfect home. I oftentimes will read while watching the show as well.
I watched LPBW a few weeks ago and was amazed at how much the house has changed. IMO, I wouldn't doubt Matt has spent just as much, if not more then J&K spent on their new house. I don;t know why Matt didn't just bulldoze the house.

Yes, Matt is still down to earth; I give him a lot of credit.
I've noticed that Amy also tries to watch her speech just like Kate does.
As far as the house, that was a huge topic on the TLC message board and people would pick apart how Amy said she's not going to change the way she keeps the house due to cameras. I've defended Amy many times on that board & stopped going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
You can see the love that Kate has for Jon - that is more important than her tendancy to shoot off her mouth now and then. I'm sure Jon recognizes that, as well as his own tendency to bottle everything up and explode sporatically. Believe me, there is no such thing as a perfect woman, and there is much worse out there. Kate is attractive, intelligent, and interesting - those 3 qualities put her in the 90th percentile of what's out there.
You may have hit the nail on the head; he does seem to bottle it up & I also wonder if after the cameras leave if the real Jon comes out.

I managed to watch the Globetrotter one last night, there looks to be a huge difference between the way they sat on the couch for that and the next one which I haven't seen yet. To me, it looks like it very well could have been shot after the college drinking thing with Jon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Perhaps you underestimate the damage a sharp tongue can do, even if (especially if) you know the person really loves you.

Using Kate as an example, I haven't heard her berate her other helpers, store clerks, etc. Why is it excusable to treat those you love worse than you would ever treat a stranger or acquaintance?

Again, I wouldn't want to be married to someone with either one of their personalities...but they chose each other.
I actually think that what we are seeing coming out of her mouth, in addition to editing is dry humor. Not everyone gets it. I do, which might be why I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 AM

23,921 posts, read 33,760,533 times
BTW, those that like the show, there is a post for that here

Old 03-26-2009, 12:14 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,544,767 times
I don't know where here is but if you are the few that find this show good please run to here. I have been on other boards and most people are sick of this family. God bless the kids and they need to get away from the camera and deal with their issues

Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,538,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I actually think that what we are seeing coming out of her mouth, in addition to editing is dry humor. Not everyone gets it. I do, which might be why I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.
There's just no reason to be on TV, though. Each and every one of us had some sort of family. TLC knows this and if that's what people want to see then that's what they offer--isn't there a 'Baby Boom' of some sort going on--a huge market for this sort of show.

I suppose we'll never know how much $$$ they have made, must be a lot.

Eh--several decades ago the book 'Cheaper by the Dozen' was a big hit. They made a movie and then remade the movie--with Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt. I wasn't terribly impressed.

oh well

Old 03-26-2009, 01:22 PM

102 posts, read 143,872 times
Not quite over watching the show (then again, I started late, only about a year ago), but close to it. In defense of Kate, though, I think that both Jon and Kate equally have their good and bad points (in dealing with each other as well as the kids). And that it looks to be a case where the one compliments the other in ways that are needed, so you know, whatever floats their boat.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:39 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,081,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Humor??
Berating your husband, screaming at him in public, referring to him as a 'helper' just as she does her other helpers (you know, the ones she pays), bossing and nagging, doesn't seem like any kind of humor at all. But it doesn't matter what I think. What should matter is that Jon doesn't seem to appreciate her brand of humor either.

I was watching the episode when they picked out new beds for the kids. Good grief...I would rather jumped off the roof of the building if I had to endure that, JUST BUY A BED ALREADY!!! I really wish they would have timed the ordeal. What a crazy thing to try to do with 8 kids and when they start to get bored, grumpy, misbehaving and painfully constipated IT'S TIME TO GO HOME, not fuss at your husband for not managing it all better. Here's an idea, Jon stays home with the kids and they all play in the backyard while Kate goes to the furniture store to obsess over bunk beds. THen she can come home and complain that he put them in the wrong shoes and coats.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:12 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,674,655 times
She is definitely portrayed as a harpy on the show but I can't believe people watch this show based on the fact that her vagina is a clown car (my wife watches while I am in the room, unfortunately). Another great example of rewarding irresponsible behavior. I have heard them mention many times that they would have been in deep financial trouble if not for the show. So why have kids in the first place if you can't afford them?

Before anyone jumps on me about this, remember she is the one who was hopped up on fertility drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV