Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:11 PM

51 posts, read 48,081 times

Advertisements

the U.S. has the #1 GDP in the world and a top economy. You might say we are doing something right. I doubt they can achieve that with a bad education system.

Again, test scores and test rankings you have to take them with a grain of salt because there is always a political agenda behind that.

you are ignoring the real problem in Puerto Rico, the public school system is too centralized and too political and too corrupt and it has NOTHING to do with the federal government.

can you bring me data of what you are stating here, like:
Quote:
Puerto Ricans have been in the U.S. for more than 100 years and still their kids fall far behind island Puerto Ricans on every level

So Puerto Rico does it better? LMAO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 08:22 PM

87 posts, read 147,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
In fact most schools of higher education that I know of have remedial reading classes because kids can't read or analyze concepts on a University level.

Since the island has picked up educational policies from the U.S education on the island has hit record lows.

In addition, Puerto Ricans have been in the U.S. for more than 100 years and still their kids fall far behind island Puerto Ricans on every level.
1. I keep asking you what Universities you attended in the US, but you won't answer the question. Maybe you taught there?

2. Since the island has picked up US education policies? There were NO schools for Puerto Ricans before the US arrived, NONE.

3. Interesting point. You are right that Puerto Ricans have been in the US for 100 years and they have fallen behind other groups that migrated there, but they all went to the same schools, so the educational system is not the answer. I do not know what the answer is, but I think we can exclude certain commonalities.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM

87 posts, read 147,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clip314 View Post
In the U.S kids are lucky if they speak English correctly and its awfully weird that these same folks are dictating educational standards to Ricans.
BTW. the last time I checked the standardized test scores , there were 1509 public schools in PR and 1224 were failing Spanish and 1176 were failing math.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM

true, before the U.S. arrived in Puerto Rico in 1898, there were NO universities or junior colleges in the island. Without U.S. funds the education system in Puerto Rico would crumble and only the elites and the upper class would have the means for a good education.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
The US Department of Education does NOT dictate policy, they administer the Federal education grants to the states and territories of the nation.

Puerto Rico's education policy is determined entirely by the Puerto Rico Department of Education same as in New York, Idaho, or Alabama. Of course, this is where politics (especially status politics) and political hacks come into play. The major difference in terms of education (beyond the language of instruction) is that in Puerto Rico everything is very centralized where as on the mainland local school boards have a great deal of control.

Polling has indicated that Puerto Ricans want to be bilingual ... the problem is implementing it in a manner that it can become reality.

Old 03-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The US Department of Education does NOT dictate policy, they administer the Federal education grants to the states and territories of the nation.

Puerto Rico's education policy is determined entirely by the Puerto Rico Department of Education same as in New York, Idaho, or Alabama. Of course, this is where politics (especially status politics) and political hacks come into play. The major difference in terms of education (beyond the language of instruction) is that in Puerto Rico everything is very centralized where as on the mainland local school boards have a great deal of control.

Polling has indicated that Puerto Ricans want to be bilingual ... the problem is implementing it in a manner that it can become reality.

add that is very hard to FIRE a bad public school teacher in Puerto Rico, they basically have to get caught having SEX with the student or some heavy criminal stuff to get fire and even that the Teacher's Union will fight for the teacher.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:49 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Quote:

I agree with WIHS. Same as the other states, the local governments choose their education policies.

Chicooeste> If you choose another font at the top it will look different!!

Old 03-02-2014, 08:55 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewill2014 View Post
add that is very hard to FIRE a bad public school teacher in Puerto Rico, they basically have to get caught having SEX with the student or some heavy criminal stuff to get fire and even that the Teacher's Union will fight for the teacher.
Sounds like New York

A teacher here in NY could pull out an Uzi and mow down an entire kindergarten classroom and not be fired.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Sounds like New York

A teacher here in NY could pull out an Uzi and mow down an entire kindergarten classroom and not be fired.

that's what happens when a teacher's union in a city is above our children's education and welfare and is too political and powerful. In Puerto Rico they are part of the problem. They are against any reform that takes away power and control from them.

Don't get me wrong, there are good teachers in Puerto Rico but they get dragged down by the bad ones who are nearly impossible to fire and a centralized political system of red and blue which any real reform is kill for political reasons like any government agency in Puerto Rico.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
My Dad was born in PR but raised on the Mainland. He worked for the federal government and when I was in high school, he had a chance to transfer to PR. Since he worked for the govt., us kids got to go to school on a military base. Believe me, there were many people who would try to game the system to get their kids into the base schools.

For years, anyone who had the money and cared about their kids' educations would put them in private schools. I remember the first time I met my PR relatives. I noticed one cousin who went to public schools yet he knew very little English. Another cousin went to Catholic schools and she was fluent in English even though neither of her parents had full English fluency. I asked my Dad why one cousin was English-fluent but the other wasn't. He told me that the private schools did a far better job when it came to teaching English.

Interestingly enough, now there are magnet public schools for kids who have Spanish as a second language. Most of the kids in these schools have parents who were Puerto Ricans who were raised on the Mainland but decided to move to PR. Their kids either don't know Spanish or know very little.

So, OP, if your husband wants to take that job transfer, ask about the local private schools. Is his company willing to help with school tuition? At one time, it was standard, and expected, that companies would pay for this. These days, who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories