Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,087,407 times

Advertisements

So true. I guess you read my posts about Tyler citizens, in a city wide election in 1995 were ask what "items" they wanted the city to spend city sales taxes and CITY property tax revenue on/for.

The city attorney interpreted the election results to MEAN that no tax revenue could be spent on DIRECT job creation. The word DIRECT can/could be interpreted several ways, according to the City of Tyler Economical Development Head. To his dismay, he can not compete to the final step to convince new companies to move to Tyler. But years later, he said to me, if the city doesn't care whether I can achieve a goal given to me to convince in companies to locate in Tyler, then, okay, if you think you are still satisfied with my job performance then, your happy, I'm happy. lol

Therefore, as you said, it is at least interesting in that the "playing" field is not equal for job creation competition between cities. Longview has a city tax rate approximately 300%, three/3 times greater than Tyler and Longview does spend money on direct job creation, how successfully is debatable. Now, of course Longview's tax rate is NOT 3 times higher ENTIRELY because they SPEND revenue on job creation, many other factors are involved in the higher tax rate. Tyler's rate would be only very slightly higher if they DID spend a specific dollar amount, set aside for good paying jobs. Those that would allow the new employee to buy/build homes to be placed on tax rolls and income would be large enough to significantly increase sales tax revenue, IMO.

But, this does get away from your well taken observation of an equal playing field for competition for jobs and what is the role of government in this. In my opinion I would think job creation on a very limited scale should be included in the function of a city. Now, another reason, for this position, soon Tyler will be and just did increase city property taxes because of falling sales taxes. Due to several factors. Tyler will likely continue to NEED to increase the property tax rate to just maintain current level of city services. Why, because sales taxes are likely to continue to decrease not alone increase which they have been budgeted to do each year.

Side note, sales taxes will likely continue to slowly decrease as more and more people shop on line, where currently there are no city sales taxes collected. Off, subject, but Tyler depends on approximately 65% of the city revenue on sales taxes, the remaining largely on property taxes. Most cities the reverse of those figures is true, majority from property taxes. I asked the outgoing mayor what will Tyler depend on for revenue, her exact words were "they think sales tax revenue will carry the city". My position, NOT carry the city.

Oh just to remind, Tyler has the lowest city property tax rate in Texas of any city over 17,000, great, so great Whitehouse city officials asked Tyler city officials if Tyler would consider annexing Whitehouse if Whitehouse were to unincorporate, WH tax rate is 3 times Tyler, Tyler of course declined the offer.

I contend in Tyler's case you could have a very GOOD city tax rate not THE lowest AND have job creation, and as far as that goes, many more city amenities, such as civic center, amusement activities, and many more I haven't even thought of, because this is even farther off subject, lol,

I gave you a rep for your response, again well taken.

Last edited by Mark Senior; 11-06-2016 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 AM

130 posts, read 122,517 times
Attached Thumbnails
Bring Back Metro Matt and Mark Senior Development News & Analysis-screen-shot-2016-11-09-10.25.51  

Old 11-11-2016, 10:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vavi78 View Post
Yay! I love this restaurant.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:23 PM

Tyler Morning Telegraph - El Guapo Records to offer old school vinyl records in Tyler

Old 11-17-2016, 11:09 PM

This article on line did not list the employment increase, to be announced later.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Lo...ce-more-brands

Old 11-18-2016, 08:11 AM

Yesterday I saw they have started to build something new on South Broadway. IN the space between the Cumberland Storage and the Urgent Care.
Any news?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Also, what is the something to the right of the new Bahama Bucks Original Shaved Ice Company and the new to be opened soon 3rd location of Salsarita's, just to the right/north of those two places?

Old 11-19-2016, 03:27 PM

I have no Idea we have to find out

Old 11-24-2016, 02:05 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,905,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yay! I love this restaurant.
Tyler needs a Popeyes or do they have one already and a Joe's crab shack but they probably have that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler