Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times

Advertisements

I thought it might be helpful to get a list going of customs/things that may seem strange to newcomers to Puerto Rico. They aren't necessarily bad just very different and require getting used to. For example:

Most businesses/medical offices keep their doors locked. They generally have a door bell outside that you ring and then you are buzzed in. I'm not sure why they do this as they let anyone who rings in so it doesn't seem to be a security measure.

Police cars and ambulances routinely travel with their lights flashing. You don't have to stop unless they have a siren on.

When the light turns green the traffic facing you usually has a red light so you can turn left without waiting for traffic.

You can not buy hardware items or small appliances after 5:00 p.m. on Sundays even though the store may be open. (I think I have this right, if not, please correct me.)

Children in grade schools must purchase "bookbags" which are like suitcases on wheels and lug their books back and forth each day rather than keeping them in a desk at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
I thought it was really strange how the coffins in cemeteries were above the ground. I've never seen that before.

Also, the service roads were strange. I've never seen each service road on each side that goes both ways.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,375,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
. . .
Also, the service roads were strange. I've never seen each service road on each side that goes both ways.
I still haven't figured out the right of way on these!

Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
I thought it was really strange how the coffins in cemeteries were above the ground. I've never seen that before.

LOl really? I never seen coffins above the ground. Yep is been a long time since I don't go to the island lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,123 times
I love seeing the cops drive around with lights on all the time, sure makes them easier to see, hehe.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
LOl really? I never seen coffins above the ground. Yep is been a long time since I don't go to the island lol.
It may not be every cemetery, but definitely this one I passed in the Arecibo area.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
It may not be every cemetery, but definitely this one I passed in the Arecibo area.
I know what you are talking about now... Those aren't coffins lol, because the coffins are down below. So if you would open that up you would see the coffins down below. However I do not know the name of that lol, or maybe you are right I don't know lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Police cars and ambulances routinely travel with their lights flashing. You don't have to stop unless they have a siren on.
That certainly gives the drug dealers plenty of time to hide the stash, since they can see the bright blue lights from 3 blocks away.

And I want to add one more: you can legally run a red light between midnight and 5:00 AM after coming to a complete stop and looking both ways, just as if it were a STOP sign.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I know what you are talking about now... Those aren't coffins lol, because the coffins are down below. So if you would open that up you would see the coffins down below. However I do not know the name of that lol, or maybe you are right I don't know lol.
You might be right, but those definitely look like coffins to me, lol. But yeah, that's what I saw.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Above-ground coffins are typical in the Caribbean. The concrete "boxes" are built from cement blocks concreted over and painted, with one end left open. The coffin is slid into the open end, after which the aperture is likewise blocked and concreted in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories