Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 05:55 PM

566 posts, read 390,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They're probably crying all the way to the bank.

Competition is good. I like Brookshires but they need some competition. I wish HEB would come here.
Brookshire's to lay off some employees - Story
Crying all the way to the bank huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:57 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
No, sorry, these "were" good paying jobs, at the headquarters, not going to hurt "the Brookshires family". Not good for Tyler either, these employees will have a hard time finding their current "pay level" in Tyler. These are people who largely own homes, their incomes create jobs, so they will even hurt other employees. Just glad this is not a larger number of jobs, yet. As article stated, no store locations will be affected. I'm not happy on that point. But it is what it is, as "they' say.

Yes, we have not noted on city-data, the many thousands of good paying jobs "lost" in Tyler in the last 10-15 years.

The Good Year Tire plant closing I don't remember the jobs lost - 1,000 to 2,000 but it was large enough to make the Channel 4 News 6 O'Clock News, I said "News" in Dallas.

The Carrier Central Air Manufacturing Plant closed down completely last year, after 50 plus years here, 1,000 plus jobs

G.E. Electric now Trane Corp. Central Air Manufacturing Plant, transferred jobs to Louisiana, new plant, and Mexico, I guess new plant there as well about 1,000 jobs total. Still have about 800-1,200 employees in Tyler.

Many other jobs, that total about 5,000 jobs, have been lost, I'm "told".

But what is important as well, I studied many years ago, that with every 1 (one) good paying job created, there are at least l, supply, service job created. So you see the "double whammy" affect of all these job losses.

What has "saved" Tyler, somewhat, in total number of jobs in Tyler, has been the steady increase in medical related jobs over this same 15 year time period. This INCREASE is not really continuing at that "pace' at this time. Yes, some modest job growth, but Trinity Mother Francis has/had cut back several hundred employees in the last three years. I don't "think" that is continuing with the recent new medical facilities now being built, some of the construction you "see" is just transferring jobs from the regional medical center to locations in various parts of South Tyler. Oh well, this too, is what it is.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:16 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Losing 85 jobs out of 14,400 in a city of 100,000 people really doesnt seem like a big deal to me

Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
Brookshire's to lay off some employees - Story
Crying all the way to the bank huh.

Yep - they're still a very profitable company.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:39 AM

566 posts, read 390,864 times
Not as they once were. It happens to everyone.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:57 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Not development "news". I usually try out about a third or less of the new "places" in Tyler. Today I went to the Bahama Bucks "Original Shaved Iced Company". Located where they're currently building four establishments, of all sorts. This is just south of Grande and on the west side of Broadway. I had a 12 oz. Cherry Colada. Really good, heavy on the cherry flavor. I'm glad the lady in front of me in line took a long time to order. It gave me time to read the more than 50 combinations available.

Fast service They had a staff of 10, oh, so maybe next summer this is where some of the Brookshire employees can go for a job, not tomorrow though.

This is pretty much going to be the "last true day of summer" lol. Probably only a small chance or one or two more days in the 88-92 degree temperature range. They will probably need only about a 2 or 3 of the 10 employees in the next three days. Moms were bringing their kids and grand kids, much of the rest of the "crowd" were high school teens, so I fit "right in" lol.

I will be back when it's warmer. You need to bring a little cash, of course, minimum order was about $2.69 for 8 oz, but only a little more for 12oz. 16oz, 24oz. Maybe less than twice as much "cost" for 4 times the size. Yep, the psychology of marketing, yeah, a lot for a little, but "look" for just a "little more" you can have "all that" lol.

They have a "drive thru" as well. Anyway, a thumbs up for this place.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevon Green View Post
Not as they once were. It happens to everyone.
I'm just saying that in spite of a handful of layoffs, Brookshires is still a very profitable company.

Forbes Welcome

They had 2.5 BILLION dollars in sales in 2015. They are ranked #175 in Forbes list of the largest US privately owned companies.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:34 AM

I didn't care much for Thai Kitchen. I will give it one thumbs' up though - it seems to be VERY authentically Thai -almost too much so. Another thumbs' up - it is clean, spacious, and pleasant. I just didn't care much for the Pad Thai that I had - I've had much better elsewhere.

I was also disappointed because they didn't have any Bobba Tea yet, even though it's advertised. They are still waiting on some ingredients.

I'll give it another try in a few weeks because I really like Thai food and Bobba tea. But I wasn't overly impressed the first go round.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:52 PM

130 posts, read 122,369 times
In the next months at village at cumberland Park

H&M
SWEET GOURMET
NEKTER JUICE BAR
GUSTERZ GOURMET POPS
The Beef Jerky Outlet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler