Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmprchitown View Post
I have an interesting angle that I would like discuss with all of my Latino's. I am a Puerto Rican living in San Diego, CA. I am active in the Puerto Rican functions here is SOCAL. We are a small community but have a real effective commerce sense in our districts. We work in conjunction with the Mexican American community which has been very instrumental in our success. Mexicans are usually our number 1 consumer base in SOCAL. Because of my initiatives I have taken alot of advise from my contemporaries in both Chicago, and New York City. I have also been in contact with some high profiled activist from Philadelphia, and Orlando, FL. When I visit these cities I notice that other Latino's in those cities seem to be more organized and on a higher economic plain that the Puerto Ricans living in the aforementioned communities other than Chicago. In Chicago by sheer numbers the Mexican community has more access to businesses but by no stretch do they out do the Puerto Rican community per capita.

I also notice that all of the bodegas in the Three Puerto Rican communities in Chicago were owned by Puerto Ricans, including bodegas near Wrigley Field and in some Mexican communities. When I went to New York all of the bodegas and I mean all of the bodegas were owned by Dominicans, Asians, and Arabs. I thought that maybe I was just in the wrong places in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. But my freinds and family state that the Puerto Rican bodegas sold their stores to the Dominicans in the 1970's and 80's. Why would the Puerto Rican community in New York not have self representation, when you include our census, and presence? Me and my wife went to Orlando and wanted to eat some Puerto Rican food, in a city that has over 100,000 Puerto Ricans. We only found one Puerto Rican restaurant who was owned by Dominicans. I went to Chicago and we had about 150 Puerto Rican restaurants to choose from, Chicago even invented the Jibarito sandwich and made it a popular food to eat in Chicago. Chicago I believe on Division Street has two large steel Puerto Rican Flags called a Paseo Boricua, and boy the Puerto Ricans there have that locked down to a tee. So my question is why is it that Puerto Ricans in Chicago have it better than the Puerto Ricans in New York. I read that Chicago has deep rooted Puerto Rican gangs that were supported by middle class to rich Puerto Ricans. So maybe is dirty money converted into clean money, like the Irish and Italians did. This is weird and I am lost on the answer. Also some Puerto Ricans in New York say that they are proud to be Puerto Rican and don't try to immulate other races or cultures, and one guy said that the Puerto Ricans in New York try to be black, a culture that is not one to mirror. Give me your feedback.

My feedback on this sentence is, why do you say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmprchitown View Post
I have an interesting angle that I would like discuss with all of my Latino's. I am a Puerto Rican living in San Diego, CA. I am active in the Puerto Rican functions here is SOCAL. We are a small community but have a real effective commerce sense in our districts. We work in conjunction with the Mexican American community which has been very instrumental in our success. Mexicans are usually our number 1 consumer base in SOCAL. Because of my initiatives I have taken alot of advise from my contemporaries in both Chicago, and New York City. I have also been in contact with some high profiled activist from Philadelphia, and Orlando, FL. When I visit these cities I notice that other Latino's in those cities seem to be more organized and on a higher economic plain that the Puerto Ricans living in the aforementioned communities other than Chicago. In Chicago by sheer numbers the Mexican community has more access to businesses but by no stretch do they out do the Puerto Rican community per capita.

I also notice that all of the bodegas in the Three Puerto Rican communities in Chicago were owned by Puerto Ricans, including bodegas near Wrigley Field and in some Mexican communities. When I went to New York all of the bodegas and I mean all of the bodegas were owned by Dominicans, Asians, and Arabs. I thought that maybe I was just in the wrong places in Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. But my freinds and family state that the Puerto Rican bodegas sold their stores to the Dominicans in the 1970's and 80's. Why would the Puerto Rican community in New York not have self representation, when you include our census, and presence? Me and my wife went to Orlando and wanted to eat some Puerto Rican food, in a city that has over 100,000 Puerto Ricans. We only found one Puerto Rican restaurant who was owned by Dominicans. I went to Chicago and we had about 150 Puerto Rican restaurants to choose from, Chicago even invented the Jibarito sandwich and made it a popular food to eat in Chicago. Chicago I believe on Division Street has two large steel Puerto Rican Flags called a Paseo Boricua, and boy the Puerto Ricans there have that locked down to a tee. So my question is why is it that Puerto Ricans in Chicago have it better than the Puerto Ricans in New York. I read that Chicago has deep rooted Puerto Rican gangs that were supported by middle class to rich Puerto Ricans. So maybe is dirty money converted into clean money, like the Irish and Italians did. This is weird and I am lost on the answer. Also some Puerto Ricans in New York say that they are proud to be Puerto Rican and don't try to immulate other races or cultures, and one guy said that the Puerto Ricans in New York try to be black, a culture that is not one to mirror. Give me your feedback.

tell that guy and any other person that think the word puerto rican and the word black can be compared to each other is nuts. theres black people in puerto rico and whites too(of varous euro backgrounds and mixbags)

black is not exclusively to to american blacks lol.. black culture is a world wide saying many things in puerto rican culture is black in their own sense that were created by african slaves.

african americans are american by national origin and
black by race

dont tell me you think puerto rican and latino are racial terms lol

Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
My feedback on this sentence is, why do you say that?

exactly they are a confused nationality, this is why nationality should not be used here in the states it dumbs down people.

if i went to brasil i would be called what blacks are there are called not any other name, nationality wise i would be american to many of the people

i hate when people compare black to words like latino, or even nationalities

Old 09-19-2009, 09:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
tell that guy and any other person that think the word puerto rican and the word black can be compared to each other is nuts. theres black people in puerto rico and whites too(of varous euro backgrounds and mixbags)
Indeed, there are blacks, whites, and everything in between. However, black Puerto Ricans are different culturally to African-Americans, the same way that white Puerto Ricans are culturally different to your typical white American. Puerto Ricans as a group, whether they are black or white, tend to share the same culture. I believe the previous poster was comparing Puerto Ricans as a whole to African Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
dont tell me you think puerto rican and latino are racial terms lol
I know what you mean. I cringe whenever I have to fill a form and the only option is to put Hispanic as race or put my race and deny I'm Hispanic.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:59 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Indeed, there are blacks, whites, and everything in between. However, black Puerto Ricans are different culturally to African-Americans, the same way that white Puerto Ricans are culturally different to your typical white American. Puerto Ricans as a group, whether they are black or white, tend to share the same culture. I believe the previous poster was comparing Puerto Ricans as a whole to African Americans.

I know what you mean. I cringe whenever I have to fill a form and the only option is to put Hispanic as race or put my race and deny I'm Hispanic.
It is illegal for companies to ask you what is your race. You should sue them!

Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,937 times
a true puerto rican is one who walk up proud with him or her head up,becauce he or she know what! the first puerto rican when throught. remmber the beautiful island that we come from wwwow.let all be proud that and more!. do so by yours acting ..Vive Puerto Rico. el mi gente ......love

Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
the u.s is not the only one suffering from immigrants working for nothing and not many jobs for our own people.puerto has had thousands of dominicans immigrate each year making the island extremely overcrowded and very limited opportunities for their people.opinions please.
a dominican friend of min said the same thing of haitians in DR

Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Regarding the comment about the status of PRs in NYC versus other enclaves, the history of the population there is greatly DISSIMILAR to any other PR enclave throughout the country. The Bronx, South Bronx in particular, was literally burning, as were many parts of the city. What was the result? Well the general dinisvestment in these communities of color, coupled with the total abandonement and razing of entire neighborhoods meant that those of any means/education/ambitions LEFT, along with every other color. They say it was white flight, but at the time it was as much class-flight as well. What was left? A decimated community of PRs/Blacks that were the least educated, least capable, poorest, with the fewest resources.

So you ask why you went to NYC and could not find a PR restaurant, for example, well, it's probably because those who had the means to open a restaurant (money/skills/connections/education) either closed their restuarant and left, or simply left the city and opened a restaurant elsewhere. Therefore, if you want to experience a middle class PR community with restaurants etc, you don't go to the Bronx (in general), despite the fact that there is a large population of them (though shrinking), you go to places where the middle class PRs fled to/migrated to, like Pennslvania, NJ, Florida, and other states across the country.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 12,747 times
OH MY GOD, I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST THEM BUT THEY ARE MAKING THE ISLAND REALLY BAD, THE DOMINICANS THAT GOES TO THE ISLAND ARE THE BAD ONES, POOR ONES. THEY STEAL, THEY ARE POOR, THEY Want benefit and they even have prostitution there. bars and drugs. This is a subject that has no end. la culpa es de la gente en P.R por ayudarlos y dejarlos alli. I had meat boricuas who get marry to them just for the papers, come on people we are good but no es para tanto. despues que nosotros los boricuas los ayudamos y ellos se mudan paara U.S hablan mierda de nosotros. in a few years we won't have an island. U.S need to take action and take ALL immigrants off the island, poor island is so bad right not due to them. And the funny part is they don't want haitianos in santo domingo but then they come to my island? WTF? I will start writing letters to the president to please help and take all those immigrants back to santo domingo. I prefer to see the island off the map than to see it full of dominicans. La isla esta bien mala y la gente no puede vivir con ellos por eso se van. PLEASE BORICUAS IS OUR ISLAND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR IT WILL BE TOO LATE

DOMINICANS GET OUT OF PUERTO RICO, GO BACK TO UR COUNTRY, IT IS PRETTY BIG. LEAVE US ALONG. LEAVE US ALONG. leave my island along.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:28 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puertora1 View Post
OH MY GOD, I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING AGAINST THEM BUT THEY ARE MAKING THE ISLAND REALLY BAD, THE DOMINICANS THAT GOES TO THE ISLAND ARE THE BAD ONES, POOR ONES. THEY STEAL, THEY ARE POOR, THEY Want benefit and they even have prostitution there. bars and drugs. This is a subject that has no end. la culpa es de la gente en P.R por ayudarlos y dejarlos alli. I had meat boricuas who get marry to them just for the papers, come on people we are good but no es para tanto. despues que nosotros los boricuas los ayudamos y ellos se mudan paara U.S hablan mierda de nosotros. in a few years we won't have an island. U.S need to take action and take ALL immigrants off the island, poor island is so bad right not due to them. And the funny part is they don't want haitianos in santo domingo but then they come to my island? WTF? I will start writing letters to the president to please help and take all those immigrants back to santo domingo. I prefer to see the island off the map than to see it full of dominicans. La isla esta bien mala y la gente no puede vivir con ellos por eso se van. PLEASE BORICUAS IS OUR ISLAND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT OR IT WILL BE TOO LATE

DOMINICANS GET OUT OF PUERTO RICO, GO BACK TO UR COUNTRY, IT IS PRETTY BIG. LEAVE US ALONG. LEAVE US ALONG. leave my island along.
Welcome to what the rest of country is going through. The federal government won't listen, I have been writing letters to my congressmen and senators for years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories